PDA

View Full Version : harddisk

kale
30-08-2006, 12:01 AM
hi. if my computer just have one hard disk c:, is that necessary to divide it into two? if i save all my staff on c:, will that affect anything, like the start up of the computer?
thanks for answering.

DeSade
30-08-2006, 12:45 AM
Depends on the size of it
a bigger disk takes longer in most things, maintainance is the big one.
Some more information would be useful
size of hard drive
how much space is left

RandomCarnage
30-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Indeed. But generally, for most modern high capacity harddrives, you can partition them and put your OS on one and store oft used stuff on the other.

If you partition into 3, you can then put OS on one, oft used on another and rarely used or back-up/storage on the third.

A major advantage of this is the ability to format or restore one part of the drive w/o having to format the entire drive and potentially lose or have to physically back-up everything on your HD.

You may sacrifice some of your overall capacity as a result but it depends on how much room you are playing with. In most cases, it won't be an issue... just allow 15% free space on each for windows to run defrag.

kale
30-08-2006, 05:42 PM
thanks for that.
my hard disk is 100G, and i have enough room on it.
So, how can i partition it?

FoxyMX
30-08-2006, 06:17 PM
We need more information before that question can be answered. Is the hard drive new with no data or operating system on it yet or is it already in use?

kale
30-08-2006, 06:21 PM
i just use it for couple of days, so not much new staff on it.

FoxyMX
30-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Instructions for partitioning Windows XP is available here (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348). Note that your existing data will be destroyed so make sure you back everything up first.

You might also be interested in reading this FAQ (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Multiple_partitions_on_a_hard_driv e) on multiple partitions on a hard drive.

Jester
30-08-2006, 10:41 PM
I also think you mean 'stuff' rather than 'staff'. Unless you have employed people to live on your hard drive.

Foxy's links are the place to take a look, perhaps even make it a company outing, take your staff ;)

Jen
30-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Don't forget to check whether you have a hidden recovery partition that is used to reinstall the OS rather than being supplied with a standard OS CD to use. If you delete that partition during any repartitioning you will not be able to recover your system.