PDA

View Full Version : Adobe, TurboCad, Personal stupidity

Thomas01
24-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I must be mad! AT the age of 73 I am trying to learn TurboCad. OK I have 50 years of drafting experience and have used DCWin for ages but I am finding TurboCad extremely difficult to get a grip of. The help desk I find no good for me - but probably brilliant for those who have used the program for years.
The manual is useless (again unless you already know the program).
I have been given an instruction program which is written in ADOBE and seems about my best chance to make progress. It details how to start and complete a drawing of a battery, and is intended as a learning tool for TurboCad. But I find as with many instructions for learners that reasons for certain actions are not given. I would like to add my own notes to the Adobe instructions.
Something like "this is done to make clarity better" etc. Even being able to show just where I had got to would help.
But I have nothing to add these notes - any suggestions please.
Tom

Graham L
24-08-2006, 06:12 PM
I'd be inclined to print the pages you need. Then you can annotate them to your heart's content. ;) Paper is still a very good medium for transmitting information. Adobe Reader lets you print a page at a time, or a range, I often print 2 pages/page.

Thomas01
24-08-2006, 10:21 PM
I'd be inclined to print the pages you need. Then you can annotate them to your heart's content. ;) Paper is still a very good medium for transmitting information. Adobe Reader lets you print a page at a time, or a range, I often print 2 pages/page.

Agreed Graham - But of course I had already considered this as the best method. Trouble is the darn instructions run to 128 pages - that means a lot of pennies when you are on pension.
Tom

Graham L
25-08-2006, 03:27 PM
But there are usually a lot of blank and useless pages in the count. :) I did stress the pages you need. Even so, printing 2 up, and on both sides (easily done by manually feeding one sheet at a time) would only need 32 sheets.

I'm very shortsighted, so I can see half size print, even after a retinal detachment and a lot of laser welding on both eyes.

Thomas01
26-08-2006, 11:17 AM
But there are usually a lot of blank and useless pages in the count. :) I did stress the pages you need. Even so, printing 2 up, and on both sides (easily done by manually feeding one sheet at a time) would only need 32 sheets.

I'm very shortsighted, so I can see half size print, even after a retinal detachment and a lot of laser welding on both eyes.

Yeah right Graham
Like you I do like printed stuff. So decided to look into printing again. I didn't realise Adobe would give me the option of printing half size - and even so I worried about its legibility. But I find that my new cheap HP scanner/printer does a much better job of printing than my old semi professional Epson did before it eventually cried enough and quietly expired.
So I am taking your advice. but not printing on both sides even though my printer gives me the option of doing this - I decided that it would be better only one side and half size.
I am delighted so far with the reproduction and having no problem reading those I have printed off.
It's back to the old days - when I first started using computers I printed off just about every manual - on a nine pin printer that took time, but it was cheaper than ink jets - and of course I was earning money - wonderful stuff.
I will probably print off all the sheets and hang the expense!
Thanks Graham for your advice which did in fact put me in the right direction.
Tom

andy
27-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi Thomas,
I have sent you a message regarding the cd based video tutorials that are available for turbocad. Check your "private messages".
regards
andy