PDA

View Full Version : new motherboard

chris_nz
25-08-2006, 07:51 PM
I've installed a new socket A motherboard to replace faulty one. To my amazement everything works fine, I can boot into BIOS and everything looks good. All other componenets are the same as before. But, of course, Windows XP won't load.

Do I have to reinstall Windows and all my applications again?

The_End_Of_Reality
25-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Yes, you will have to reinstall... drivers will be different. everything should be there.

Yes you will, if you still have data on the drive that you want, slave it in another PC to get the data off.

FoxyMX
25-08-2006, 08:34 PM
It is preferable to reformat and start again after changing a motherboard but you could try a repair install as detailed here (http://www.overclockers.com/tips1155/). If you get problems afterwards then you will need to do the reformat and fresh install.

Mike
25-08-2006, 08:34 PM
You might be able to do a repair or an install over the top of what you've already got - the repair option is available when you put the XP CD in at system boot.

A fresh new install would be tidier, but you would, of course, need to somehow get in to back up all your files etc.

Mike.

Sweep
25-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Your new motherboard may well be a different chipset to the one you replaced and this is why Windows will not load.

drcspy
26-08-2006, 04:59 AM
run a repair install I've done it heaps of times with never a failure yet......