PDA

View Full Version : off peak power -- When

Morgenmuffel
30-08-2006, 04:25 PM
When is it considered "off peak" for power usage, as the power charges are marginally cheaper and i need to save money
We use Contact Energy, if that is any help and i can't seem to find anything on their site about it

Cheers

godfather
30-08-2006, 04:45 PM
If you are on a single meter "economy" package where your waterheater is controlled "off peak", then there is no specific time, all the power cost is the same whenever you use it.

It is just that the rate for all power usage is a little cheaper than "uncontrolled" rate where the waterheater is available 24 hours per day.

If you have a power bill, post back what the tariff name(s) are on the back of the bill.
e.g. "All Day Economy" or "Night" etc

I assume we are talking about a domestic installation?

Morgenmuffel
30-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Anytime and Night

its just
Anytime is about 16cents per KWh
Night is about 7cents per KWh

the buggers charge us about $1:35 a day for having 2 meters

godfather
30-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Night is usually ~ 11 pm to 7 am.
But if you really have "2 meters" and not "one meter with two dials", then it might only be your waterheater that is on "night" (off peak), not the whole house?

Look at your meterbox or switchboard to decide just how many meters you actually have. One meter with two sets of dials (or with an electronic LCD dial) may be charges as two meters, and would suggest that all the power used is either at "day" (7 am to 11 pm) or "night" (11 pm to 7 am).

But if its two separate meters (which I suspect it is with that tariff combination) then its probable that only the waterheaer and/or any nightstore heater is "off peak" and not the general power for the whole house, which means that you can't save anything by doing the vacuuming at 3 am.

One of the devices on the switchboard will be the "ripple relay", don't confuse that with a meter.

Post a digital photo link and I will be able to tell you....

vinref
31-08-2006, 12:47 AM
When I used to work for Mercury Energy in Auckland, the w@nkers specifically told me never to mention a certain tariff to customers. The tariff was created and enforced by government regulation, and applies to all electricity retailers. If customers called up and asked about it but didn't know the exact name or details, I was to feign ignorance and offer them a more expensive one. If a customer did know all about it, I was supposed to sway them to another tariff.

I got some family and friends onto it. It is a low fixed charge tariff for those consuming less than 8000kWh per year. This was a significant savings compared to the "normal" tariff back in the day...

See the details here (http://www.med.govt.nz/templates/Page____13564.aspx).

godfather
31-08-2006, 09:07 AM
But you need to watch the other impact of the "low user" tariff, as even on <8000 kWh per year, when most of the consumption occurs in winter you get big seasonal swings, with far higher winter bills (but lower summer bills).

The low user tariff has a much lower "fixed charge", but in contrast the cost per unit is substantially higher to compensate. It does indeed suit some, but many customers misunderstand it and just end up with huge winter heating bills they did not expect.

But I also doubt that "correct advice" is always given ...