PDA

View Full Version : Got a used notebook Hard Drive off ebay....

JMobile
22-08-2006, 10:31 AM
...but I don't think it's working properly. I add in on to my notebook and took my other 40GB Hard drive out to install my ebay 100gb Hard Drive. Now, this is what I get, I get the option to run XP in a certain mode, so I choose Safe Mode. That is the only way I can use the Hard Drive! Now recently I upgraded to XP Pro. Now all I get is a "Blue Screen" with some words on it and it resets itself and I keep seing the same thing over and over again. I know the Blue Screen is bad, but so does that mean that the HD is bad too? I need some help! The owner of this HD said that it is in good condition and works great, he just wanted a higher capacity of Gigs in a HD.

FoxyMX
22-08-2006, 10:44 AM
You will have to reformat the "new" hard drive and install Windows and your notebook's motherboard drivers before using it. You cannot just plonk in a HDD from another computer and expect it to work with your own as the drivers are all different.

andy
22-08-2006, 10:48 AM
You cant just take out your hard drive and stick in another one if it is your only drive. If it does have windows still installed on it (which the previous owner should have wiped clean) it will not recognise your pc or have the correct drivers loaded. You will have to reformat it and reinstall windows and all your software. There are a heap of posts and faqs on this site to tell you how to do this.

JMobile
22-08-2006, 11:00 AM
There are a heap of posts and faqs on this site to tell you how to do this.

Can you help me???? :thumbs: :dogeye:
I need a walkthrough to reformat. I haven't learn that yet.

But also, is the Hard drive still good?

pctek
22-08-2006, 02:26 PM
The best thing to do would be to use the Recovery CDs for your notebook.
If it didn't have any there is usually the option from Windows to Create a set.
Put the old drive back in and do that, then swap it back and boot with your recovery CD(s) - that should format as well as restore it back to how it originally was.

The drive is probably fine, but you can't as has been said just bung it in and expect it to work, you'll have to either do a complete install or use the Recovery method.

JMobile
22-08-2006, 06:42 PM
I believe I do still have my recovery CD's for my laptop. So I use that with the new HD in my laptop and watch the magic appear.

FoxyMX
22-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Just remember to save to CD or DVD any data that you wish to keep. There is a FAQ on backing up files available here (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=Backing_up_files) if you are interested.

JMobile
22-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Um.. It won't let me use the Recovery discs.This is how it goes, I turn on my notebook, then it says Windows XP, then it gives me the blue screen stating to check my hard drive and then it resets itself all over again. I don't know how to use the setup screen yet.

FoxyMX
22-08-2006, 07:12 PM
Is this with the old hard drive back in the laptop? Don't try doing it with the new one.

pctek
22-08-2006, 07:59 PM
I believe I do still have my recovery CD's for my laptop. So I use that with the new HD in my laptop and watch the magic appear.
With the new HDD in the notebook, insert Recovery CD 1 and then boot into your BIOS - make sure CD/DVD is set as the first Boot device.

Then it should boot off the Recovery CD and not try to load off the HDD.

Pete O'Neil
22-08-2006, 08:14 PM
JMobile you need to do some research before asking anymore questions, you clearly have no idea what you are doing. The harddrive you brought from eBay shouldnt have an OS (Operating System), thus installing it as your only HDD and expecting anything to happen is crazy. You will thus need to do a format of the new drive and install an OS, go read some guides on how to format/partion harddrives and install windows.

JMobile
23-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Hooray!!!! Problem has been fixed! :waughh: :thumbs:
Took me about an hour or so to install the Recovery CD's!
Thanks alot guys!

FoxyMX
23-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Glad to hear it. :thumbs:

Thanks for letting us know. :cool: