PDA

View Full Version : New PC problem

haybailz17
20-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I just built a new PC and I am having a problem booting it up to install the mobo drivers.I hooked everything up and I am getting a Drive A Error, it's telling me to check cables. I only have one Cd drive and one SATA HDD. Would the cd drive be drive A?
I don't have a floppy drive, and I have no idea what my 'A' drive is, it keeps telling me to insert the boot disk, I insert the mobo's driver setup disk and it says error on drive A, I have never heard of a drive 'A'.I turn on the PC, it starts to boot, says error on drive A, press F1 to continue, I press F1, it tells me to insert boot disk, I insert boot disk, it says to enter it again.

Jen
20-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Go into the BIOS and make sure the floppy drive is set to "disabled". Then go and change the boot order so that it goes CD first and then hard drive. Save the changes and exit out. See if this helps.

Are you trying to install the SATA driver before installing the OS?

And, Welcome to PressF1 :)

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2006, 12:17 PM
A is a floppy disk drive.

Go into the BIOS and change the bootdisk to the hard drive. If you've installed Windows. or if you havent installed Windows, change the bootdisk to the CD.

You need to change the bootdisk to the CD, so u can install Windows.

If Windows hasnt been installed. Or if you're doing the above, you need a floppy, so it installs the SATA drivers off it to the hdd. Altho, not all SATA hdd's need drivers for them to work.

haybailz17
20-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Dumb question: How do I get to the BIOS, it never says "Press DEL to enter setup." I have not install anything yet, the mobo disk, the video card disk, nothing, and my sata hdd did not come with a disk.

Jen
20-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Have a read of your motherboard manual, it will tell you how to get into the BIOS. Often the message to push what key to enter the BIOS can flash by fast, so you do have to be quick to see it.

Just spotted what you added to your last post. If you do not have to install the SATA drivers separately, then you just need to insert the XP installation disk and install Windows. Once Windows is installed, then you install the motherboard, video, audio etc drivers.

haybailz17
20-08-2006, 12:29 PM
The manual says to press DEL to setup, but it never says it on the screen, I have tried it 10 times, I even tried pressing DEL the whole time it booted up, but all that happened was it says to press any key to continue after it says that it cannot read drive 'A', and it takes that DEL key as the "any key" lol.

P.S. I am at work right now and am going to lunch until around 7:15, so don't think I'm ignoring you please!! I appreciate the help from everybody, but I am hungry....

haybailz17
20-08-2006, 01:20 PM
I'll try installing Windows tonight and see what happens, I appreciate the help!

Jen
21-08-2006, 09:08 PM
How did you get on?

gum digger
21-08-2006, 09:34 PM
omg hw did u manage to build pc if u duno hw to get into bios.

dont mean to sound rude*

Shortcircuit
21-08-2006, 10:24 PM
Have you tried booting up with a normal keyboard and NOT a usb one? I had a motherboard that would not recognise a usb keyboard when booting to bios.... so when you hit the del key nothing happened.

If you've got a normal keyboard, or can borrow one, when the computer boots you can keep tapping the del key until it shows the bios message even if you miss seeing the 'press delete to enter bios' message. As Jen said- it can flash by quickly.

haybailz17
23-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I've been doing this for years, it's just this PC was giving me problems getting into the BIOS, I finally got to it by taking out the CMOS battery for a few minutes and loosening the screws on the MOBO, now I have Windows XP Pro 64 bit installed, everything's going fine but one thing...
Hmmm...now when I go to open up volume control, it says there is no audio mixer and does not open, I'm guessing my PC is not reading the built in audio? Under the hardware manager, there ae no audio cards either. I think I'm just gonna pull all my hair out, will that help things? lol

haybailz17
23-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Hello? Somebody? Anybody? lol

SolMiester
23-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi, I note you are running 64bit XP, did you install mobo chipset drivers once the O/S was loaded. Sometimes after chipset drivers installed, the on-board components are easier identified by the O/S. Make sure to get the correct O/S drivers for the on-board audio.

haybailz17
23-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Will try that as soon as I get off work, I do have the 64 bit mobo drivers installed, but the pc is not recognizing the onboard audio, I guess I will look for a driver for the onboard audio for 64 bit windows, it took forever to find 64 bit drivers for the mobo.

pctek
23-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I've been doing this for years, it's just this PC was giving me problems
:stare: