PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct way to install mobo drivers

lazydog
25-08-2006, 01:21 PM
What is the correct way to install motherboard drivers after a reformat?

Before reformatting the computer i downloaded and saved to cd the motherboard drivers for the agp, onboard sound, lan.

On startup after the reinstall the computer hardware wizard popped up looking for the drivers for agp, onboard sound and lan. When i tried to direct it to the files/drivers on the cd it wouldn't recognise them. I then tried to install them through the Device manager with still no luck.

What am i doing wrong?

The computer is a P4 2.8mhz with a sis motherboard.

T.I.A.

pctek
25-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Are they zipped? Or self extracting .exes?

Windows install looks for inf files.

Just run the .exes ro whatever and it will install them and Windows will shut up.

lazydog
25-08-2006, 01:56 PM
They came in zip form from the SIS site so after having no luck trying to install them as is i also tried unzipping them to thier separate respective folders and stored them in My Documents to see if they would be rcognised but still no joy.

I went through the files/drivers and found an install file for the realtec sound and installed that one ok but the Lan and the agp didn't have any .exe install files included in them.
So i need to look for a .inf file for it to load.

This is the second computer i've had trouble with when trying to install the mobo drivers. Is it just me or can they be a pain at times?

Also, Does the computer need to be in safe mode to load the drivers?. Would it help?.

Speedy Gonzales
25-08-2006, 04:21 PM
Unzip the file/s.

And see if theres a setup.exe file in the zipped files. If there is, dbl click on it to run it.

Cant say I've seen inf files for mobo drivers. Only modem/monitor.

The LAN and sound are also usually exe files (setup.exe) within the zipped file.

lazydog
25-08-2006, 08:09 PM
Yeah, the Realteck sound drivers had a setup.exe install file which i used to load them. They work now but still having trouble with the lan and agp. Theres no setup files included in there.

How would i install those ones?

Speedy Gonzales
25-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Post a pic of each file unzipped.

So, we can see what files are in the zipped files.

The AGP and LAN SHOULD have setup.exe or may have install.exe files in them?

rumpty
26-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Are motherboard, as opposed to hardware drivers, actually needed in a Windows, or any other OS, installation? I'm about to replace my good old BX chipset board with a new Gigabyte GA-51GM, AMD X2 CPU. I never installed mobo drivers with the old board, so do I need to with the new one? What do these drivers (supplied with the board on a CD) usually do?

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2006, 02:32 PM
Mobo drivers are needed if theyre on cd.

You usually install these after a format, then u install the other drivers. ie: LAN/Sound/Video etc

They make things work properly and most probably keep things stable.

Greg
27-08-2006, 05:24 AM
I've often wondered about this, because despite having assembled quite a few machines and done heaps of reformats and reinstalls, I've never installed mobo drivers.

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Well, thats true Greg. This PC I'm on has the mobo drivers on the CD.

But the other which is a P4P8x (ASUS), I got for $70 down the road, (I replaced a SIS based mobo - they suck), with an Intel based one. Because it was cheap, it didnt come with a CD.

I had to go to the ASUS site and download the drivers I needed, and I couldnt see / find the mobo drivers. I suppose I could use the P4P800 drivers, since these 2 mobos are pretty much identical.

You can even flash the P4P8x's BIOS, with the P4P800's BIOS (this PC). And get a dramatic increase in speed (on the P4P8x).

On this PC (If you go to device managwer (or maybe even other PC's), if u see a SMB controller entry with a ? this (I think), relates to the mobo drivers.

And if this entry shows in device manager, then the mobo drivers should be installed.

tweak'e
27-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I've often wondered about this, because despite having assembled quite a few machines and done heaps of reformats and reinstalls, I've never installed mobo drivers.
some chipsets use a lot of MS drivers, eg SIS, while others require there own, eg VIA. while a system may run on MS drivers they generally only offer basic functions and will run slow or be minus functions that other devices need.

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2006, 04:19 PM
some chipsets use a lot of MS drivers, eg SIS, while others require there own, eg VIA. while a system may run on MS drivers they generally only offer basic functions and will run slow or be minus functions that other devices need.

Thats true, and if u get drivers from Windowsupdate especially video drivers, your system has a 99% chance of crashing.

Which is why, most mobos have a cd with them on. So, u install them.

Greg
27-08-2006, 08:07 PM
while a system may run on MS drivers they generally only offer basic functions and will run slow or be minus functions that other devices need.Such as? I'm currently running a Gigabyte mobo which was pre-installed when I obtained it. I've done a couple of reformats and Windows XP Pro SP1 reinstalls. Never been required to install drivers, but I've downloaded them. What sort of benefit can I expect if I run the motherboard_driver_chipset_intel_inf.exe?

Mobo is GA-8IPE 1000 series.

rumpty
27-08-2006, 08:37 PM
On my new Gigabyte GA-M51GM motherboard, I had to install the NVidia GeForce system driver and the NVidia VGA driver off the CD that came with the M'board, (could have downloaded them I suppose?) to get any decent monitor resolution/refresh options. Also the AMD Cool and Quiet driver sounded useful too, along with the GeForce IDE driver. This board has on-board graphics.

Thinks. I hope the on-board graphics will work in Linux.

tweak'e
27-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Such as? I'm currently running a Gigabyte mobo which was pre-installed when I obtained it. I've done a couple of reformats and Windows XP Pro SP1 reinstalls. Never been required to install drivers, but I've downloaded them. What sort of benefit can I expect if I run the motherboard_driver_chipset_intel_inf.exe?

Mobo is GA-8IPE 1000 series.
generally speed and reliablity is increased, exspecially IDE/sata performance, agp performance. for some reason some cards do not work well with stock windows pci bridge drivers, usually modems. i've had problems with cards that won't install and the fault is usually lack of mobo drivers.

the thing to remember is do not exspect the drivers that come with an 4 year OS to work 100% with 2 year hardware. new hardware running on drivers which was never made for is just begging for problems. OS's are desiged to work on hardware that allready existed when it came out, not for stuff that wasn't even thought of at that time.

Greg
28-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Cheers for that.