PDA

View Full Version : SATA to IDE clone help

trinsic
26-08-2006, 07:21 PM
I am trying to move everything from my 80gb sata to a 20gb ide. There is only 16gb on the sata so wish to use a smaller drive and use the sata for something else.

I have tried using the ultimateboot cd to copy everything over but when booting up the hdd to test it it says insert system disk or A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart.

How can I fix this thanks :)

gibler
26-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Need more info:

1) actual app are you using from the ultimate boot CD?
2) what operating system are you using?

trinsic
26-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I will have to check on the app being used but as for OS it is XPHome.

EDIT: Ok Seagate DiskWizard.

Going to try ghost again but the cd is pretty shocking. :(

Ferg
26-08-2006, 07:52 PM
If you are just using a straight file copy program (DOS Navigator?) to copy the files from the SATA to IDE, that won't work because it does not copy the boot sector. Maybe thats the problem, you need something to clone all the sectors. Thats why its asking for a system disk.

trinsic
26-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah I was just told this over MSN and thats why I'm trying Ghost again :)

georgeks
26-08-2006, 08:29 PM
On some systems, when the SATA controller is enabled the pimary IDE channel is disabled, so the system cannot see the drive.
Check your BIOS Settings, maybe you'll have to disable your SATA controller.
This wiil not work on a notebook though-you're not trying to copy your windows installation on a notbook, are you?

trinsic
26-08-2006, 10:05 PM
The system can see both drives in Windows at the same time so I presume they work together. Not copying it to a notebook but simply swaping the hdd that I want to use in it.

Finally got Ghost to work and it now says DISK BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK.

EDIT: Ok from there I just inserted my XP CD and then quit once I had the chance and viola it worked!

Thanks guys for the help. Would of given up if you hadn't ^_^