PDA

View Full Version : How do I use my TV as a monitor?

camo
27-08-2006, 08:51 PM
I've just bought a new Radeon graphics card, which has a TV out on it.

I have plugged my 34" CRT television into the video card (via the supplied yellow RCA adaptor) and it is WORKING. I type this while sitting infront of the telly.

But only on the lowest resolution.

And only with the refresh (hertz) rate turned right down. Telly is only 50Hhz, right? I can live with that.

And only with the text size turned RIGHT UP.

I can't fit alot on the screen, and the text (even on the largest setting) can be quite hard to read.

Does anyone know how I could OPTIMIZE my new display?

The_End_Of_Reality
27-08-2006, 08:59 PM
TVs are not high res like a PC monitor, TVs are typically 640x480, or 800x600 (that is the standard square box screen) I also maybe wrong is stating these resolutions, but they are around that figure...

developer
27-08-2006, 09:21 PM
If it is a tranditional TV, and you want to fit the whole desktop on one screen, then the resolution of your desktop cannot be high. I used TV for video playing only (using computer as DVD player), the quality wasnt as good as expected.

Billy T
28-08-2006, 01:14 PM
It's working, but only on the lowest resolution.
And only with the refresh (hertz) rate turned right down. Telly is only 50Hhz, right? I can live with that.

And only with the text size turned RIGHT UP.

TVs are generally locked to a 15,625kHz scan rate and 50 Hz refresh. Unless designed for multiple standards and/or for use as a data display, you are blowing up the proverbial dead horse's arse.

It is never going to look very good compared to a proper monitor so unless you have a special need, it is simply not worth the effort.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
29-08-2006, 10:50 PM
To get something decently readable I think you would need a high-definition TV

Haewai
29-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Hi all

I'm using a S-video out to my TV from my 9250 card. I'm wondering whether the flickering image is to do with my choice of cable.

The card has a 7 pin S-video socket. The TV has a 4 pin S-video socket. I'm running a 4 pin S-video plug connected to the card, to a RCA socket on the TV (ignoring the s-video option). I bought my card second hand so didn't get an adapter, am just using a cheap S-video-rca cable from Duck Smith.

My tv is flash though - supposedly HDTV ready - a panasonic TX32F500. Maybe the flickering is due to the Hertz settings - though the TV runs at 60 hertz through its AV sockets - the same hertz as the card outputs.

So I figure its the cable. I guess I should just get a new card with a seven pin S-video plug to adapter to RCA cable set up... Ideas?

Agent_24
30-08-2006, 01:30 PM
If you use the s-video input on the TV you should get better results than with just composite (the single RCA socket)

A seven-pin s-video to RCA will probably be exactly the same quality as you have at the moment.

I don't think I've ever heard of HDTV through composite video!

Graham L
30-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Early home computers used a maximum of 40 characters per line when using TVs as monitors. The version of Windows for entertainment systems uses large type soi you can read it from a reasonable distance.

TV screens are optimised for displaying pictures, not text.

Pete O'Neil
30-08-2006, 04:41 PM
My tv is flash though - supposedly HDTV ready - a panasonic TX32F500. Maybe the flickering is due to the Hertz settings - though the TV runs at 60 hertz through its AV sockets - the same hertz as the card outputs.

So I figure its the cable. I guess I should just get a new card with a seven pin S-video plug to adapter to RCA cable set up... Ideas?
If your TV is really HDTV capable then you should be using a better method to output to the tv such as HDMI or DVI.

rawkus1020
30-08-2006, 11:13 PM
in vista i was able to change second monitor (tv) to 16 bit insteed of 32 like main monitor that made the picture look heaps better dont know if ya can do it on xp and before someone might know

Haewai
31-08-2006, 02:31 PM
If your TV is really HDTV capable then you should be using a better method to output to the tv such as HDMI or DVI.

Thanks Pete.
My TV has RCA-type (component and composite) and S-video inputs. So I think the best I can do is buy a new video card with a component dongle.

RE the TV being HDTV - it says it is 1080i. The salesman told me it was HDTV ready and 'future proof'. That description, along with a hefty discount, sold me the TV.

Agent_24
31-08-2006, 06:46 PM
my Gigabyte 6600GT came with a box that converts the 7-pin (HD-out? I think) from the card to regular S-Video or Component video ... I guess you want one of those - the component video should give you the high definition you want.

(you can probably purchase the dongle separately though)

my one is kinda like this one (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/44f677e2045ea066273fc0a87f99074d/Product/View/P6676)but with 7-Pin Video instead of SCART

Haewai
31-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Hey, thanks, nice suggestion. Unfortunately I've chosen to limit myself to building my HTPC out of an old small form factor Compaq. So I need to use low profile cards, which means the 6600GT is out. The best I can do is the 6200 or 9550. I'm keeping an eye on TM for either. Problem with TM is that the extra bits and pieces that come with the card are usually long discarded.

The 6200's are cheap on pricespy anyway. Might as well go for it. Shame to have such a nice TV and shoddy HTPC image.

Apologies for thread hijack

Agent_24
31-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Or people keep the extra's when selling on TM...

You should be able to get a low profile card better than a 6200 or 9550 though... Galaxy Tech have a low profile 7600GT (http://www.galaxytech.com/news/listst1.asp?s_id=13) card which should fit (but don't know if it comes with appropriate HDTV adaptor :groan:)

NFC Tech also sell a low profile Asus Radeon X300SE-X (http://www.nfc.co.nz/ProductDetail.asp?ItemID=V0000125&v=MS&c=) (Great choice of naming there!) Which is cheaper than the 9550 and probably better :)

Haewai
01-09-2006, 11:49 AM
It's my nature to be as precise about chosing purchasing decisions as possible. But then I'm unfortunately limited by budget.

There's some really @nal htpc owners out there who insist on only the best and greatest. Others are more pragmatic. The difference is noticable between the forums on htpcnews.com and on gbpvr.com - forum users on the latter tend to be 'meh; s-video from a 9250 is fine...', while users on htpcnews.com just won't accept anything under a 6600GT is watchable.

I think the best bang for buck combo is a 6200 (with 128mb bus) and out/in s-video connections, given I'm budget, AGP, and low profile constrained.