PDA

View Full Version : New to Linux

CraigPointon
21-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Details:
Modem: DSE ADSL Modem XH1148
Question: Internet

I have recently installed 64-Bit SuSE 10.1 Linux.

How do you setup broadband on it?!

I have visited the distros install guides which were too complicated and the forum but it doesn't seem to receive any activity so I need your help - please, before I give up on Linux.

Shortcircuit
21-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I feel for you :rolleyes: I installed SuSe 10.1 a month or so ago and gave up in dispair/disgust, but this is how it should go:

If you have your router connected by an ethernet cable you shouldn't have to do anything and Suse should detect it as a network connection or lan on boot-up. You will then have to open a browser (IE or Firefox etc) window and type the address of your router in (it will be in the router manual) so that you can set up the router permissions etc.

You will have to set up your internet account details for e-mail etc as per usual.

Sorry if the internet set-up bit sounds a bit vague... my router was already set up from using Windows, I just plugged the ethernet cable in and it was ready to go... one of the few things it was easy to do in Suse!

Jen
21-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Welcome to PressF1

Had a look at the Linux installation instructions for your USB modem provided by DSE and I think you will be out of luck. There is no source available for the driver, and you are using a new 64-bit OS. The drivers that are available are for much older OSs. You could try the binary source RPM for Linux Mandrake 9.2 Source RPM (RPM 1.35 MB), but I would be suprised if it works.

The best way of connecting to ADSL with Linux that works 100% with no driver installation at all, is to use a ethernet connection to your modem.

Shortcircuit
21-08-2006, 11:00 PM
or you may have to buy an new ethernet router as Jen suggests :thumbs:

CraigPointon
21-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Can you guide me through a internal 56k modem setup?

Jen
21-08-2006, 11:08 PM
That depends on what exact model and chipset your internal modem has. Most are WinModems and these are not often compatible with Linux due to no driver or source code being released by the company. What are details of your modem.

Graham L
22-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Probably most widely used WinModems will have been handled ... the software developers find they have them when they buy a new computer, or they have a relative or freind caught with one. So they find a way.:D

The linmodems.org site is probably the best place to look to see if one is handled.

Or just "make_and_model_ of_hardware_device linux" to Google finds out problems or lack of problems or ways around problems with hardware.

beama
22-08-2006, 02:59 PM
this may help you (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=How_do_I_...#Get_my_dialup_modem_t o_work)

TGoddard
22-08-2006, 03:28 PM
According to the linux readme file for your modem ( http://www.dse.co.nz/isroot/dse%5Csupport/XH1148-Readme.pdf ) there are drivers for Redhat and Mandrake (now Mandriva) linux distributions. These are reasonably old but you could check the CD to see whether there's a general source distribution. These will only be needed to connect by USB - all ethernet connections should work with no additional software.

Hhel
22-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Serial, External modems have a much higher success rate with Linux IMHO. I used to run a Speedcom External but it kept hanging up. I replaced it last year with a Dynalink 1456VQE External; didn't even bother to install it. It just dialed in to the ISP using the Speedcom's settings and has been working perfectly ever since. The box had a driver disk for Windows but no driver was needed for Linux (Xandros).

Xandros wouldn't even look at a Lucent internal winmodem.

Jim

beama
22-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Xandros wouldn't even look at a Lucent internal winmodem

depends on the chipset its using, Ive had Lucent winmodem work on Xandros (luck more than good management) then again Ive had other lucent winmodems refuse to work just as you say

Myth
22-08-2006, 06:19 PM
I would second the: either using an ethernet connected adsl modem; or get a serial dialup modem (external).
I use linux as my only OS ... have for ages now. I currently connect to the net with an ethernet connected ADSL router (modem with a few other bits and pieces for networking). Before that I used a Dynalink external modem for dialup (sold that recently to another PF1 linux user). Both were reasonably easy to set up and use.