PDA

View Full Version : XP and wallpapers..

supertrouper
29-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Where does Windoze XP store its wallpapers?

For example, if you right click an image and select "Set as desktop background" - where does Windoze put the file it uses to display that image and does it change the format or does it leave it as a .jpg for example if the original image was a .jpg?

Reason I ask is that I have changed my desktop wallpaper several times over the year, and I'm thinking that the ones I am not using now must still be stored in Windoze somewhere - hogging space.

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Where does Windoze XP store its wallpapers?

For example, if you right click an image and select "Set as desktop background" - where does Windoze put the file it uses to display that image and does it change the format or does it leave it as a .jpg for example if the original image was a .jpg?

Reason I ask is that I have changed my desktop wallpaper several times over the year, and I'm thinking that the ones I am not using now must still be stored in Windoze somewhere - hogging space.

Here C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper

zqwerty
29-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Mine are in: C:\WINDOWS

supertrouper
29-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Hmm ok well I looked in C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper and the only files in there are the generic Windows wallpapers. I looked in C:\Windows as well and no sign of my current wallpaper nor any of the previous ones.. Next I did a search for the file name - which is lagoon.jpg - and the search turned up no files on my hard drive with the name lagoon in them... Now what?

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2006, 06:23 AM
Show all files in my computer, then do another search.

It maybe in a hidden folder.

Shortcircuit
30-08-2006, 08:56 AM
You can look at what wallpapers you have had by going start> control panel> display> desktop tab.

It doesn't show where they are stored if you click on the browse button, but at least you will know the name of the file to search for.

If I've used a 'non-windows' wallpaper, say a photo that I've taken, it will remain in the folder where I had it ie in 'my pictures' and there is only one copy... Windows does not make another copy of the file.

jebby
30-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Have you tried looking in "My Pictures"

autechre
31-08-2006, 02:11 PM
I just tried setting a pic as wallpaper & it put the .bmp here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your account>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\