PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor Hard Drive

Poppa John
29-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Hi All.....My 60GB Maxtor 7200rpm HD has died. Is Western Electric a reasonable brand replacement? Is this something I can replace myself? Bearing in mind that I have two fingers & eight thumbs? Thanks. PJ

gibler
29-08-2006, 10:05 PM
Er, was that meant to be Western Digital? Save yourself the trouble and buy a Seagate instead.... Yeah it should be pretty easy ..the hard drive manufacturers have good guides on their websites...

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2006, 10:06 PM
You mean Western Digital?

From reading a few things on the net, some WD hdd's aren't that reliable either.

Should be easy enough to replace just unscrew, unplg, chuck a new one in screw it back up and put the plugs back in.

Well that also depends on where in the case the hdd is. Some arent that easy to get at / or remove.

supertrouper
29-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I sure wouldn't be going out and buying a Seagate drive.. I don't know if Gibler is being facetious but Seagate have the worst reputation of the lot. I have replaced dozens of dodgy and dead drives in client's machines. I used to solely use Maxtor drives myself up until recently when I had one of them die for no apparent reason. Talking to several people in the know, I discovered that the quality of Maxtor drives has taken a dive recently. Now I am using Western Dig and so far *cross fingers* it hasn't given me any grief.

Poppa John
29-08-2006, 10:19 PM
You mean Western Digital?

From reading a few things on the net, some WD hdd's aren't that reliable either.

Should be easy enough to replace just unscrew, unplg, chuck a new one in screw it back up and put the plugs back in.

Well that also depends on where in the case the hdd is. Some arent that easy to get at / or remove.

Yes I did mean Western Didgtal. Is that all there is to it? No programming or talking to Microsoft? More confused about brand type now!!!!! PJ

Jen
29-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Are you sure the hard drive is actually dead? No point getting another one if that isn't the problem, so just wanted to check before you jump in the deep end. :)

Metla
29-08-2006, 10:30 PM
PJ, Are you able to wait untill I get around to have a squizz at it?

Poppa John
29-08-2006, 10:35 PM
PJ, Are you able to wait untill I get around to have a squizz at it?

Yes Thanks. Just curious is all. I am forbidden , by you know who, to touch it. :eek: :badpc: Wise Woman. She knows me well !!!!! PJ

Poppa John
29-08-2006, 10:44 PM
METLA.....Maryann here...AND PJ is allowed to use my precious puter, but is NOT allowed to damage it, download anything, update anything, backdate delete alter or any of that stuff. :horrified :mad:

Yes, he WILL be patient and wait for you to visit. I am just off to the kitchen to measure out the ingredients for a 'you know what' for you ;)

gibler
29-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I sure wouldn't be going out and buying a Seagate drive.. I don't know if Gibler is being facetious but Seagate have the worst reputation of the lot. I have replaced dozens of dodgy and dead drives in client's machines. I used to solely use Maxtor drives myself up until recently when I had one of them die for no apparent reason. Talking to several people in the know, I discovered that the quality of Maxtor drives has taken a dive recently. Now I am using Western Dig and so far *cross fingers* it hasn't given me any grief.

No I'm not being a funny joker. They don't have a bad reputation. Yeah there are some models that seem worse that others but many are good. Western Digital are used quite a bit in macs, and I've pulled many a dead one out.

Of course just backup your data and with Seagate claim the warranty .. up to 5 years.

supertrouper
29-08-2006, 11:54 PM
No I'm not being a funny joker. They don't have a bad reputation. Yeah there are some models that seem worse that others but many are good. Western Digital are used quite a bit in macs, and I've pulled many a dead one out.

Of course just backup your data and with Seagate claim the warranty .. up to 5 years.

It would seem that hard drives have an unenviable reputation when it comes to reliability.
No brand seems to be an outstanding leader, although I think that IBM and Fujitsu drives are reasonable - just damn pricey.

It's a bit like good software - can't anyone write stuff that works?

technicianxp
30-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Just thought I'd put in some of my experiences, I've dealt with a large array of hard disks, old and new. From all I've seen I can pretty much say no brand can really be considered better than, or less likely to die than another. I've encountered a Western Digital 20GB, which pretended to be dead, was replaced and then when put in another computer booted up fine (although the POST seems to take way longer on that computer now). No bad sectors were found either.

I was fairly confident about Seagates too, until my own 40GB one killed my FS2002 installation and turned out to have bad sectors (still running as a second HD with Kubuntu on it though). I replaced it with a Maxtor, as they provide a good software set on their website, had a generally good reputation and provided a 5 year warranty. I can easily say I'm very impressed.

Very importantly to me, the drive (a 80GB 7200RPM ATA133) is much quieter than numerous Seagates of the same age and specifications. It's way quieter than the 40GB Seagate it replaced.

One thing people seem to be forgetting though is that Seagate has now bought out Maxtor to become SeagateMaxtor (www.seagatemaxtor.com). I'm not sure if the deal is complete yet, but essentially there shouldn't remain too much of a difference between the two soon.

For now I wouldn't recommend against either a Maxtor or a Seagate, although the first one remains my personal preference.

godfather
30-08-2006, 11:24 AM
I have had deaths in all the brands above (I have about 14 HDD's in service here), presently the majority of HDD in use here are Western Digital which are so far lasting OK. Seagate are also quite OK.

PJ, there is nothing wrong with present day Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital drives in my view.

As with everything, it's always possible to get a dud in any of the brands, and you never rely on anything stored on any HDD as being "permanently stored" unless you have at least 2 backups on other media external to the PC.

pctek
30-08-2006, 02:28 PM
One thing people seem to be forgetting though is that Seagate has now bought out Maxtor to become SeagateMaxtor (www.seagatemaxtor.com). I'm not sure if the deal is complete yet, but essentially there shouldn't remain too much of a difference between the two soon.

There is no such website.

# Maxtor Fireball®, DiamondMax® ATA/SATA and DiamondMax Plus ATA /SATA drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3 years.
# Maxtor MaXLine™ ATA/SATA drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 5 years.
# Maxtor Atlas® SCSI drives will continue to carry a Standard Warranty Period of 5 years.
# Maxtor branded retail hard drive kits will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year.
# Maxtor external hard drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year, with the exception of the Maxtor Personal Storage 3000LS and PS3100 drives, which have a Standard Warranty Period of 90 days in all geographies except for EMEA and APAC.
# In EMEA, Maxtor external hard drives and Maxtor branded retail hard drive kits returned for service to an authorized Maxtor RMA service facility in EMEA, will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 2 years.
# Maxtor Network Storage products will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year.

Seagate was the only one (other than WD Raptors - not Caviars) to have a 5 year warranty.
Seagate do now own Maxtor and will not start producing shoddy Maxtor type drives. They bought them out to increase their market share.
I predict the disappearance of Maxtor - like Connor....

PaulD
30-08-2006, 02:50 PM
There is no such website.

There is if you get rid of the )/ mistakenly added to the URL but it just redirects to www.seagate.com