PDA

View Full Version : WinXP SP2 now modem connects at 14.4k

Nomad
31-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi, upon installing SP2 the speed of modem has gone down to 14.4k.

I did a format of windows and straight install of SP2, dialup was v slow for the first time even when it connected at 45k, but then I disconnected and redialled and all the times now it connects at 14.4k.

Any ideas?

Before SP2 it was working at 40 - 45k.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi, upon installing SP2 the speed of modem has gone down to 14.4k.

I did a format of windows and straight install of SP2, dialup was v slow for the first time even when it connected at 45k, but then I disconnected and redialled and all the times now it connects at 14.4k.

Any ideas?

Before SP2 it was working at 40 - 45k.

Try reinstalling the modem driver, or get telecom to check for line noise.

Or disconnect any extra phones, if any are connected.

Nomad
31-08-2006, 09:56 PM
There are no drivers since its a winmodem. Dynalink Rockwell HCF.

I have again reformatted the PC and without the SP it connects much faster, my laptop also connects at its usual speed of 40k all the time.

tweak'e
31-08-2006, 10:01 PM
There are no drivers since its a winmodem. Dynalink Rockwell HCF.

I have again reformatted the PC and without the SP it connects much faster, my laptop also connects at its usual speed of 40k all the time.

????? winmodems require drivers and are very fussy on them. hardware modems (exspecaily external) can work without drivers.

i suspect lack of motherboard and modem drivers being a big part of the problem.

Nomad
31-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Dynalink provides no drivers for winXP so its relying on windows itself for them. So there is no way to reinstall the driver.

I will look into the motherboard drivers but I had them installed then I installed the SP2 still the modem speed dropped, then I formatted it ... but the speed has not changed when I had not installed the motherboard drivers.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Dynalink provides no drivers for winXP so its relying on windows itself for them. So there is no way to reinstall the driver./

I wouldnt rely on Windows driver either.

I would check the sticker on the modem and see if any of these numbers (http://www.dynalink.co.nz/driversobs.htm) are on it.

I used to have a Dynalink PCI modem and there were definitely XP drivers for it on the Dynalink site. In the end I biffed the modem, since it was giving me probs, and replaced it with an Intel based hardware modem.

Nomad
31-08-2006, 10:53 PM
PCI Card 56 (1456VQH-R) but there are no winXP drivers for that, only win2k.

drcspy
01-09-2006, 06:38 AM
hmm.......i have a

"Dynalink1456VQH-R6-conexant-WindowsXP and 2k.zip" you can download it here:

http://www.savefile.com/files/15480

Nomad
01-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks yesterday night I got a Conexant driver for my exact model. I will try it out and if it won't work I may consider going back to without SP or get SP1. We don't use any wifi, bluetooth or usb2 apart from our newly acquired multifunction scanner/laser printer.

Not sure what the difference is between just R or R6 cos the Dynalink has many variations of them but I will try thm out and see what happens. Mine is just an "R" with no numbers after it.

Nomad
01-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks its working now. :)