PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood spying on internet downloaders

chiefnz
26-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Very very interesting article in the Weekend Herald today about tracking software that will be used to catch online pirates. There seems to be quite a bit of debate as to where the line is drwan between "policing the Internet" and invading the privacy of the man on the street.

Have a read here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10398156)

Cheers

chiefnz

Renmoo
26-08-2006, 11:04 PM
A well-known quote instantly permeates my head when I read the article:
"Uh-Oh, we're in Trouble" (Power Rangers)

Cheers :)

robsonde
26-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Very very interesting article in the Weekend Herald today about tracking software that will be used to catch online pirates. There seems to be quite a bit of debate as to where the line is drwan between "policing the Internet" and invading the privacy of the man on the street.

Federation Against Copyright Theft in New Zealand....
its a bit hard to take them seriously when they dont have a website that i can find.

I dont download P2P stuff unless is free/open CC type stuff.

its sad that we are going down the same road as USA on this kind of stuff.
its getting to the point that bit-torrent is a bad word and if you have it or use it then you should be locked up. P2P has its place in this world with out being theft.

if NZFACT starts monitoring all internet use then i will start using TOR a lot more, not becaue i have anything to hide but because i dont see why they should be able to get away with it.

there are two types of movies pirates...

1. a lot of downloaders i know will pull down a movie and if its crap then will only watch it once then delete it, if its good they will buy it.

2. others buy a DVD and make 1500 copies and sell them at the local flee market.

who is the bigger threat to the hollywood cash flow??
number 2.

who is easyest to go after??
number 1.

all they will do by this is make the number 2 group be a bit more carfull and clog up the courts system with craploads of cases of number 1 people.

andrew93
27-08-2006, 11:20 AM
From the article : He described the pirate-hunting software as "basically a search engine that searches the search engines".

So is this anything to worry about?

TGoddard
27-08-2006, 12:38 PM
To me this article simply appears to be a grain of truth mixed in with plenty of fluff.

To intercept search results would count as wiretapping (see Crimes Act 216B, please note that I am not a lawyer). Breaking this law could see the people in charge jailed for up to 2 years. Even the people who brought you CSS are unlikely to be that foolish.

Peer to peer networks (mentioned in the announcement of this technology) are the only services that can be affected. When you download files of a peer to peer network your IP address is publicly listed as a person downloading or sharing that file. A bot can identify movies on the network and obtain the addresses of all downloaders. Since the main networks are public, you have no right to expect that this communication will be private. In other words, all these people have is an automated method of searching peer to peer networks, identifying pirated material and recording the IP addresses of downloaders. This is not news, it's simply the first time it has been done on a large scale in New Zealand.

Fishy
27-08-2006, 01:26 PM
All you have to do to not get caught is not be foolish and type in google "free (insert movie title here) download"
Use a torrent or something.

robsonde
27-08-2006, 01:35 PM
From the article : He described the pirate-hunting software as "basically a search engine that searches the search engines".

So is this anything to worry about?

all depends on how they do it....

when i do a google search they have many point that can chtch that.

1. starting at google, we know that dont give out anything.
2. sevral big internatioal routers, I dont think so
3. my ISP, if that hook in to the my ISP then i will change ISPs
4 .and last of all my computer, if they put ANY code on my computer then i call that hacking.

If thay log P2P searchs then that sucks but if they take to loggin all my data then again we have a big problem and i will start using TOR.

I think the question of how they will do this is very importany, not so the bad guys can get around it but so we all know just what is being logged and why.

Graham L
27-08-2006, 01:53 PM
They have lots of money. They have bought lots of political clout (it's really bribery, but you can't corrupt a politician with bribes ... can you? :D ).

So they can have a word with someone who will let them add a few keywords to the Echelon system, which is already scanning all electronic communications. All in the name of national (US) Insecurity. :(

Big Brother is watching.

EX-WESTY
27-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I know someone in NZ who has recently had a couple of phonecalls from their ISP. They were running a DCC hub and had a couple of movies on their from themself or someone else logged into the hub. The heat was coming from the US in this case. Still awaiting further developments........ :waughh: