PDA

View Full Version : BIG ladder...where to buy?

KiwiMR2
21-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Im looking to buy a ladder....12m to be exact. Have only found ONE option....can anyone point me towards some suppliers?

Cheers
KiwiMR2

plod
21-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Ullrich aluminium in cornish st petone 5688188

somebody
21-08-2006, 10:50 PM
Alco ladders have an 0800 number - look them up in the phone book.

Metla
21-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I bought my last ladder at a tool shop (after getting blank stares from Mitre 10 after telling them all their ladders failed OSH compiance so were worthless rubbish...heh heh heh)

Anyhow, The Geezer behind the counter had a dozen different catologues of them, was as simple as pointing out a suitable item and it was dropped off at the jobsite the next day.

Cicero
22-08-2006, 08:48 AM
These are good but expensive.

https://www.ladders.com/ver2/index.asp?refcode=LPGHS

somebody
22-08-2006, 09:20 AM
I bought my last ladder at a tool shop (after getting blank stares from Mitre 10 after telling them all their ladders failed OSH compiance so were worthless rubbish...heh heh heh)

Were you looking at the right ladders? The Alco "Industrial" ladders (with blue top) are rated at 150kg as per OSH regulations - unless the rules have changed since then??

tweak'e
22-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Were you looking at the right ladders? The Alco "Industrial" ladders (with blue top) are rated at 150kg as per OSH regulations - unless the rules have changed since then??
mitre10 aand a lot of other places often only sell the domestic range which may notbe OSH complaint.

the stuiped thing with that is i purposely use domestic ladders, not because they are cheaper, because they are LIGHTER. however you cannot do certain things with them and the manafatures will NOT gaurantee them for commercial use.

Metla
22-08-2006, 11:53 AM

I had to buy a step-ladder with a fixed hinge.....

Hitech
22-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Have you tried your local fire brigade they have very long ladders.

Graham L
22-08-2006, 02:39 PM
... i purposely use domestic ladders, not because they are cheaper, because they are LIGHTER. That's the problem. A lighter ladder, however nice that is, isn't as strong as a heavy one. I spent many hours up ladders and I learned very quickly to put up with heavy ladders. With no time for a parachuite to open, I liked the extra feeling of security.

An oregon ladder is probably still the best for strength/weight. An aluminium ladder (over 6 m or so) which is strong enough is a bit too heavy for one person to handle with comfort. Some I've seen with an aluminium lower section and a fibreglass top section (for insulation) might not be too bad to handle, but I never used one.

Fire brigades use long ladders. They are wooden, with arched sides, not simple rails. Lovely ladders. I have an idea that they cost quite a lot. ;) (Of course an industrial ladder costs a lot, but the fire brigade ones would cost a lot).

beetle
22-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Have you thought about asking the local power companys ? to see what their boys in the field use? they use wooden ladders which extend and one person can carry. Not sure what length tho sorry. And they always harness themselves to the poles.

Just a sugestion.

beetle

tweak'e
22-08-2006, 08:50 PM
That's the problem. A lighter ladder, however nice that is, isn't as strong as a heavy one. exactly, you simply cannot use it to do some things for eg climb up it with it on a 45 degree angle or handle huge amounts of use. you simply have to use the equipment wisely, not like building sites where i see 2 or more people going up a ladder at the same time :eek:

Graham L
23-08-2006, 02:59 PM
A "fun" :( game is raising a long ladder in a gusty wind. (Not to mention being at the top in a gusty wind. That's when it becomes no longer "one hand for the firm, one for me".

I always followed the old Post Office rule. "A ladder must be secured at the top before anyone climbs it". :D

I still prefer a rung or ladder step which doesn't bend when I'm carrying something heavy up the ladder.