PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with Toshiba Troubles!

toshiba_troubles
31-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi, im very new to this, not really sure if im even doing it right.
But im so angry right now, my toshiba laptop bought about a year and a half ago, keeps crapping out on me.

They had to replace a part for a faulty circuit that wasnt allowing the computer to charge properly (or something hairy fairy like that) and now its started switching off again.

What do i do? Im a student and NEED my computer everyday but it keeps turning off and takes a few hours before it will turn back on!

Its a satellite A70 i think.
Will toshiba replace it fully?
Anyone experienced similar problems, please give me some advise.
THANK YOU! :o

netchicken
31-08-2006, 06:09 PM
You certianly have a right to get it replaced if its an ongoing problem that hasn't been fixed. How you go about it I am not sure, maybe the consumer institute can help.

Graham L
31-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

You aren't necessarily entitled to a replacement computer. Wishes are free, but the consumer law hasn't got to the point than no manufacturer will sell their goods in NZ. Sorry about that. :(

If you had a charging problem (which was fixed) and have been using the laptop mostly on battery since, you could easily have reached the end of the battery's life.

Battery technology has advanced to the point that LiIon batteries last about 500 charge-discharge cycles. That's about what you could expect from NiCd or NiMH batteries. :D LiIon batteries are lighter. 18 months is regarded as a reasonable and expected battery life. No consumer laws can make batteries better than the technology which exists.

GrahamT
31-08-2006, 06:33 PM
A replacement / spare/backup battery should cost you about $130 - $150. If as you say you NEED the unit every day that should be your first option - its going to be required sooner or later anyway and will give you much more flexibility

gibler
31-08-2006, 06:45 PM
So just to clarify...

Are you running the laptops solely from battery or are you using mains power, when these incidents occur?

It sounds to me like a motherboard issue..

What warranty did you get? Otherwise you will have to quote the consumer guarantee act to them...they don't have to give you a replacement one, they will replace the parts (and in my experience it could take some time).

I've experienced all sorts of "fun" with Toshibas at work....

toshiba_troubles
01-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Hi, thanks for your response.
I hardly ever use the laptop using just the battery, i always have it plugged in. So it's not a battery problem.
As far as the warrenty goes, i have a five year extended warrenty so im still covered and will be for another 2 years.

I have written a nasty but nice letter to toshiba explaining how ive been poorly treated by the shop and the computer technician, it just makes me so angry, why do computers have to be so difficult.

So my only option is to get it sent away for them to fix again?? They said it will be a month maybe more, i can't not use my computer for a month, but i can't keep using it with it switching off all the time.

drama!
Thanks for you responses, i hope this helps clarify. :)

toshiba_troubles
01-09-2006, 12:54 AM
A replacement / spare/backup battery should cost you about $130 - $150. If as you say you NEED the unit every day that should be your first option - its going to be required sooner or later anyway and will give you much more flexibility

Hiya!
im pretty sure it isn't the batery because i always have my laptop plugged into the mains. And it switched off even when its plugged in. silly thing.

FoxyMX
01-09-2006, 09:53 AM
If you have an extended warranty then the only option is to make use of it. Horribly inconvenient I know, but there isn't much else you can do. If you do have further problems with it after this "fix" then you will have good grounds for a complete replacement.

pixeldust
01-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Wow, what a coincidence, I came here to ask about the EXACT same problem. I have an A70 I also got a year and a half ago, I always work off mains power. I had the same power problems and sent it back to Toshiba for repair in December, where they replaced the faulty AC port causing the non charging issues. Just in the last few weeks mine has also started randomly shutting down without warning. The fan is getting noisier and the laptop seems to be overheating.

Unfortunately for me, I don't have the extended warranty :( I'd be interested to know if anyone knows what the exact fault is with these models so I can try to get it fxed. I'm assuming maybe a fan or PSU problem?

pixeldust
01-09-2006, 10:23 AM
OK, I made the mistake of actually doing some research. A few things to note:

1. This is a known issue. Toshiba ****ed up when they manufactured these notebooks - there is a BIOS glitch which causes a redundant cooling system to power off the CPU before the fan has a chance to cool it.
2. Toshiba released a BIOS fix which supposedly resolves the issue - but also manages to slow the processor down to a ridiculous speed. We're talking barely entry level performance on what is supposedly a high end laptop.
3. Toshiba users worldwide are NOT happy with this, and have opened a class action lawsuit against Toshiba.

I am trying to find details on how to join in, because it seems there is little else that can be done. I'm seriously pissed off, I now have a $3000 paperweight. In fact, my laptop is so unreliable that it shutdown while I was reading info about the lawsuit, and I am having to use my partners (extremely) reliable Apple eMac!

Mackin_NZ
01-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Toshiba's always used to be very reliable but it seems that they've dropped the ball in the last few years. My employer provided myself and my co-workers Toshiba Tecra S1 laptops and they were all the time breaking down. Motherboards, hard drives, modem's, keyboards, screens... all failed on various machines, some repeatedly. The one I had wend thru 2 hard drives, a modem and a keyboard in the two years I had it.

In the end we ditched Toshiba and we now have Dell Latitude's which (so far) have proved very reliable.

pixeldust
05-09-2006, 02:55 PM
OK, managed to temporarily fix mine by underclocking my tosh laptop to 2.6ghz, and propping it up on books so there is more room for air to circulate underneath the machine. Kinda messy and unattractive, and defeats the purpose of a "lap" top, but it works.

Billy T
05-09-2006, 03:33 PM
1. This is a known issue. Toshiba ****ed up when they manufactured these notebooks - there is a BIOS glitch which causes a redundant cooling system to power off the CPU before the fan has a chance to cool it.
2. Toshiba released a BIOS fix which supposedly resolves the issue - but also manages to slow the processor down to a ridiculous speed. We're talking barely entry level performance on what is supposedly a high end laptop.
3. Toshiba users worldwide are NOT happy with this, and have opened a class action lawsuit against Toshiba.
No need for a class action, provided it is not a business computer then the CGA applies and if it can't be fixed in a reasonable time frame (a month is far too long) then a replacement is in order, even if the original 12 month warranty has expired. If it is a business computer then I think it's the Sale of Goods Act you want (requirement for goods to be of merchantable quality, i.e. work for longer than just the warranty period.

You have a legal right to expect reasonable life from your purchase and it doesn't matter one tiny little bit what the local Toshiba people think, or what the policies from overseas say.

As usual, go to the Consumer Affairs website or Consumer mag's site for advice. You have to be firm and patient, and not give in. Use the three P's.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

SolMiester
05-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Oh dear, I dont know how many times I have to say this to people with laptops, but here we go again.

DO NOT use the laptop on mains power when the battery is full and plugged in!!!

My 4 yr laptop still gets 2 hrs battery life. If your battery is full, unplug the AC and discharge the battery, if the battery is full but you still want the full power of the CPU and bright LCD, unplug the battery.

Continually dripping power through to the battery will damage the expected life of the battery.

Graham L
05-09-2006, 04:21 PM
SolMeister: perhaps your 4 year old laptop has a NiMH battery. ;) A LiIon battery's own charge control computer looks after it. It's best to have it plugged in, and its life will be determined by the number of charge discharge cycles it does. If it's fully charged, it won't be trickle charged. That is a Bad Idea for any battery. LiIon batteries trickle charged can vent with flame; Ni chemistry batteries just vent and have a severe loss of capacity. Gel (lead-acid) batteries can sit on a (voltage regulated) supply for ever, with no bad effects.

It appears that this is not a battery problem anyway ... it might be a computer problem.

pixeldust
05-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Oh dear, I dont know how many times I have to say this to people with laptops, but here we go again.

DO NOT use the laptop on mains power when the battery is full and plugged in!!!

My 4 yr laptop still gets 2 hrs battery life. If your battery is full, unplug the AC and discharge the battery, if the battery is full but you still want the full power of the CPU and bright LCD, unplug the battery.

Continually dripping power through to the battery will damage the expected life of the battery.

Maybe you need to re-read this thread top to bottom - this is a manufacturing DEFECT, caused by Toshiba rushing out the latest and greatest processors (at the time) without full testing the compatibility with the other hardware. Absolutely nothing to do with batteries, running on mains power or otherwise.

Billy T - thanks for that info. I'm going to pursue Toshiba for a replacement, and hopefully a different model. Just wish I'd done my research before buying my laptop off the shelf on spur of the moment. :badpc:

SolMiester
05-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Maybe you need to re-read this thread top to bottom - this is a manufacturing DEFECT, caused by Toshiba rushing out the latest and greatest processors (at the time) without full testing the compatibility with the other hardware. Absolutely nothing to do with batteries, running on mains power or otherwise.

Billy T - thanks for that info. I'm going to pursue Toshiba for a replacement, and hopefully a different model. Just wish I'd done my research before buying my laptop off the shelf on spur of the moment. :badpc:

OOOO, my bad...Didnt see that!

andyjacobs
06-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Im also having trouble with a 1 1/2 year old toshiba sattelite M40. Windoes started freezing then after reinstalling windows it started rebooting.

I have taken it to toshiba and they have quoted me $1200 for repairs, $600 for main board, $300 for new hard drive and $200 for labour.

As a kick in the pants, a fujitsu 80G hard drive like I had in there can be found for around $120 more than half the price they are quoting me.

I am considering looking into the sales of goods acts. (I may not be able to use the CGA as I used it party for business)

Any advice?

pixeldust
06-03-2007, 12:19 PM
No advice from me. I'm just waiting for mine to die, then I'll buy a new one which isn't a Toshiba.

pixeldust
06-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Edited to say:

Toshiba settled in the states (finally).

http://www.asklaptopfreak.com/laptop-notebook-help/2007/01/21/satellite-m30x-m35x-a70-a75-notebook-free-repair/

I just called Toshiba to ask whether any of this will apply to NZ/Australian Toshiba owners, and have been told that bascially we're **** out of luck as they settled in the US only. I'm looking for the nearest cliff to throw this paperweight off.

SolMiester
06-03-2007, 01:03 PM
WOW, that is bad luck!!!, I have never had any issues with Tosh's

Billy T
06-03-2007, 04:22 PM
I just called Toshiba to ask whether any of this will apply to NZ/Australian Toshiba owners, and have been told that bascially we're **** out of luck as they settled in the US only. I'm looking for the nearest cliff to throw this paperweight off.You must be Australian then! Either that or you've smoked too much pixel dust. What part of your rights under NZ law don't you understand. It doesn't matter a toss what Toshiba settles in the US, if you are in NZ you are protected by NZ law and that outranks and overrules the manufacturer's warranties, US Law or US Court decisions and any other spurious argument from off-shore.

In simple terms, if it has a known fault (or any damned fault) and as you claim, is under 2 years old, you have an unlosable argument under the CGA and will win in the Disputes Tribunal if you even have to go that far. Just make sure your facts are right and you literally can't lose.

Why throw your money away?

Sheesh!

Billy 8-{) :rolleyes:

pixeldust
06-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Why throw my money away? At the end of the day, I'm a wussy girl, and I'm terrible at standing up for myself. The Toshiba person I spoke with was unhelpful and rude, and basically made me feel a fool for asking if there is any point in speaking to them about my issues. I'd rather cut my losses and buy a new laptop (NOT a Toshiba), though where that money will come from I have no idea.

And yes, I am aware that though the Class Action was won in the US, none of that applies here. I phrased it wrong - I was hoping that Toshiba would at very least acknowledge that there is a known fault which they are willing to discuss, but they are most definitely not. My conversation was not helped by the fact that the serial number has worn off the bottom of my laptop, so I couldn't progress any further with them over the phone.

Anyway, I think its been just over 2 years, so I'm going to find that cliff.

winmacguy
06-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Are you able to use or share your partners machine while you sort yourself out with a replacement laptop? (In case it takes you a little while finding the right deal)

pixeldust
06-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Yep, I can - he has an iMac. It's a shame, this whole thing has put me off PC's - though I know it's not a PC problem but a Toshiba one, and I'm seriously considering the investment in a Mac laptop.

$1 reserve on TradeMe for this piece of junk.

winmacguy
06-03-2007, 08:17 PM
Well good luck which ever way you go, you might even get more than a $1 for your Toshiba lap top. I think your laptop problem is a sign of the level of price cutting competition faced buy PC manufacturing rivals.

Billy T
06-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Why throw my money away? At the end of the day, I'm a wussy girl, and I'm terrible at standing up for myself. Sigh....and I thought that women were finally getting the hang of the whole emancipation thing.

OK then, get some hairy, macho, masculine, testosterone driven man (or woman) to make the calls for you. There are thousands of dollars at stake and you are being screwed (pardon the expression, but nothing else adequately fits the circumstances). Is it that hard to ask to speak to the manager? Then his or her direct report, then their direct report and so on until you get to the person at the top of the tree who will kick butt and sort it all out in a couple of hours.

So be wussy; play the female card, sniff, snivel and cry a little, tell them you can't email your dying grandmother, whatever it takes, but afterwards you'll be able to look in your mirror, see a new woman and hear her roar.

Then go play with your new or repaired Toshiba and smile wide enough to crack your face.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

FoxyMX
06-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Don't be too hard on pixeldust Billy, we aren't all fire-breathing dragons like Mrs Billy T. ;)

I would encourage you to have another go too, pixeldust, but write them a letter rather than phone them. That way you can spend time composing your argument and putting together all the facts without being under the stress of requiring a ready answer to fire back at them.

Include quotes from that site you linked to and also our CGA whereby goods must have a reasonable lifespan, etc etc.

You have everything to gain, including a great deal of satisfaction when you win. My sister used to be wussy like you but she got so annoyed at being ripped off all the time that she started fighting back, beginning with small things then taking on the "big guys" as her confidence grew. Now she's even more formidable than me and that's saying something. :p

pixeldust
06-03-2007, 10:17 PM
You'd think after working on a helpdesk for 3 years I would have grown balls by now, eh?

FoxyMX
06-03-2007, 10:21 PM
You probably have, they're probably just not quite visible yet. :D

Go on, feel the fear and do it anyway. ;)

Billy T
06-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Don't be too hard on pixeldust Billy, we aren't we aren't all fire-breathing dragons like Mrs Billy T. :lol: Mrs T is a pussy cat really, she is only a fire-breathing dragon
when chasing my tail. :groan:

I have tried strenuously to raise her consumer-rights awareness over a number of years, and she now stands up for the minor to medium issues but still prefers me to handle the big ones (reckons she'll knuckle them if they gave her any lip, and she probably would too. Don't fancy going to post bail!)

It is good advice to put it in writing too, in fact all my major successes have come from carefully documenting every step and every problem. Then you don't get caught up in the "he said-she said"s.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pixeldust
06-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Do I have any rights if my laptop is over 2 years old? I got it around New Years 2005.

FoxyMX
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Too right. It's a known defect, your laptop went back for repairs previously and now the fault has reappeared. Tell them you expected to be using it for at least five years, probably way more, not just a couple.

andyjacobs
07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
I got some gelp from a member of geek zone web site.... this info comes from the consumer mag members section. Hope it helps with regard to your question about expected lifetime of a computer.

This is from the Consumer website (members section):

"Economic life - according to manufacturers. This is the age at which, if the appliance breaks down, replacement is likely to be more economic than repair. To gather this information we asked 95 manufacturers and distributors about the useful life of 32 different appliances.

Life expectancy - in our view. This means how long you should expect the appliance to last, given reasonable use and perhaps some repair.

Computers

* Economic life: 3-7 years.
* Life expectancy: 5 years (but if you keep up with software releases, your computer may be obsolete much sooner).
* Repair: Power supply. Consider an upgrade if motherboard, hard drive or monitor fail."

sophanc
01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this kind of thing and my Acer laptop had issues with the "systems board". I bought it to datacom which has the worst customer service ever! the guy is not even sure it's the system board but talked to me like I was a kid :(
Bought my laptop in dec 05 and thought well it's not a "reasonable" that a laptop I paid 2500 should last for!! Acer doesn't think so. I called them up and they said they only expect their laptops to last 12 months! (that's bull!)
I would never ever recommend or buy a ACER ever again.

anyway no one can tell me what a reasonable time is for a laptop so I'm going to the dispute tribunal. It's cost $30 but ít's a cost I'm willing to make to determine what a life of a laptop should be!