PDA

View Full Version : How to make a keylogger (this is a request for a good reason, not malicious)

Fishy
30-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make a keylogger that will record a windows logon password?

My friends brother changed the password on the laptop they share (it previously had no password on it) and will only boot it up when he feels like it, and he won't tell him the password.

He doesn't want to download a keylogger because most of them will have trojans in them so he wanted to make it himself on my machine and then put it on his.

This is for a genuine reason, not to record passwords or whatever so please don't abuse me.

Thanks for any help in advance.

godfather
30-08-2006, 12:53 PM
If the password is on the BIOS or HDD (not just the common Windows login one, as is the case with most laptops) then no keylogger will work. As the password has to be entered before any software will run in these cases, it cannot be captured by software.

Erayd
30-08-2006, 01:04 PM
But a BIOS password can be removed by resetting the BIOS, however this will usually require dismantling the laptop. Do you know whether it is a Windows password (it will get to the welcome screen, then ask) or a BIOS password (normally a prompt with white text on a black screen).

godfather
30-08-2006, 01:37 PM
In most modern laptops, a BIOS password requires a trip to a service agent as well, nothing as simple as removal of the BIOS battery or a jumper. The security level on laptops these days is high, as theft is common.

Fishy
30-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I have no idea what any of that meant...
But if it was stored like a desktop by chance would a keylogger work?

EDIT:
I just texted him, when he said "my computer" I assumed it was the laptop he shares, just found out it's the machine his dad bought him to play games on, it's his personal one so his brother did it to be a di*k because he wants a gamer for himself *sigh*
Does that make it easier?

pctek
30-08-2006, 02:18 PM
There are 3 types of password.
Windows logon
BIOS
Laptop Security

The first is easy
The second is easy
The third is stored on a special security chip in them and is not easy

And most people want the third because the laptop has been stolen,.
If it was a shared laptop a talk with your Dad would have been all that was required.

Fishy
30-08-2006, 02:24 PM
And most people want the third because the laptop has been stolen,.
If it was a shared laptop a talk with your Dad would have been all that was required.

Ok I have just realised this looks really dodgy.
My friends dad does not really care, he just told his brother to type in the password when he wants the computer which he has been doing, but my mate finds it a pain in the arse if his brother is out or at uni and he installs something new or whatever and it needs to be restarted he then can't use the computer.
I have not stolen a laptop, it's not even a laptop he needs the password for anymore.
They are indian (not meaning that to sound racist) so they do not do things like we do, his dad leaves their arguments to be settles between him and his brother and so does his mum.
I sware I am not wanting this for anything other than what have said.
It is MS home edition if that makes any difference.

pctek
30-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Ok I have just realised this looks really dodgy.

They are indian (not meaning that to sound racist) so they do not do things like we do,

Even dodgier - I have an Indian friend, still lives with his parents - along with his wife and little boy.

TGoddard
30-08-2006, 05:50 PM
There are fairly simple ways of getting around the password mechanism but it sounds like this is more a social problem than anything else. Nothing you do will help your friend if basic communication has already failed. Problems like this need to be sorted out by talking, not just taking.

Having said this, if you have sufficient access to install a keylogger then you could just create a new account.

Fishy
30-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Even dodgier - I have an Indian friend, still lives with his parents - along with his wife and little boy.

Hes 14, not likely to be in his own house...

Having said this, if you have sufficient access to install a keylogger then you could just create a new account.

Tried it but because it isn't an administrator account he deletes it.
Ok if this sounds dodgy to some people and they don't want to help me make a keylogger, then how about telling me a way to get the password when you are already logged onto the computer so that way you know i'm not using it to hack into something.
Anyone know how?

godfather
30-08-2006, 08:12 PM
At 14 years old, I think this should be left to the "family" to sort out themselves.

Agent_24
02-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Boot into safe mode. login to administrator account (which will probably have no password), goto user accounts in control panel. select the account with the password. click 'delete password'. Put your own password on the administrator account before someone else does.

(If the admin account already has a password, this won't work - unless you know it!)

Fishy
02-09-2006, 01:52 PM
It is the admin account and someone else is helping me via PM.
So delete this thread or something.

smartass12334
04-12-2007, 08:09 AM
u could look up how to start in safe mode if it is like a desktop then u could use the hidden administrator account

it might not be the actual admin account. it is just one of the two that come with the comp.

bevy121
04-12-2007, 01:53 PM
:groan: :stare:

drcspy
04-12-2007, 05:38 PM
and failing that ........thump him....

wainuitech
04-12-2007, 05:42 PM
this is an OLD THREAD - SOME IDIOT has dragged up, I PMed fishy who said it's a year old.

bevy121
04-12-2007, 10:29 PM
hence my groan at smartass12334 for replying to a thread last posted on 02-09-2006, 12:52 PM LOL

nerd
05-12-2007, 08:56 AM
holy **** it is look at the date on the first post