PDA

View Full Version : Video from tape to PC?

mejobloggs
22-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Can you get video/sound off a tape, and put it on your pc so you can edit/burn it?

If so, how? What do I need?

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2006, 08:28 PM
There's like 6-10 posts in here about it.

You need a tv tuner or video capture card, with video in and preferably some software that can record the signal from the s-video / video socket on it.

Depending on what u get it may record in mpeg format or something, then use something like Nerovision or similar to edit / burn it to DVD.

Thats for a VCR. On the other hand, if u mean digital video, u use either firewire or USB2. If u have a digital video cam.

Metla
22-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Or if you want to be really crafty you can run a VHS through a camcorder(which will switch her from analouge to digital thus rendering the audio and video in perfect sync as we as encoding to a standardised format (DV) anyhow, VHS into camcorder and then into Firewire port on the PC.

Easy, like Sunday mooooooornniiinnnnggggggg....

That reminds me, I never did get around to caling in on PJ, Must look into that.

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2006, 09:06 PM
You also need an RCA cable (2 or 3 plugs at one end - For video / audio), and a 3.5mm plug / RCA / s-video adapter / plug on the other end.

Which plugs into line in on the soundcard. And whatever video input is on the card.

And if you've only got a mono (not stereo video), the recorded sound will also be mono not stereo.

Poppa John
22-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Or if you want to be really crafty you can run a VHS through a camcorder(which will switch her from analouge to digital thus rendering the audio and video in perfect sync as we as encoding to a standardised format (DV) anyhow, VHS into camcorder and then into Firewire port on the PC.

Easy, like Sunday mooooooornniiinnnnggggggg....

That reminds me, I never did get around to caling in on PJ, Must look into that.

I thought I must have offended you!!!!!! PJ

Poppa John
22-08-2006, 09:15 PM
After all, I am a whole 100 metres awayPJ :rolleyes: :waughh: :lol:

mejobloggs
23-08-2006, 10:32 AM
There's like 6-10 posts in here about it.Eheh, true... But I was tired and didn't think before posting :groan:

mejobloggs
23-08-2006, 10:41 AM
I think that would be the way to go, as I don't have all the other stuff talked about. Can you give more instruction on this?

Thanks.

lazydog
23-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Hi mejobloggs,

Having transferring old Hi8 tapes onto my computer a few ways i really recommend, as melta has above, the digital camera way.

I brought a canon mvx250i digital camera and as well as being a great camera it features analoge to digital pass thru which means it can digitalise an analoge signal on the fly. Normally you have to record the analoge signal onto a dv tape and then on to your computer. Does the job but you could need alot of dv tapes and theres all that wear and tear on the cameras tape heads. With the pass thru you dont need tapes.

Tv cards are good but the results from using a digital camera are great.

stu161204
23-08-2006, 02:44 PM
After all, I am a whole 100 metres awayPJ :rolleyes: :waughh: :lol:

LOL :D, poor PJ :D

Poppa John
23-08-2006, 08:40 PM
LOL :D, poor PJ :D

If Metla will come this weekend I Promise :-

I will Shower.

Shave.

Clean my teeth.

Put on clean Underpants & Socks.

And it is not the end of the month yet. Oh the Stress of it all. PJ :o :) :waughh: