PDA

View Full Version : Delete Storage

alsoslick
26-08-2006, 05:16 PM
You know how when you delete something its not permanatly deleted? Well where are the files that arent completely off the system. Where are they stored and can I get to them?

alsoslick
26-08-2006, 05:22 PM
You know how when you delete something its not permanatly deleted? Well where are the files that arent completely off the system. Where are they stored and can I get to them?

Thomas01
26-08-2006, 05:26 PM
They are in your recyle bin.
You should have an icon on your desktop which refers to Recycle Bin.
Just access it and it goes straight there.

alsoslick
26-08-2006, 05:40 PM
no i mean if you do shift + delete when deleting or if they are deleted from the recycling bin. where would they be now?

Billy T
26-08-2006, 05:42 PM
That's only an "address centre" though, delete them from there and they are still recoverable from their original location on your HDD until overwritten by new files.

In simple terms, the only way to do a reasonably reliable delete is to follow deletion with a defrag then use a utility to wipe the free space.

Even then, a forensic expert would probably still be able to recover more files than the average "person with something to hide" would like to have dug up and shoved in front of their face in court.

The only sure deletion method is destruction of the HDD and deep-sixing the remains in the ocean. Fire would work just as well though, and is easier to arrange at short notice.

If you have lost some files, stop using your computer immediately (unless they were on a separate disk from your OS), get a bootable file recovery program and boot from the CD or floppy and you can retrieve anything that hasn't been overwritten.

If you are using the same HDD as the lost files just hit the off switch, don't do a proper shut down and don't reboot unless using a recovery program.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jen
26-08-2006, 05:45 PM
That's only an "address centre" though, delete them from there and they are still recoverable from their original location on your HDD until overwritten by new files.

In simple terms, the only way to do a reasonably reliable delete is to follow deletion with a defrag then use a utility to wipe the free space.He actually wants to recover deleted files, not wipe the disk.

If you do a search of the forum, this question has come up many times before. There are various recovery programs suggested, although most are not free.

alsoslick
26-08-2006, 05:48 PM
thank you

Billy T
26-08-2006, 05:51 PM
He actually wants to recover deleted files, not wipe the disk.
I figured that Jen, and added the extra while you were posting. :D

It is not 100% a given that he wants to recover though, there will be more than one movie pirate out there with a bad case of the ta-ta's right now after seeing the latest court news.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

The_End_Of_Reality
26-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Have you emptied the recycle bin?

You can use a Partition Explorer and these can read them

Jen
26-08-2006, 05:58 PM
This is a duplicate thread. I've merged it with the one in the PressF1 forum.

Graham L
27-08-2006, 04:49 PM
When you delete a file, the OS does not bother erasing the actual contents of the file; it takes the easy step of changing a directory entry, which is how the OS locates files, and marking the disk area it used as free. In DOS, all that was changed was the first character in the filename.

This means that a recovery programme can look in the directory for evidence of deleted files. When it finds one, it can get the starting location of the file, and the size. It might be able to recover a file from this information. If the area hasn't had a new file put in it, and if the original file was not stored in a number of chunks ("fragmented").

After the dreadful moment when you realise: "No, I was not sure", it's important not to use the computer. An immediate power off is indicated. Windows is always writing to the disk. Any write can destroy what you want. It's equally important for recovery programmes not to write recovered data to the same disk partition. They get the OS to write their output, and the OS knows that the areas used by deleted files are free. :D

zqwerty
27-08-2006, 05:54 PM
alsoslick try this:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html