PDA

View Full Version : Ghost, imaging, your favourites and XP

lightfoot
24-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Which are your favourite ghost and imaging softs: Norton ghost or Acronis or others. I would to ghost an image for backup. If anything goes wrong, I can ghost it back from DOS.

Another thing is that in 98 or ME or 2000 because of no activation, it can be used to quickly setup up a new computer by ghosting one PC and use that image on another. It can't be done like that now because of activation. But it can still be done with corp version of XP as there is no activation.

Can you have on XP home or professional cd working on several machines with a legit key.

Rob99
24-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Acronis, you make a boot CD with Acronis on it, dosent have to be installed on every computer you use it on. It will do a full image or just an incremental backup of any OS, any size HD.

chiefnz
24-08-2006, 10:19 AM
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

2nd vote for Acronis

Delivers the goods when you most need it.

Can you have on XP home or professional cd working on several machines with a legit key.
You can have several installs of Windows XP Home or Pro on different machines using the same CD but you will require a different licence key for each install.

cheers
chiefnz

lightfoot
24-08-2006, 10:36 AM
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

2nd vote for Acronis

Delivers the goods when you most need it.

You can have several installs of Windows XP Home or Pro on different machines using the same CD but you will require a different licence key for each install.

cheers
chiefnz

With corp version, since there is no activation, it can be installed on other PCs. This is where installing OS in another PC using ghost or imaging soft becomes easy and fast. Now without corp, it is more slower.

pctek
24-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Ghost 2003. Which was last actual real Ghost version.

Neil McC
24-08-2006, 05:39 PM
Well,I've just bought Acronis TI 9 after using 8 for a few years. So is that counted!!

Misty
24-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Acronis - I find the instructions very good and everything seems to go fine (mind you, I have not had to restore yet !! <fingers crossed>)

Did quite a lot of research before buying. Got from Dick Smiths
Misty :thumbs:

gibler
24-08-2006, 10:12 PM
I agree with pctek .. Ghost 2003 is my fav (the only problems are due to dirty/scratched restore CDs/DVDs or PCs with bad RAM).

I am looking at True Image, if only to see if I can reduce the time it takes to do a restore. I do find some of the reports on the Acronis forums about the fragile nature of True Image somewhat disturbing though ... e.g. corrupt archives.