An exception occurred while trying to run
"C:WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL
C:WINDOWS\system32\appwiz.cpl"

Any ideas how to fix much appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Have u scanned for viruses/worms etc lately?

paulb
26-08-2006, 10:07 PM
yes, have up to date antivirus (AntiVir) and regularly check with Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware.
Cheers

Terry Porritt
26-08-2006, 10:29 PM
You could see if the shell32.dll file needs 're-registering' for some reason.

Go Start - Run , type REGSVR32 SHELL32.DLL in the box and click OK.

paulb
27-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks, tried that. It said it had registered the command but still no luck opening my Add/Remove Programs.
Any other ideas?

Terry Porritt
27-08-2006, 03:59 PM
Since the error message appears to arise from shell32.dll, then it may be worthwhile testing to see if it is corrupted by running system file checker. The original XP installation CD or SP2 CD will be required.

Type sfc /scannow in the Start-Run box, and files in the system32 folder will be checked out, and replaced if neccessary.

Shell32.dll is one of those files that gets replaced during MS updates and patches, so I'm not sure what happens if an older version is substituted.

If you do a find and search on shell32.dll you may see a whole list of them come up in MS updates, and their 'properties' all show different dates and version numbers.

paulb
29-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Yes, tried that. And it did try to search for files on Windows SP2 disc but told me it was the wrong disc!
Not sure where to go from here?

Graham L
07-09-2006, 03:30 PM
I came across an explanation for this problem with sfc /scannow. paulb might have given up on computers and taken up knitting as less frustrating, but here's the solution from PC Authority February issue.

What sfc wants is an XP Professional CD which has the SP2 integrated into it. A plain XP Prof CD, or a CD containing SP2 won't work. :(

There is an MS KB article, How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source files (support.microsoft.com/?scid=828930), but this simple Registry modification might be easier to understand:

After backups, etc, Start/Run then regedit. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Setup .

In the right hand pane right-click on 'ServicePackSourcePath', select Modify from the menu, and change the Value to %windir%\ServicePackFiles

FoxyMX
07-09-2006, 04:31 PM
paulb might have given up on computers and taken up knitting as less frustrating

And you have tried knitting, have you Graham? ;)