PDA

View Full Version : Strange BIOS message after adding NIC

Agent_24
01-09-2006, 12:23 AM
I have just installed a new network card in my computer, but right after the POST I get a strange message:

D000 Shadow no free ,VIA ROM FM not install !(Yes, I copied it exactly)

Either it's translated badly from a foreign language or I just can't make sense of it... what is a ROM FM anyway :confused:

I understand VIA as this is the chipset of the motherboard....

The computer seems to function normally in all ways except that windows tells me in the sound settings that there is no audio device installed (however all sound still appears to work just fine, and the soundcard is still there in device manager)

SurferJoe46
01-09-2006, 02:49 AM
I Googled it and got a PDF that's 44 pages long about building or installing a board in some sort of computer...but I didn't go all the way thru the pages....

Here's the link to the PDF for you to check out 1st: http://www.pcchipsusa.com/Manual/M762V/m762v-12.pdf :p

My, that looks like an oldie too! P-II!

SurferJoe46
01-09-2006, 04:03 AM
In the interest of fairness...I decided to read thru the posted PDF...and I cannot see any reference to your problem...but I must be wrong....

After all, how could Google's crawler be wrong? :D

TGoddard
01-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Does this network card have a bootrom or slot for a bootrom? Some network cards have an EPROM chip in them to allow network booting on diskless worstations. You don't want this to happen on a normal computer.

Agent_24
01-09-2006, 01:25 PM
I Googled it and got a PDF that's 44 pages long about building or installing a board in some sort of computer...but I didn't go all the way thru the pages....

Here's the link to the PDF for you to check out 1st: http://www.pcchipsusa.com/Manual/M762V/m762v-12.pdf :p

My, that looks like an oldie too! P-II!

I also googled it but came up with a foreign forum site (portugese according to google) which I could not find the post on anyway :(

Does this network card have a bootrom or slot for a bootrom? Some network cards have an EPROM chip in them to allow network booting on diskless worstations. You don't want this to happen on a normal computer.

It does have an SST brand chip soldered on which looks suspiciously like a Flash ROM - and it also added an "Intel Network Boot 2.2" setup thing after POST of which you can press Ctrl-S to configure. I set this to disabled as much as I could, telling the thing to boot locally rather than network.

Agent_24
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Just to let you know I have fixed the problem.

All that's needed is to disable the Boot ROM from loading at POST; download Intel Boot Agent Utility (http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Search.aspx?Prod_nm=proboot.exe) and run

IBAUTIL -FD (FD = FlashDisable)

The random error has gone away and windows now reports my sound device as existing again.

Hope this helps anyone else who gets this problem

Graham L
01-09-2006, 04:12 PM
The "D000 Shadow not free" part of the message probably means that there is already another ROM shadowed to that address. The rest of the message is just a warning that it hasn't been done (I think ;) ). It's not perfect English, but I've seen worse, from native English speakers. :( Shadowing to RAM (copying it to RAM) lets it run faster, but it's hardly necessary for a network boot ROM, I would have thought.

Most video cards (used to, anyway) get their BIOS extension code ROMs shadowed by the BIOS, but these days since most programmes don't use that BIOS code to run the video it might as well be turned off if the BIOS gives an option.

Agent_24
01-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I thought it may have something to do with that, so I also had tried disabling both system and video caching and shadowing, and also tried disabling the sound codec altogether as well (as windows said it didn't exist) and I still got the "D000" message...

Graham L
01-09-2006, 04:24 PM
The video and other rom shadowing has always been done by BIOS code; perhaps the rom on this card does it with its own code the first time it is run. That idea is reinforced by knowing that you had to run a utility to disable it.