PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer freezes

tomsheep3000
27-08-2006, 09:57 PM
I have a rather annoying problem when I try to access a particular folder on my computer.

I have 2 250Gb hard drives - 1 with windows, 1 with "stuff" (programs, videos, music etc.)
I have split up the Stuff hard drive into a number of folders with appopriate headings (software, videos, music). I can access all except for the software folder.
When I click on it (left or right) explorer freezes. I have found one way of accessing it by using run and typing the direct path to the folder, but this is becoming inconvenient and annoying :badpc:

I have checked event viewer but there's nothing of interest there.

I am running windows xp sp2.

Any help would be appreciated.

FoxyMX
28-08-2006, 12:00 PM
I have split up the Stuff hard drive into a number of folders with appopriate headings (software, videos, music). I can access all except for the software folder.
When I click on it (left or right) explorer freezes. I have found one way of accessing it by using run and typing the direct path to the folder, but this is becoming inconvenient and annoying
Firstly do a few scans for viruses, malware, etc, especially in the "Stuff" folder.

If they come up clean make another "Stuff" folder (with a different name, of course) and move a couple of items from the current Stuff folder into it. If Explorer no longer freezes, move a few more items then test again. Keep doing this until everything has been transferred then delete the original folder. There may be a corrupt file or something causing the freezes and by moving a few at a time it will be easier to pinpoint the culprit.

Let us know how you get on.

tomsheep3000
31-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Sorry for taking a while to respond.

I have tried what you suggested and it has sort of fixed the problem.

Explorer freezes for about 20-30 seconds and then I can open the folder.

Is this possibly because of the incredibly large size of the folder? (it takes up a good third of the hard drive)

Jen
31-08-2006, 07:19 PM
What sort of view mode are you using for Windows Explorer on that folder? Does it happen when you have a simple view such as lists rather than icons?

The_End_Of_Reality
31-08-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes, I have a problem similar to that and I believe it is due to the folder size and number of items in the one folder, are all the programs/apps just put in the 'stuff' folder or are they in different folders in the 'stuff' folder (stuff/media and stuff/games etc etc)?

FoxyMX
01-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Explorer freezes for about 20-30 seconds and then I can open the folder.

Is this possibly because of the incredibly large size of the folder? (it takes up a good third of the hard drive)
I can't find any reference to it now but I have read in the past that Windows Explorer does have problems with very large folders, so yes, that probably is the cause of the freezing.

My suggestion would be to split the contents of the folder into a few smaller ones and if you haven't already done so, turn off the Indexing service.

tomsheep3000
01-09-2006, 05:57 PM
I have split the Software folder up into seperate folders and this has fixed the problem well enough for me.

Thanks a lot.

Lets just hope our good friends Microsoft will produce a better product next time.

The_End_Of_Reality
01-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Good to hear :)

It is actually running the HDD nuts trying to read all of those files at once so it can open the folder, this is unavoidable.