PDA

View Full Version : Setting up QuickCam & AOL-? firewall blocking?

R.M.
19-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi all - my son gave me a QuickCam Fusion web camera for my recent birthday, with the idea that we will talk with pics on line! He has suggested that I use AOL to do this with. I have a PC, OS Windows XP with Serice Pack 2 installed (he has a Mac).

So far so good, I installed the software with the camera, and joined up with AOL. With our first trial just a while ago, it all looked good, but connection failed (I wonder if my firewall might be the problem?).

I have the free version of ZoneAlarm (Window firewall is turned off) and feel there are limitations on how configueable it is. The suggestion with AOL for the Window firewall is that "TCP 2869 and UDP 1900 ports are checked and listed under 'Scope'".

I'm not sure how to do this with ZoneAlarm, or whether there may be another problem :(

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated! :)

TIA
R.M.

R.M.
20-08-2006, 06:26 PM
"Bump" - no clues anyone?? :)

R.M.
19-09-2006, 06:20 PM
I tried ZoneAlarm Pro - but no better. I'm not sure where to go next for suggestions.

I asked my computer-savy son at the weekend, but he didn't know either. Someone must have successfully set up a web camera...

Thanks again, in hopeful anticipation.:help:

Cheers
R.M.

stu161204
19-09-2006, 06:31 PM
AOL Wont work here in NZ as AOL Does not support NZ.

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2006, 06:33 PM
I've set up a cam before, but not with AOL

Even tho XP's firewall maybe off, you may still have to add ports to it, (with some programs), so it works properly.

R.M.
19-09-2006, 07:07 PM
The alternative program my Sydney son gave me was "Sight Speed". Is that any use here?

:badpc:

R.M.
19-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Speedy - what program did you use, and what ports did you add?

Thanks for your reply!

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Yahoo or MSN Messenger. Well Yahoo more.

I think MSN is like Windows Messenger. You have to add someone before the cam comes on/up. (I didnt have it installed long enough, to find out)!

At least with Yahoo, you can configure and bring the cam up without adding anyone to your list.

To see what the pic is like. Only thing with Yahoo, is there's the annoying bots!

R.M.
19-09-2006, 07:37 PM
MSN Messenger sounds a likely option. I don't like the idea of the annoying bots....

Thanks - I'll give it ago (may not be tonight - I've got a few things on the go!).

Cheers
R.M.