PDA

View Full Version : World Exchange - Xnet

pctek
30-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Having recently changed to these guys I thought I'd report my findings for those who are interested.

Can't comment on speed issues as mine is hopeless due to the echange I am off.
Price is good.
Helpdesk is answered quickly.
Techs are good - you are put to one if the person answering is not able to help.

Spam filter is completely useless.

It sends the following to the spam folder despite repeated "Report as Innocent" corrections:

Any email containing a short one line sentence
Any email containing an attachment (like all my supplier pricelists)
Any email from a company (Webuy for instance)

My emails to others show as coming from my domain email address and any sent to other Xnet customers are also being sent to their spam folders - that comes under the email from a company I guess.

Xnet say they "use an international filter and it is very effective but spam is hard to filter".

It does seem worse to me than previous ISP spam filters...

Lizard
30-08-2006, 04:13 PM
Having recently changed to these guys I thought I'd report my findings for those who are interested.

Can't comment on speed issues as mine is hopeless due to the echange I am off.
Price is good.
Helpdesk is answered quickly.
Techs are good - you are put to one if the person answering is not able to help.

Spam filter is completely useless.

It sends the following to the spam folder despite repeated "Report as Innocent" corrections:

Any email containing a short one line sentence
Any email containing an attachment (like all my supplier pricelists)
Any email from a company (Webuy for instance)

My emails to others show as coming from my domain email address and any sent to other Xnet customers are also being sent to their spam folders - that comes under the email from a company I guess.

Xnet say they "use an international filter and it is very effective but spam is hard to filter".

It does seem worse to me than previous ISP spam filters...

That's interesting. I haven't received one piece of spam (either let through the filter, or caught in the filter) since I joined last November. I guess the volume and variety of emails will differ, and hence the likelihood of spam. I get about 10 emails a week on average.

I was impressed with the webmail facility, especially compared with Ihug's. It seems to offer more functionality, though you'd have to spend a bit of time setting it up, particularly if you spent a lot of time on the road... The desktop usage monitor is another nice touch.

FoxyMX
30-08-2006, 05:12 PM
If you have a spam problem forward your emails through a Gmail account and Gmail will magically filter the spam off. Learnt that little trick from someone here recently. :thumbs:

coldot
30-08-2006, 05:47 PM
How can he forward email from an Xnet account to gmail account?
Don't think it's an option.....

FoxyMX
30-08-2006, 05:52 PM
It depends on whether Xnet allows email forwarding I guess but if they do then it can be done via their Webmail options probably.

beetle
30-08-2006, 06:02 PM
How can he forward email from an Xnet account to gmail account?
Don't think it's an option.....

pctek is a she, and if its workable its an option..... but sometimes that sort of idea is more hassle than its worth trying to forward things on.

beetle
:rolleyes:

pctek
30-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Its not the few spams that sneak through that annoys me - its stuff like my suppliers pricelists being put INTO the spam folder.

And I hate Gmail anyway, nasty thing insists on me allowing all sorts of stuff, cookies etc.

bob_doe_nz
30-08-2006, 08:48 PM
I know what you mean PCTek.
I get the feeling that Xnet is blocking two emails sent to me, both 22 megs

Greven
30-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Orcon probably use the same spam filter as Xnet - it was getting so many false positives that I disabled it on my account & let thunderbird do the filtering for me.

Thunderbird only catches about 3/4 of the spam, but I have only had one false positive (An email from Jade containing my developer key - I was windering where it got to untill I checked the spam folder)