PDA

View Full Version : Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications

tweak'e
31-08-2006, 07:07 PM
Arghhhhh ! :help:

i helped out a guy the other night as his dailup wasn't working. got it going and got the AV all updated etc. the windows update kicked in a downloaded a new update. next day he has the genuine adavnatage popup and his OS no longer works....not even in safe mode :( i fully suspect the person how sold him the pc sold him a pirate copy, but i'm suprised it killed the OS so quickly.

is there anyway around it so i can get it going enough for him to use untill he gets a new OS next week ?

The_End_Of_Reality
31-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Hmm, I never knew it kicked you out... I heard it only told you about it... How exactly do you mean his OS no longer works?

Google (www.google.com) Remove WGA ;)

Pancake
31-08-2006, 07:44 PM
It should only popup saying its not a legal copy.It wont shut you down...

The_End_Of_Reality
31-08-2006, 08:07 PM
That is exactly what I thought...

Fishy
31-08-2006, 08:19 PM
For getting rid of WGA
http://rapidshare.de/files/30758926/Genuine_Activation.zip.html

And...one for cancelling the 30 day activation you must do to make sure it's genuine when you get a new copy of XP
http://www.sendspace.com/file/qbna72

tweak'e
31-08-2006, 08:19 PM
it totally fails to boot into anything workable. only thing that works is task manager. it simply never goes further than that.....unless you click the "get genuine" button which opens IE but goes further (i guess due to being dailup). no explorer, no desktop. in taskmanger it shows startup apps are there but are not accessable :( tried a few windows key/shortcut keys but still nothing. pc is totally unusable......all in the space of 24hrs of the new update.

The_End_Of_Reality
31-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Hmm, I am guessing there is no way to do a system restore in that case then?

Fishy
31-08-2006, 08:25 PM
if task manager works try going,
File,
New task (run),
then type explorer.exe and it may bring back explorer so you can use the links I posted.

EDIT:
When you try logon you get 2 options.
Get genuine, and remind me later?
You do know that to click remind me later you have to wait like 30 seconds for it to be clickable right?

tweak'e
31-08-2006, 08:29 PM
You do know that to click remind me later you have to wait like 30 seconds for it to be clickable right? yep. even after waiting for it, then clicking it all i get is background. nothing loads.

Fishy
31-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Oh. Ok, tell the guy to try getting explorer to run the way I said above. If that doesn't work then you could click get genuine so IE pops up and then install XP again because the computer will be partly booted, use any old cd key off the net and use the two links I posted above to make it look like it's genuine untill he can get a actual genuine copy.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Oh. Ok, tell the guy to try getting explorer to run the way I said above. If that doesn't work then you could click get genuine so IE pops up and then install XP again because the computer will be partly booted, use any old cd key off the net and use the two links I posted above to make it look like it's genuine untill he can get a actual genuine copy.

I would be careful what u say on this forum.

The_End_Of_Reality
31-08-2006, 09:03 PM
I would be careful what u say on this forum. I agree with you there, Fishy, you might want to go and read the forum rules before you get a warning by one of the mods :)

tweak'e
31-08-2006, 09:39 PM
don't worry guys, fishy is just in the grey aera. i would have told him/her to go stick it if it was anything illegal etc.

fishy.....explorer service gets shutdown as soon as it starts. dosn't ge time to have any window on screen. i can access and run a few things via the run command. not to sure how long i can do things as i get rpc shutdown poping up (similar to blaster etc) after a while.

i think i'll just get any data off it and get him to buy a new OS.

Fishy
01-09-2006, 08:50 AM
I made sure I said "use the two links I posted above to make it look like it's genuine untill he can get a actual genuine copy."
That makes it sweet right?

pctek
01-09-2006, 09:18 AM
I made sure I said "use the two links I posted above to make it look like it's genuine untill he can get a actual genuine copy."
That makes it sweet right?

No.