PDA

View Full Version : Scan to word document

Myth
21-08-2006, 01:06 PM
I have an acquaintance who is getting an old computer free of charge soon.
Ideally he wants to use it to store various documents, repair manuals etc. He is wanting to scan all his Haynes manuals (*he owns about 3 or 4, one of which is getting rather old and tatty) onto the computer so that rather that get his manuals all greasy, and worn, he has them as a paper backup to what is on the computer.

He wants to know: is there software available that will allow him to scan pages to Word?
Or alternatively: are there manuals (like Haynes) online that he can purchase and keep on his computer? I told him if available they may be in pdf format, he doesn't mind so long as he can read them page by page as required.

He said he doesn't want to scan and have each page as a pic (as is usual with normal scanning software).
This isn't for piracy purposes, he owns the manuals, and they will be stored for his own personal use (as they are relevant to cars, bikes he owns or is building)

I read recently somewhere that a new scanning software (unsure of name) makes scanning to Word possible, anyone tried this, or know what Im referring to?

Incidentally, he has a usb scanner, and the computer runs Win 98. There is also an XP Home computer in the house, this may possibly be used if needed.

Scouse
21-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi Tazz. Most scanners will now scan with OCR - optical character regognition - which permits the document to be read and modified in Word. The trouble is that most OCR programmes have a miss-rate - that is they don't regognise some characters and all I have tried require manual editing after the scan.

godfather
21-08-2006, 01:25 PM
I concur with the "hit and miss" approach that many OCR programs give, also there can be major issues with line drawings as they may be interpreted as something else altogether.

I had the same issue with a ride-on mower manual, so I scanned each page as an image, then pasted the image into Word as one image to a page, then converted all the pages to a PDF.

Some scanners will do a PDF automatically, eliminating that step but the one I was using at the time would not.

A typical workshop manual would be a poor result with OCR, based on my trials. There would be too much garbage produced..

SurferJoe46
21-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Haynes is here (http://haynes.com/) ...although no professional will use them as they are full of mistakes and bad info...good luck....

FYI: check out the firing/injection order on the Roosa-Master pump according to Haynes for the Ford/International Harvester 6.9 and 7.2 engines...all wrong!

I had a customer complain that I messed up the firing order on his original injector pump when he tried to attach the individual pipes in the positions that Haynes said was correct. ..........needless to say, he bought a new engine and Haynes said "Tough S^#t!"

(kinda sounds like another company that has that SONY attitude!)

Scouse
21-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Error.

Sweep
22-08-2006, 12:49 AM
A typical workshop manual would be a poor result with OCR, based on my trials. There would be too much garbage produced..

I have used Omnipage myself but would not bother with a manual that contains diagrams. Omnipage is probably the best OCR software around but you would still need to edit the resultant text.

Your results will vary depending on scanner settings, the font and size in the original and other things.

Maybe pictures of the pages in the manual is the best way to go. Very labour intensive and of course you will not be able to edit the text without OCR.

However your friend will have the pictures and will not be touching with grease on the hands.

Robby
22-08-2006, 10:31 AM
gidday,

Most software that comes with the scanner, will have the OCR option, which will allow you to scan more than one page at time.

I would suggest saving the scan documents in PDF format, rather than
word as the hit rate can be poor, and cause lots of editing.

cheers,

Robby