PDA

View Full Version : CentOS FTP server

technicianxp
30-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Hi there everyone

I'm wanting to setup a FTP server here at work, on a CentOS 4.3 install. The install and everything are all going but I just want some pointers on how to go about with setting up an actual FTP server on it.

The requirements are for one share (in fact a whole RAID array but we'll call it a share) to be shared over FTP to all users. The users can be local and I'm willing to put them in locally as there won't be too many (although if it's possible to get them off Active Directory then I'll be willing to consider that). The share should be readable and writeable to all users, and I want it to be the only share available to anyone who logs on. Probably won't want to allow anonymous logons.

Pretty much it'll be acting as a drop-box for media files on a LAN, and we've settled for FTP as it's easy to setup and can be hyperlinked to.

Any suggestions or pointers are appreciated.

trinsic
30-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Have you tried SFTP? No need to setup and its secure :)
Theres a proggy called WinSCP which you can try.

It runs through SSH so you don't need to do anything.

TGoddard
30-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I haven't used CentOS before, but for most linux distros you just need to install the ftpd package and place your files in the correct folder (/srv/ftp/ for mine, I'm not sure about CentOS). You can simply mount the partition at that point (you need to add an entry in /etc/fstab to have this happen on startup).