PDA

View Full Version : Sky Digital to TV Capture card

minster
01-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi!,
I have a Winfast tv2000 xprm tv/video capture card fitted in my pc and connected back to VCR Aerial input via (coax) cable. This is allowing me to watch the normal tv programs very well (Both video and audio are good)
My questions are,
I have just ordered Sky Digital from the sky network, and want to know if I will be able to (When the install happens) watch the sky digital programs on my pc? (All paid for and legal)
(2) What if any, extra cabling/hardware will be necessary and is there a wiring diagram that may help.
(3) If the above is not possible, can someone please give me instructions on setting up the TV Capture card above, so that I may be able to play back videos (on my VCR) to my pc?

My technie knowledge is very limited and any help from you would be very much appreciated ... Thanks in anticipation :)

Zippity
01-09-2006, 02:54 PM
Watching Sky on your PC via Winfast is a breeze :)

It is all down to how your connect your coax lead from the decoder.

I think I have my splitter after the decoder running to both the TVs (including the one in the bedroom) and to my PC.

Was so long ago that I set it up :)

Good luck.

Pete O'Neil
01-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Its not possible to watch Sky digital on your PC. The Sky signal is encrypted and Sky dont offer software for decrypting it on the PC. Sky UHF is hackable, but is also illegal. Also even if it was possible to decode Sky Digital you'd need a digital tv decoder as opposed to the analogue one you have now.

You could possibly output the Sky decoder into your PC through video in on the capture card or your video card, but the quality wouldnt be as good, and you would still have to change channels via the Sky remote etc. You could watch and record Sky but the PC wouldnt have any control over the signal.

The_End_Of_Reality
01-09-2006, 03:34 PM
It is completely possible, I do it... I just have a decoder and use the TV out plug on the back of the sky digital decoder to run a coax cable to the TV tuner on my PC.

All you will have to do is plug the coax cable in to both ends and scan for the signal, mine picks up 606.5MHz, this should be standard though...

minster
01-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Thank's guys:)

I have my pc in the lounge (same as the tv and decoder ) and am wanting to be able to watch sky Digital on my pc (and record to hd)
Wanting to be able to copy some of the programs/movies to my PC's hard drive for later copying to dvd on my pc dvd recorder.
Can't see as this being illegal as I am paying for the decoder hire and for the Sky packages?:thumbs:
Alternatively to this I shall be recording these programs to my vcr and then transferring them to pc via capture card for later copying to dvd.
Just thought it would be a lot quicker doing it the first way?

minster
01-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Posting at the same time:thumbs:
Thank you David, that's what I was in need of knowing.
Will keep you posted as to progress when Sky installer arrives
Thank's very much:D

Zippity
01-09-2006, 04:52 PM
I record to the HD from Sky via my Winfast card all the time. Well, the F1 races anyway :)

Here's the Capture Format Profile that I use with my WinFast card:

Video Codec: MPEG - 2 Codec
Capture Size: 720 x 576
Bitrate: 8000 Kbps
Capture Quality: Optimal Compression
Frame Rate: 25.000 fps

Audio Codec: MPEG - 1 Audio Layer - II
Bitrate: 224 kbps

Once captured onto the hard drive (be it directly off the satellite dish or VHS), I edit the file with TMPGEnc DVD Author and then burn to disc using DVD Shrink

The_End_Of_Reality
01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Ha ha.

No problem :)

I also don't see it as being illegal, and I do it here, I feel that it is the same as a VCR or DVD recorder...

Oh, welcome to PressF1 :)

handya
01-09-2006, 06:01 PM
I record to the HD from Sky via my Winfast card all the time. Well, the F1 races anyway :)

Here's the Capture Format Profile that I use with my WinFast card:

Video Codec: MPEG - 2 Codec
Capture Size: 720 x 576
Bitrate: 8000 Kbps
Capture Quality: Optimal Compression
Frame Rate: 25.000 fps

Audio Codec: MPEG - 1 Audio Layer - II
Bitrate: 224 kbps

Once captured onto the hard drive (be it directly off the satellite dish or VHS), I edit the file with TMPGEnc DVD Author and then burn to disc using DVD Shrink

at that bit rate how meany megs does that use pre min or hour?? hdd space is not realy a problem im just interested

godfather
01-09-2006, 06:49 PM
I have both the dish and a conventional TV antenna going into the decoder (there are sockets for both, Dish and RF In) and the TV signal coming out of the decoder (on the RF Out socket) to a distribution amplifier, feeding all the other TV's (and PC's) in the house.

That way, as noted in the posts above, you can watch (the same Sky channel) on any TV or PC, or any non-Sky channel.

The Sky decoder acts as a mixer and outputs the decoded Sky signal as another channel.

While the Sky picture quality is better using the SCART AV connection to the local TV where the decoder is, the re-transmitted signal is still as good as the other channels.

Zippity
01-09-2006, 09:12 PM
at that bit rate how meany megs does that use pre min or hour?? hdd space is not realy a problem im just interested

A normal 2 hour race is about 7GB in size.

Once I have recorded, formatted, edited and compressed the file, using the 2 programmes I mentioned above, the race fits neatly onto a standard 4.7GB DVD.

minster
04-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Just an update!
I had sky digital installed today, the installer just plugged my coax cable coming from the tv card into the sky decoder (As you guys said:thumbs: ) and it's all honky dory:D Works like a charm and the picture recieved on my 17" lcd is as good as the tv picture.
Thank's to you all for your help .... You're life savers:thumbs:

Genick
13-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi, Instead of creating a new thread i thought i would bring this out of the dead.

Today the 'sky man' installed mysky at our house. I want to link it up to my computer so i can a) record sky to hdd. b) watch video from the computer in the lounge.

The sky man suggested we buy a wireless transmitter to do this (as it is a long way from computer - TV).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good wireless transmitter which i can use. Cheers

p.s. he said it was possible to use computer as separate decoder (like you can for UHF) but maybe we shouldn't go into this :P

Genick
13-09-2006, 12:54 PM
couldn't find edit button.

This is my gfx/tuner card
http://www.hennik.orcon.net.nz/Pictures/aiw9800_board%20(Small).jpg

If i was to attempt to connect to the 'mysky' box with a wire to check out if it works, what kind of cable would i need?

(is that a S-video output on card?)
I have limited tech ability sorry.

The_End_Of_Reality
13-09-2006, 05:11 PM
First of all, what make/model is it, a picture is near useless.

It should be a coaxial cable you will need, that is if you weant to run a cable through the house, or even through the roof, but the signal gets reduced relatively quickly doing this...

I would say it might be best to go with wireless, these generally connect using RCA leads, the My Sky should have an output with these or a scart output that ends in RCA... But I can not tell because I don't have the tech specs of your card as to weather this will work... (with the RCA)

And it is always best to create a new thread as it ensures people will look at it and there is nothing more annoying (for me) than people raising threads from the dead when thay have been sorted and finsihed with...

oh and welcome to PressF1 :)

Genick
14-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the friendly welcome ;)

Long time looker first time poster.

Ive got a Radeon All in wonder 9800 Pro. GFx/tuner in one.

Problem it seems with wireless is it is only a one way thing. Is this true? But as i said, i don't know what the inputs are...
thanks

The_End_Of_Reality
14-09-2006, 08:21 AM
No problem :)

Yes, that is the problem with wireless AV Senders/recievers...

But then the input (coaxial) is only a one way thing as well and that will be the best way to connect the TV as there are no RCA plugs, but hang on the black socket, there should be a break out cable for this splitting it into multiple connections (possibly RCA too)

Ok, the purple socket is also and input, you should have a breakout cable for this.

Look at the break out cables and tell me what they are (RCA S Video etc)

Strommer
14-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good wireless transmitter which i can use. Cheers

I use 'GigaAir' wireless units from Dick Smiths. Works great. Use DSE so that in case you do have problems, you can get a full refund within 2 weeks. BTW, I also have a WinFast card, but use it far more for FM Radio, National Radio.