PDA

View Full Version : clearing hard drive

prollematic
20-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I need to clear my hard drive. I got my notebook off of ebay and it didnt come with a windows start-up disk. I have a windows xp start-up disk but the notebook has windows xp media center. Will the xp disk work for media center? if not, what should i do?

silvero
20-08-2006, 06:10 PM
What do you actually want to clear off the hard drive? The previous owner's data & programs? What do you want to do from the recovery disk?

If you want to reimage the machine (wipe the HDD and reinstall the OS like new), some notebooks have recovery images on the hard disk itself, if you look at the manufacturers site you may discover how to reimage it without using any CDs.

prollematic
21-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Well, Ive used up alot of the notebooks memory and I want to clear my hard drive to free up some more memory.

silvero
21-08-2006, 01:17 PM
You'll need to be more specific, do you want to completely wipe your hard disk drive and start with it empty? Wipe it and reinstall Windows? Just delete some files to create space?

If you just want to make some room, try running TreeSize (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/treesize.html), this program will tell you how big your various folders are, so you can see what is taking up all the space.

prollematic
21-08-2006, 02:52 PM
Yes, I want to wipe it and reinstall windows.

silvero
21-08-2006, 03:18 PM
OK then you have a couple of options. But before doing anything make sure you have backed up anything you want to keep from the machine.

One option is to use a manufacturer drive image to reimage your hard drive, this is the easiest and best solution, but it depends on the availability of a drive image. Some laptops have this image on the hard drive, and it may be possible to obtain an image from the manufacturer - start with the manufacturer's website and look for recovery options.

Another option is to reinstall from scratch using a full copy of Windows. There are a couple of hassles with this, the first is many hardware drivers for notebook components don't come with Windows so you'll need to download them from the manufacturers website before you begin. Also, unless you are going to use a different licensed copy of Windows you'll need a copy of Media Center and the product key from your current install in order to reinstall and reactivate.

Greg
21-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Another option is to reinstall from scratch using a full copy of WindowsHe's already got a full Windows disk, and seems to know all the implications.

I think what he wants to know is if the Windows Media Centre previous install will be safely wiped and the new XP installed ok. I'd guess yes quite confidently. Pretty sure it won't reinstall Media Centre though - just plain XP.

silvero
21-08-2006, 04:06 PM
The previous install is only wiped if the partition is wiped, otherwise it will create another install on the same partition - it won't remove the old one. You can wipe everything during the install by deleting and re-creating the system partition.

prollematic
24-08-2006, 10:01 AM
So, since I dont have a windows xp media center disk i can reformat my hard drive?

silvero
24-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Yes, but as previously mentioned, unless you use a manufacturer's image to reinstall the OS, you'll need all the hardware drivers and an install disk. If the install disk is XP Pro, you'll of course be installing XP Pro not Media Center and you'll need a valid license for it.

If you are up for all that the go ahead and wipe your hard drive. All you need to do is boot from your Windows disk, and during the first part of the setup, when it asks you which partition to install Windows to, delete any partitions that are there, and then make a new one. After the new partition has been created, install Windows to it - nothing will remain from before.

Have you had a look re the manufacturer image? If you aren't sure what I am talking about post the make/model number and I'll check for you.

prollematic
03-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Soooo, I was going to partition the one labed "C:" but i didnt because it said something about losing everything like system diagnostics. And now when i try to play music it says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." So, should i go ahead and partition C: or no?

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Well not unless u have something like Partitionmagic. Otherwise, you may as well format the hdd.

Clearing the hard drive wont free the memory. They have nothing in common.

If u want to free memory either uninstall / remove programs or dont run too many programs when the system boots. Or get more ram.

Or get ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com)

If the sound isnt working the driver may need reinstalling or the soundcard maybe dead.

prollematic
03-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Alright thanks for clearing that up for me. But i have another question. I think im just going replace my Windows XP Media Center with Windows XP, so how do would i do that?

FoxyMX
03-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Alright thanks for clearing that up for me. But i have another question. I think im just going replace my Windows XP Media Center with Windows XP, so how do would i do that?

Just put the Win XP CD in the CD drive and boot from it. When it tells you to press any key do so and follow the instructions.

Before you do this it would pay to make sure you understand what Silvero has said several times in this thread regarding licence keys. If you install Win XP instead of Win Media you will not be able to use your current Win Media licence key to continue with the installation and will be left high and dry with an unusable computer unless you have a valid, legal Win XP licence to enter during the install.

Don't say you haven't been warned.

drcspy
03-09-2006, 06:45 PM
If u want to free memory either uninstall / remove programs or dont run too many programs when the system boots. Or get more ram

YES that is correct but I feel from the original posters comments that they aare confused about the correct terminology and think 'memory' is actually the storage space available on the machine.....of course memory and storage capacity are two totally different things.........

prollematic
04-09-2006, 03:05 PM
When i turn on my computer it now tells me to choose an operating system. Both of them are Windows XP Professional, how do i make it just choose one like it used to do?