PDA

View Full Version : Broadband causes major computer slowdown

csinclair83
23-08-2006, 08:48 PM
I used to have the sloooooooow dialup....no issues with computer,
but since I've got broadband, the computer has been majorly slow, takes around 10 mins for computer to start up and load everything before I can actually use it....its sooo annoying, I even tried disabling nortons/zonealarm/msn/yahoo from starting at start up, and that makes no difference..
Done spyware and antivirus scans, no bad results...

Am with Slingshot for Broadband,
Hard Drive space is 25gig avail out of 40.
Running 2.8ghz and 256mb ram, winxphome with SP2...

Can someone help?

stu161204
23-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Do you have an internal ADSL modem or an external modem?

Have you Scandisk and defrag recently?

Have you had a look & see if you can disable programs you donít need to start up?

csinclair83
23-08-2006, 09:04 PM
External Modem, installed correctly as followed everything to the letter....

Scan Disk no, defragged the night before I installed adsl, a mate told me to do that, cant remember why!

Dont know how to disable....I just did it manually through individual programs...

tweak'e
23-08-2006, 10:11 PM
often the biggest delay is with the networking waiting for an IP addy to be assigned for the network card. the pc will wait till thats done and so will other apps (eg ZA) that require an IP addy to work with. the wait may be the modem. try setting a fixed IP addy for the modem and netwrok card.

pctek
24-08-2006, 09:30 AM
but since I've got broadband, the computer has been majorly slow, takes around 10 mins for computer to start up and load everything before I can actually use it....its sooo annoying, I even tried disabling nortons/zonealarm/msn/yahoo from starting at start up, and that makes no difference..
Done spyware and antivirus scans, no bad results...

What antispyware programs have you used?
Don't disable your AV or Zone Alarm - that will just make things worse.
Nortons is a resource hog, you could look at changing AVs as well.

drcspy
24-08-2006, 09:51 AM
have you tried starting the puter with the BB modem Unplugged just to ascertain if it is indeed the culprit ?

csinclair83
27-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Hey guys! Sorry for not coming back! the world moutian bikes were on and awesome stuff!!!

Anyway,
I unplugged the modem, and it was a slight bit faster, but it wasnt this slow before I installed it at all....so dont really know what the curlpit is....

Fast when i was on dialup...
Installed/using BB....slooooooooow....
Installed but not using BB....slower than before installation but a bit faster...

I've always been recommended to use Nortons so yeah, but if someone recommends a different one and better, and preferably free then i'll consider it.

I thought it would cost more to get a fixed IP addy?

Antispyware programs i used was adaware and spybot....

tweak'e
27-08-2006, 09:17 PM
I thought it would cost more to get a fixed IP addy? the lan card ip addy not the IP addy the modem gets from the ISP.

matty3
27-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Hello csinclair83. Welcome to Press F1,

I too think that after getting broadband the computer has slowed down a little. Would it be that the software that was installed when you set up your modem is slowing your computer down, then it wouldn't be the modem itself and unplugging it wouldn't make much difference.

Norton Antivirus was installed on both of our computers when we got them new, as I expect on quite a few people's computers especially major brands. I had the same question a while back, "Which free antivirus would be the best for me?" It really is a matter of personal choice, but I use AVG. There is also
Advast Antivirus that I havn't tried but they are both reccomended the same.

Do you know if you are running on a free 6 month subscription or if you have bought a subscription? If you have bought a subscription I would reccomend you to stay with Norton until it expires. If you are running on a free subscription you will have to change sooner or later unless you want to buy a subscription which I would not reccomend.

The reason being is that you can get the same amount of protection from a free program or sometimes even more than a commerical program like Norton. My friend has Norton and one of the reasons they are staying with it is because it is the Internet Security one and it does everything for them itself. But you would probably find that if you put in some effort then you can make a better (free) package yourself. Just my 5 cents worth.

I don't think it would cost you to get a fixed IP addy, I think you can just tinker with your settings although I might be wrong.

~Matt :-)

Greven
27-08-2006, 10:50 PM
I've only found 2 problems with Norton antivirus or net security, but they are both major problems that mean I won't reccomend norton products to anyone.

1. The protection center is really annoying (always giving those anoying popups when you don't have your computer configured exactly how it likes it, plus it changes your IE home page even when you tell it not to)

2. It slows most computers it is installed on down to a crawl, and those that can survive having Norton products installed would run even better without it.

FIxed IP: Setting your network card to use a fixed IP probably will speed up your startup slightly, but won't make any difference to the general running of the computer. This shouldn't be confused with a static internet IP - that usually costs extra & most people wouldn't make use of it.

Big John
28-08-2006, 02:39 AM
I've only found 2 problems with Norton antivirus or net security, but they are both major problems that mean I won't reccomend norton products to anyone.

1. The protection center is really annoying (always giving those anoying popups when you don't have your computer configured exactly how it likes it, plus it changes your IE home page even when you tell it not to)

Turn it off. I have mine turned off and it never has popups or warns me. Never changes my homepage either.

2. It slows most computers it is installed on down to a crawl, and those that can survive having Norton products installed would run even better without it.

So does every security program. They have to because they scan every file as they access if it is good. I have ZA IS on one PC and Nortons IS on one other and Nortons 360 (beta) on a 3rd and they all run the same speed. However ZA does scan files a lot slower than Nortons when doing a full drive scan.

I have used Fixed IP and DHCP addresses and the modem/router handles these and they instant from the modem because all it does is find a unused one and allocate it and send it back to the PC. You would not be able to measure this.

I would suspect some software installed with the modem/router that may have done something.

JJJJJ
28-08-2006, 07:12 AM
My opinions.
Get rid of Norton. Throw it as far away as you can. It certainly blocks viruses, but uses up far to much disk space and computer resources. It definately slows your computer.
I now use , and reccomend, NOD32. It's about $60 a year.But it's worth it. It does not interfere with thr runnuing of the computer. You see the LOGO when you start up and that's the only time you see it.
Your modem can make a great difference to internet speed.
My first was a Belkin. A real dog. Next was a DSE ,usb modem. not much faster but much simpler to use. I now use a Billion adsl router/modem. Download speed more than doubled. Setup was even simple enough for me to follow. Plug it in. No setup disk required. It asks for your ISP and your account name and password. It does the rest itself.
Another thing to watch out for are Firewalls. Most adsl modems seem to come with their own firewall. You could have two or three of them on you comp. without realising it.
IMO a firewall is not necessary on the average home computer. But if you insist on one just make sure you only have one. Two or more can realy slow you down

drcspy
28-08-2006, 07:24 AM
IMO a firewall is not necessary on the average home computer

i DARE you to try connectin to the web WITHOUT a firewall and then come back and tell us how long you lasted without catching something nasty.........it'll be minutes if you are LUCKY .......or seconds.......

JJJJJ
28-08-2006, 09:14 AM
IMO a firewall is not necessary on the average home computer

i DARE you to try connectin to the web WITHOUT a firewall and then come back and tell us how long you lasted without catching something nasty.........it'll be minutes if you are LUCKY .......or seconds.......

I have NEVER EVER caught something nasty. Apart from the odd trial I have never used a firewall, apart from the windows one. And I spend about 12 hours a day on line.

SO THERE :o

drcspy
28-08-2006, 09:34 AM
do you mean that you dont have a firewall enabled at all or that you use the windows one...........cause NO firewall is GUARANTEED to get you a nasty and FAST..

JJJJJ
28-08-2006, 10:09 AM
do you mean that you dont have a firewall enabled at all or that you use the windows one...........cause NO firewall is GUARANTEED to get you a nasty and FAST..

The windows one is enabled. No other firewall installed

drcspy
28-08-2006, 12:28 PM
yeh well.......ah since you seem to be of the belief that no firewall is necessary then I suggest you try turning the windows one off and see how long you last....

ah...dont do it...

systm
28-08-2006, 01:09 PM
On the topic of firewalls, I've used Sygate for about 2 years now and I really like it. Simple to use and my computer runs alot smoother. Sygate + AVG Anti Virus = pretty sweet for home users :)

Agent_24
29-08-2006, 11:05 PM
As well as not letting things in - Firewalls are good at not letting things out.. like the keylogger that snuck into your computer and just now decided to try and send something to someone... windows firewall is such a piece of crap, it blocks known games but would probably let such a keylogger by without a second thought :groan:

matty3
30-08-2006, 07:47 PM
IMO a firewall is not necessary on the average home computer. But if you insist on one just make sure you only have one. Two or more can realy slow you down

A firewall is a necessity on any computer. If you use the internet AT ALL you need a firewall, you say you don't need/have a firewall at all, but later on you say you use Windows firewall. You're contradicting yourself.

godfather
30-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Many broadband ADSL routers have Network Address Translation (NAT) enabled which provides a similar level of protection (one-way inwards) to the Windows firewall.

JJJJJ
30-08-2006, 08:16 PM
A firewall is a necessity on any computer. If you use the internet AT ALL you need a firewall, you say you don't need/have a firewall at all, but later on you say you use Windows firewall. You're contradicting yourself.

I thought it was obvious that I was referring to an "addon" firewall.

Too many people believe all the bull put out by self styled computer experts who may have an interest in selling you something.

As I said I have never had a virus or hacker or any other nasty infect my computer. I take no special precautions. I don't consider it necessary to rush out and buy some dubious program that allegedly blocks all the evil lurking out there.

godfather
30-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Presently I have the XP firewall enabled, but for a long time I had none, the NAT router looked after me just fine.

I have never run without an updated AV program however.

And for the record, I have never had an infection, either viral or malware. And yes, I do scans to check....

MyHost
30-08-2006, 10:54 PM
I thought it was obvious that I was referring to an "addon" firewall.

Too many people believe all the bull put out by self styled computer experts who may have an interest in selling you something.

As I said I have never had a virus or hacker or any other nasty infect my computer. I take no special precautions. I don't consider it necessary to rush out and buy some dubious program that allegedly blocks all the evil lurking out there.
You've been lucky then. As far as "allegedly" blocking the evils - there's no black magic involved here. Pretty simple principles involved, and it sure beats leaving your computer open to the possibilities. ZoneAlarm is free - no selling necessary. Just try it, and count the number of incoming attempts it blocks in an evening. Why risk it? :)

Greven
30-08-2006, 11:12 PM
count the number of incoming attempts it blocks in an evening. Why risk it? :)

That would be 0 for people with a NAT router (that isn't set up to forward absolutely everything like the dlinks Xtra supplies are)

MyHost
30-08-2006, 11:20 PM
That would be 0 for people with a NAT router (that isn't set up to forward absolutely everything like the dlinks Xtra supplies are)That's all well and good, but I don't think JJJJJ mentioned anything about routers. The implication seemed to be that firewall software is some kind of snake oil sent forth to extort every last penny from the innocent masses. That's what I couldn't quite fathom :)

JJJJJ
31-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Firewalls, in the main are just a joke to keep idle hands busy.Ane I'm not talking about the windows one. At least it does no harm.

My experiences with fire walls:

Zone alarm. Tried it for a couple of days. All it did was tell me something or other needed acess to the internet.

Belkin. Built into my first Router. It refused to let me send or receive e-mail. And it's default setting was on. So had to disable it everytime I turned computer on. result: 1 Belkin router used as practice for long distance throwing competition.

Asus Firewall. (Built into new motherboard). Would not let me use floppy drive. Would not permit winzip 10 to work properly.

So as I have said. Firewalls are rubbish. They cause more problems than they fix.

So if I do pick up any of the evil things some people worry about. A simple format and re-install will fix it. And it won't take as long as the time I have wasted on firewalls.

Cicero
31-08-2006, 09:39 AM
Firewalls, in the main are just a joke to keep idle hands busy.Ane I'm not talking about the windows one. At least it does no harm.

My experiences with fire walls:

Zone alarm. Tried it for a couple of days. All it did was tell me something or other needed access to the internet.

Belkin. Built into my first Router. It refused to let me send or receive e-mail. And it's default setting was on. So had to disable it every time I turned computer on. result: 1 Belkin router used as practise for long distance throwing competition.

Asus Firewall. (Built into new motherboard). Would not let me use floppy drive. Would not permit winzip 10 to work properly.

So as I have said. Firewalls are rubbish. They cause more problems than they fix.

So if I do pick up any of the evil things some people worry about. A simple format and re-install will fix it. And it won't take as long as the time I have wasted on firewalls.
Well said JJ.
I have recently installed nod32 and find it brilliant.Whenever I do a scan with adaware and spybot,they show nothing.
With avg I used to be continually cleaning nasties.

drcspy
31-08-2006, 09:53 AM
errrrrrrrrr..........what can I say to the two previous posts but .............LOL

FoxyMX
31-08-2006, 09:59 AM
Don't rubbish third-party firewalls just because you are one of the few who don't actually need one, Jack. Your Billion modem/router has built-in NAT which, along with the Windows firewall, would take care of all the incoming threats and your NOD32 would take care of anything dodgy that tried installing itself on your system. There is the slight possibility of something getting past NOD32 that a third-party firewall would alert you to but the chances of that happening is pretty remote in your case.

For most of the rest of us a third-party firewall is essential protection. Just consider yourself lucky. ;)

netchicken
31-08-2006, 12:01 PM
So you find it easier to format and reinstall software on your machine because the absence of a firewall has let nasties in, rather than actually use a firewall and not have any nasties?

Its a bit like diving a car without brakes, and being happy to rebuild the car when it crashes rather than have effective brakes to start out with.

I have used zonealarm since it first came out (I think late 1990's) and never have viruses, or if I did, historically they came in on floppies not via the internet.

Cicero
31-08-2006, 02:28 PM
It's clear JJJ the above don't have the benefit of Nod32.

SolMiester
31-08-2006, 03:01 PM
I cant believe what I am reading....JJJJJ, if you have no 3rd party firewall, how do you know a trojan, logger isnt sending private info back to its originator. If your pc is only used for gaming/browsing, music downloads, you may get away with it, however, alot of people do online banking etc at home. If a logger was to send info out from your pc, neither windows firewall or NAT would know about it.
Zone Alarm/sygate and many others are free and once configured and applications set, are easy to use and you have peace of mind. Dont be an arrogant idiot!.

FoxyMX
31-08-2006, 03:16 PM
SolMiester, I am one of the forum's most enthusiastic firewall users so I know the importance of using them but I also recognise that there are some people who just don't need a third-party firewall and Jack is one of them.

Jack does not use P2P, download music or surf dodgy sites (I don't think... :p), nor does he share his computer with others who do so the chances of him picking up a trojan that slips past NOD32 is very remote.

Besides, he rebuilds and reformats his computers as often as we change our socks so any trojans that does get on wouldn't be there long enough to do any damage. :p

Jack, don't go opening any files sent to you by strangers or PF1 users now, will ya. ;) :D

Mr Wetzyl
31-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Interesting to read through this thread which originally talks about Broadband slowing down computer...to discuss about firewalls...I wonder if the person who post the thread has got any help yet to fix his issue....

JJJJJ
31-08-2006, 05:26 PM
SolMiester, I am one of the forum's most enthusiastic firewall users so I know the importance of using them but I also recognise that there are some people who just don't need a third-party firewall and Jack is one of them.

Jack does not use P2P, download music or surf dodgy sites (I don't think... ), nor does he share his computer with others who do so the chances of him picking up a trojan that slips past NOD32 is very remote.

Besides, he rebuilds and reformats his computers as often as we change our socks so any trojans that does get on wouldn't be there long enough to do any damage.

Jack, don't go opening any files sent to you by strangers or PF1 users now, will ya. ;) :D

Well spoken Foxy.:thumbs:

If I install any program that doesn't run properly without spending a month shagging about making adjustments, then I brand it as junk. And this applies to every firewall I've ever looked at.

Yes , I'll keep my eyes open for any dodgy looking e-mails too.:D

Agent_24
31-08-2006, 06:37 PM
Interesting to read through this thread which originally talks about Broadband slowing down computer...to discuss about firewalls...I wonder if the person who post the thread has got any help yet to fix his issue....

To which the reply is also LOL

FoxyMX
01-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Interesting to read through this thread which originally talks about Broadband slowing down computer...to discuss about firewalls...:thumbs:

I wonder if the person who post the thread has got any help yet to fix his issue....Probably has since he hasn't been back but who cares? The OP has a habit of not returning to post feedback on his results. :rolleyes:

netchicken
01-09-2006, 10:31 AM
Maybe he didn't gain much, but I am sure that we all benefit from threads like this, I certinaly do :)

csinclair83
02-09-2006, 11:42 AM
hey guys...I'm around.....just saw that the whole thread really went off to firewalls.....

a whole interesting thread, and no my computer is still on the slow down, and i wouldnt really blame nortons, because my computer was fine until broadband was isntalled....and nortons was already in use...have been using it for a few years...and oddly the subscription doesnt end until next december as I just had a look (must be all the reformats that extend it)...so i'd say its coz of the broadband installation, wouldnt i? or the installation did a effect to some other programs and yeah?

Am currentlyu thinking of reformatting and starting fresh but with a new antivirus or something, the only firewalls I ahve in use is the windows one and zone alarm....i think but definately zone alarm coz thats working now...

I know i havent been back lately, works been busy and yeah, but am here now :D

and to help, the only things i do on my computer is emails, websites but not dodgy ones, and the odd game or 2, mainly that sticksports website...as the broadband was mainly brought for xbox live.....even if we havent used it yet!!!