PDA

View Full Version : Post all problems with forum here, please.

idgadmin
29-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Sorry, everyone. There were more difficulties upgrading than is worth mentioning. :groan:

Although a better server would have helped. :badpc:

Anyway, you are undoubtly going to find issues with some of the functionality on the Forum. Please log them all in this thread. Most will simply be because the VBulletin skins have changed and our custom ones still need to be altered. But some might not, so list all problems here and I'll be checking them regularly.

I'm working on the new skins as you read this, so hopefully everything should be back to fairly normal functionality by the end of this week. But as you will find issues quicker than just me I thought I'd get us back on-line and see what comes.

Good luck, and thanks for your patience.

James

bob_doe_nz
29-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Problems???

This forum was down for who knows how long...

It's doing my head in!

That is all:blush:

Edit:
OOOHHHH Skype as an instant messaging client..., Multi Quote?

R.M.
29-08-2006, 07:44 PM
And I thought all the problems were due to my fiddling on my computer last night!:lol:

Marnie
29-08-2006, 07:51 PM
And I blamed xtra !! :blush:

Erayd
29-08-2006, 07:55 PM
I too blamed XTRA, until I discovered it was only PF1. Gotta say, it seems just a wee bit irresponsible doing something this major to such a high-traffic site without at least attempting to notify the user base first.

Thomas01
29-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Yep - had problems all day at first. Just couldn't get on.
Blamed slingshot. Then me - then Marion Hobbs - who better to blame for all sorts of things going wrong.
Now we know and are happier!
Still a bit slow getting on for me (dialup).

Jen
29-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Gotta say, it seems just a wee bit irresponsible doing something this major to such a high-traffic site without at least attempting to notify the user base first.Got to be fair, I think the extended "holiday" was unexpected. I do believe notice was given on the forum before it went down, but I guess it was short notice for some. If you had checked out the http://www.pcworld.co.nz/ homepage, you would of seen the thread title of the outage notification in the PressF1 thingy at the bottom. :)

And well done James for your hard work. :thumbs:

Oh, I can't click the Smilies anymore and the "more" Smilie link doesn't work. <insert puppydog eyes here> :p

[Edit]
Oh, righto ... fire up a different browser (Konqueror) this time and now the Smilies are clickable and the "More" link works :waughh:

Time to clear out Firefox's cache me thinks ...

[Edit #2]
Right, so clearing out the cache on Firefox fixed the non-clickable Smilies and the more link, see ---> :rolleyes:

Looking good!

pctek
29-08-2006, 08:10 PM
Who tempted fate by saying it was going to be down for an hour?! We're all IT people here aren't we - its never as easy as you think its going to be....:D

Fishy
29-08-2006, 08:11 PM
it seems just a wee bit irresponsible doing something this major to such a high-traffic site without at least attempting to notify the user base first.

He did make a thread saying the site will be down, sure that only said an hour but meh at least he told people.

EDIT:
The quick edit thing is cool, and the multi quote, and the arrow when you post that when you click it takes you to the original post :D

stu161204
29-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Although a better server would have helped. :badpc:

hehe :D

Metla
29-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Avatars don't seem to be functioning.

And there are random out-breaks of spam threads that appear (and are stickied) in the tech forum.

stu161204
29-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Avatars don't seem to be functioning.

Users have never had Avatars ;)

Nice to have PressF1 back :) :D, I was starting to think it was never coming back online.

gibler
29-08-2006, 08:35 PM
The forum was down so long ... that I started to get work done at work :horrified

Jen
29-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Avatars don't seem to be functioningToo right! :eek:

The blue Mod avatar thingy is AWOL and I didn't even notice.

Billy T
29-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I blame it all on Taito "grease my palm" Philip "I did not employ that person" Field.

When the palms are not greased on time, PF1 gets it.

Yunnerstand?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

gibler
29-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Too right! :eek:

The blue Mod avatar thingy is AWOL and I didn't even notice.

Join the rest of the peasants :D Will the real moderators please stand up !?

personthingy
29-08-2006, 08:59 PM
And I blamed xtra !! :blush:well, why not? does it matter whose fault it was? Why take the fun out of life by not blaming xtra?

beetle
29-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Ok i got told yesterday what was going on and i laughed when told an hour outage....nothing ever runs smooth with pf1 downtime so being back today is wondoruos guys.............

Well done no matter what we are glad you are back with us.

one question what are the extra click items next to the quote buttons? has a icon??? oh is that multi quote. means you can quote from more than one post??????????

not sure...........

anyway thanxs all

beetle

Renmoo
29-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Testing on Multi-quotes

Jen
29-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Testing on Multi-quotes

Ok i got told yesterday what was going on and i laughed when told an hour outage....nothing ever runs smooth with pf1 downtime so being back today is wondoruos guys.............

Well done no matter what we are glad you are back with us.

one question what are the extra click items next to the quote buttons? has a icon??? oh is that multi quote. means you can quote from more than one post??????????

not sure...........

anyway thanxs all

beetle

The forum was down so long ... that I started to get work done at work :horrified

This is the multi-quote, which does work fine. You click the multi-quote icon beside each post you want to quote so that it goes a red colour, then click the standard Quote icon.

Jen
29-08-2006, 10:50 PM
In both the forums, the "Forum Tools" and "Search this Forum" option that appears in the top blue bar right under the page 1 of XXX section, does not work. Nothing happens when you click them. Tried with two different browsers.

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2006, 10:53 PM
And the URL hyperlink option is stuffed.

Rob99
29-08-2006, 11:09 PM
I formated my PC twice, then went into work and formated the one there too!!

must have worked, all apears OK now

Jen
29-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Just to expand upon that, the hyperlink icon shows first the dialog box for the URL, but it is not giving you the next option to enter in text for the URL description. Pretty sure that is how it worked before.

http://pcworld.co.nz - using hyperlink icon with no option of entering "PC World" to go between the tags. It has also wrapped the entered link in speechmarks, eg: [U R L="http://pcworld.co.nz"]http://pcworld.co.nz[/U R L]

PC World (http://pcworld.co.nz/) - manually formatting the URL tags

http://pcworld.co.nz/ - just writing in the URL without formatting

Greg
29-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Why did it have to be "fixed" when it weren't broked? :confused:

I've been without these forums since around 2:30 am this morning! :rolleyes:

idgadmin
29-08-2006, 11:54 PM
If you need to search it works from the Forums Home - index.php.

stu161204
30-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Why did it have to be "fixed" when it weren't broked? :confused:

Due to the spam bots registering and spamming PressF1 & security issues (We donít want PressF1 to get hacked & loss Threads: 71,342, Posts: 480,492) ;)

Greg
30-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Spam bots are a fact of life. Minor fixes are pretty easy.

Fishy
30-08-2006, 08:07 AM
When you click on someones name the little dopdown box to look at their profile or whatever doesn't come down anymore...

netchicken
30-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Spam bots are easily beaten with a visual ID system - whera you have to enter a code from a graphic.

personthingy
30-08-2006, 08:18 AM
Spam bots are easily beaten with a visual ID system - whera you have to enter a code from a graphic.Unfortunately this also beats the guest users who are 90% of the traffic, and would remove the fact that this is one of the few sites where i automatically log in because my browser remembers the pass.

Greg
30-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Spam bots are easily beaten with a visual ID system - whera you have to enter a code from a graphic.Unfortunately the clever bas****s can get around the visual ID system.

But there's other means that help, such as disabling website URL's to first-time posters

Biggles
30-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Spam bots are easily beaten with a visual ID system - whera you have to enter a code from a graphic.

Which is precisely the reason the upgrade took place. The version of VB we were running didn't have that in.

Biggles
30-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately this also beats the guest users who are 90% of the traffic, and would remove the fact that this is one of the few sites where i automatically log in because my browser remembers the pass.

The visual ID is t be used only for registration. Not for visiting.

Biggles
30-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately the clever bas****s can get around the visual ID system.

But there's other means that help, such as disabling website URL's to first-time posters

Agreed. But we needed to start somewhere. When we first switched to VB this whole spamming forums stuff wasn't a factor. Now it is. So at least we've moved up to basic measures now. I'm sure it will be an ongoing battle, but I don't think any of us won't F1 ruined by the genetically challenged, morally bankrupt, and quite possibly stylistically underwhelming spam merchants -- may the the fruit of their loins rob them of their ill-gotten gains.

A testing spambot
30-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Just testing something ....

Erayd
30-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Definitely nice to have the forum back, thanks for all the hard work :D

Apologies for not spotting the outage warning - clearly it was there and I somehow missed seeing it.

[edit: ooh, 'quick edit' - nice!]

Greg
30-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Just testing something ....It evidently worked. Great job!

Fishy
30-08-2006, 11:35 AM
How come were not allowed avatars?
I can understand signatures, because people do those flashy photoshop things and then pages take ages to load...

Morgenmuffel
30-08-2006, 11:42 AM
**** Problem *******

If I enter the Forum from one of the thread links on the main PCWORLD page
here
http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf
I get page not found

and the link in the address bar is

http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/<![CDATA[http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=72085&goto=newpost]]>

OK now the skin seems to have dissappeared

http://www.nigel.geek.nz/skin.gif

stu161204
30-08-2006, 01:10 PM
How come were not allowed avatars?
I can understand signatures, because people do those flashy photoshop things and then pages take ages to load...

For the same reason why we cant have image sigs ;)

SurferJoe46
30-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Damn! And I rewired my crawl space wiring to make sure some rodent hadn't eaten thru a wire or two...and it was just youse guys changing the appearance of the site! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gads!

Anyway, after the dust settled and I had a nice hot shower from all the dirt and spider webs I encountered under the home, I see that there are a few things that are very different that I think are an oversight by the site designer(s):

The "insert link" icon's however, still does not work correctly. I am used to just highlighting the word I intend to link, and then only have to enter the address of the link itself....here, I have to type in both the word (again) and the link. Kinda dumb!

Also...missing the Submit button under the preview page. Hmmmmm!

And another thing: When you hover over the little icon thing-y on the front page...the one that pops-out and says: "Go to last unread comment" or whatever, it really doesn't go there at all...it goes to the totally last thread...not the last one you read! Can that be fixed?...I have cookies enabled and it should work that way.

Other than that..I am happy.

Morgenmuffel
30-08-2006, 02:30 PM
The "insert link" icon's however, still does not work correctly. I am used to just highlighting the word I intend to link, and then only have to enter the address of the link itself....here, I have to type in both the word (again) and the link. Kinda dumb!

Also...missing the Submit button under the preview page. Hmmmmm!

Hey Joe

The Link thing works fine for me, I just highlight the text, click on the icon and enter the address,

have you cleared your Cache, as i was having problems till i did that

Damn I now have "hey Joe" going through my head

SurferJoe46
30-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Hey Joe

The Link thing works fine for me, I just highlight the text, click on the icon and enter the address,

have you cleared your Cache, as i was having problems till i did that

Damn I now have "hey Joe" going through my head

........by Hendrix or the Troggs? :blush:

Biggles
30-08-2006, 02:33 PM
**** Problem *******

If I enter the Forum from one of the thread links on the main PCWORLD page
here
http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf
I get page not found

and the link in the address bar is

http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/<![CDATA[http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=72085&goto=newpost]]>

OK now the skin seems to have dissappeared

Passed this on to Jim and Cindy.

Morgenmuffel
30-08-2006, 02:39 PM
........by Hendrix or the Troggs? :blush:

Hendrix, and i hate the blasted song

Didn't know the Troggs had done a version, i'll be sure to avoid it

Morgenmuffel
30-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Another thing

seems to effect all Mozilla based browser (FF, Seamonkey and K-meleon)

the borders of the tables are black, whereas in IE they are Grey

see here (http://nigel.geek.nz/skin2.gif)

Biggles
30-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Another thing

Cindy's looking at it.

Morgenmuffel
30-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Cheers Bruce

Whaddya know it's already fixed

Renmoo
30-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Looks like there still isn't an option to delete posts...

Cheers :)

Renmoo
30-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Cheers Bruce

Whaddya know it's already fixed

Cindy's looking at it.

Another thing

Re-test

personthingy
30-08-2006, 05:00 PM
Ah... this is multi-quote!??????? seems the same to me :illogical

personthingy
30-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Re-testO right... thats more interesting.......... :D

Graham L
31-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Not a Forum software problem, I suppose, but should the search engines be looking at the user profiles? I noticed that one of the (many) Yahoo Slurp Spiders was doing that.

(In fact there are a lot of Yahoos slurping all over the site: I counted over 30 in the first four pages of users, then it was about 8-10 on each the other pages that I looked at. Probably a spider isn't much of a load, buit over a hundred from one search engine must be causing a bit if extra disk activity on the server).

Graham L
31-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Again not a Forum problem, but a site one: In the PC World (magazine) page, the section which has links to some current PressF1 threads seems to have an "advanced feature" which can stop it showing a thread title. The thread started by lance4k at 1.08 pm has no title there. It's not excessive length; another title is longer.

stu161204
01-09-2006, 12:00 PM
The favicon has changed.

Greg
01-09-2006, 12:37 PM
The favicon has changed.I don't get any favicon at all.

stu161204
01-09-2006, 01:22 PM
I don't get any favicon at all.

Clear out your cache & it only really shows up in Firefox / Opera (not too sure about Mozlla)

Graham L
01-09-2006, 04:21 PM
And again today: on the PC World page, a PressF1 posting by jeffreyyan | 01 Sep 2006 02:31 has no title.

FoxyMX
01-09-2006, 05:53 PM
Not a Forum software problem, I suppose, but should the search engines be looking at the user profiles? I noticed that one of the (many) Yahoo Slurp Spiders was doing that.

(In fact there are a lot of Yahoos slurping all over the site: I counted over 30 in the first four pages of users, then it was about 8-10 on each the other pages that I looked at.

And it's hilarious watching what they are getting up to. Such as sending threads (or trying to) to friends (the mind boggles! :eek:), viewing suggested improvements to PF1, private messaging, etc etc. :D

Screenie (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/yahoo-spiders.jpg).

stu161204
01-09-2006, 06:07 PM
And it's hilarious watching what they are getting up to. Such as sending threads (or trying to) to friends (the mind boggles! :eek:), viewing suggested improvements to PF1, private messaging, etc etc. :D

The good thing is they cant do any of that as they get stopped and have to re trace there steeps & keep on crawling the threads :D

beetle
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
LOL well at least theyre being sociable then:p

and yeah opera shows a change in favicon..... i spose the blue is better than black and yellow. not so angry bee looking i spose........ alright for sunflowers i guess, just not monitors....:p

beetle

tweak'e
02-09-2006, 05:27 PM
why isn't there any formating buttons on the quick reply? having to type formatting/quote tags in really sucks.

Graham L
03-09-2006, 02:13 PM
why isn't there any formating buttons on the quick reply? having to type formatting/quote tags in really sucks.But that's a "quick" reply function. It's much quicker to type the tag than to use a mouse. :thumbs:

Graham L
03-09-2006, 04:37 PM
.... on the PC World page, a PressF1 posting by jeffreyyan | 01 Sep 2006 02:31 has no title.Even better yesterday and today ... 2 of the four without titles.

The titles are the links, too, which presents a challenge for anyone who wants to either find what the thread is about, or read it. :D

tweak'e
03-09-2006, 04:48 PM
But that's a "quick" reply function. It's much quicker to type the tag than to use a mouse. :thumbs:
but you know that i can't type! ......or spell or make sence :blush:

Myth
03-09-2006, 07:38 PM
Cindy's looking at it.

Cheers Bruce

Whaddya know it's already fixedAhh so thats how it works ... damn good idea, there have been a few occassions in the past when I required this ability.

Well done, nice work etc etc (I think you get the drift :))

Just a pity paste doesnt work with Firefox (but then it never has lol, control + V is good enough I suppose.

Renmoo
04-09-2006, 04:31 PM
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.

... (speechless)

Strommer
04-09-2006, 07:30 PM
My login drops. Never happened before the recent PF1 adjustments. Instead of Firefox remembering my login, I have to log in (sometime, not always), but once logged in, if I open a Tab to read a thread, I have to log in again to post - but in so doing the thread I was in is lost so I have to start all over again.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have not changed Cookies setting, or anything else.

Jen
04-09-2006, 08:58 PM
My login drops. Never happened before the recent PF1 adjustments. Instead of Firefox remembering my login, I have to log in (sometime, not always), but once logged in, if I open a Tab to read a thread, I have to log in again to post - but in so doing the thread I was in is lost so I have to start all over again.I get this as well. Although I always log off the forum so I don't expect Firefox to remember my login for me. Sometimes threads I open in tabs display as if I am logged off, or if I wander off for a short time (maybe 20 mins) when I refresh the page I am logged off. Maybe the inactive session thingy is set too short?

personthingy
04-09-2006, 09:14 PM
How odd, i stay logged in. In fact i can't even remember my password, it's been so long since i've needed it.... But thats with konqueror

Graham L
05-09-2006, 04:25 PM
... r if I wander off for a short time (maybe 20 mins) when I refresh the page I am logged off. Maybe the inactive session thingy is set too short? Could this be a cookie lifetime setting?

SurferJoe46
06-09-2006, 06:03 PM
OK....'splain this to a dumb Yank....

If I want to enter a hyperlink...I first highlight the word(s) I want to use as the link, click on the little hyperlink thing-y and then I get to re-type in the word(s) I want to use as the link, hit ENTER and THEN type or paste in the actual URL.

That's dumb! I always worked here that way...but not on any other sites...and I visit a few and c/p and hyperlink with ease there...but NO!!!, NOT HERE!

And again..the Alt+xxxx function does not work for me here either...never has as a matter of fact. If I hit Alt+01 (I never get further than the first two numbers) I get the front page of the site. I clean house with Crapcleaner regularly too.

What I DO like is the repeat-ability that, after highlighting a piece of my post, I can have my way with it in several ways...like Italics and then font and even add color and still have command of that one highlighted area without having to go and view the post and then start all over again. Kewl!

When I hover over a tool like BOLD or Decrease Indent, etc, I must go off the page and left click to refresh the toolbar and then I can use a different tool...but that's also a carry over from the last format too.

I notice that this time, there's a pink color too....

Graham L
10-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Is this possible
kjaada | 11 Sep 2006 12:36
Vista RC1 build 5600
aidanmaz | 10 Sep 2006 11:07
spuninst
jayal | 10 Sep 2006 10:53
... Another site oddity: look at the date on the first one. :D When viewed, the thread shows the date as "Today".

SurferJoe46
10-09-2006, 06:31 PM
I just noticed that the hyperlink insertion tool works correctly...erase that complaint....

Graham L
12-09-2006, 02:23 PM
email contents missing
jayal | 13 Sep 2006 12:30
Printing on shiny paper
Jacquie | 12 Sep 2006 11:07
Ghost Question
sam m | 12 Sep 2006 09:05
Cpu Useage
JJJJJ | 12 Sep 2006 08:43 Still in time travel mode ...:thumbs: