PDA

View Full Version : Format/Partition % multiboot.

Ron40
19-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Hi all, I had a win98 disc given to me and i would like to install win98 1st, win pro second and XP last.
I know how to install wink & XP, but i have never had any experience with Win98.
I intend to format the hardrive and have 3 partitions, i have no idea how to format using a floppy, could i use the my XP disc to format and partition ready for installation ?
I wasn't given any other [floppy] installation discs, just the 98 disc itself, can i still install it ? or have to buy some installation floppies to be able to do it?
appreciate any help,
Thanks

Sherman
19-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi ron40.
You can probably use your win xp disc, although Im not sure how to go about it - others can probably assist you there.
You may find it easier to find a third party partition manager (such as pertition magic or equivelent) to do the job, as they will allow far more flexibility than the windows xp partition manager can offer.
Also, windows 98 cannot be installed onto an NTFS partition, it can also not read anything on one either, therefore, the partition that you plan to install 98 on needs to be formatted with FAT32. For the most painless install, you should change the partition to be the active partition (this makes it C: drive).

As for needing installation disks, as long as you can set your bios to boot from the CD drive, win98 will boot and setup straight from the Cd.

Good luck!

Ron40
19-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks Sherman,
I have just downloaded partlogic, so that should do the job.
No worries i can easily change BIOS setttings to boot from cd, thanks for your reply, its very much appreciated.
many thanks

Sherman
19-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Glad to be of help

by the way, I forgot to tell you, you DO know that the origional windows 98 can be rather unstable don't you? (I speak from experience here). I your lucky, your comp setup and 98 will happily work together, if your not lucky, be prepared to be seeing a number of BOD's.
98SE is much more stable.

Ron40
19-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your warning, i didn't know, i'll see if i can pick up an upgrade to 98 SE.

FoxyMX
20-08-2006, 10:33 AM
There are a number of FAQs on FAQF1 (http://faqf1.net.nz/index.php?title=List) that may be of some help under the "Basic computer maintenance" and "Windows" sections, eg

Reformatting a hard drive
Reinstalling Windows 98SE

Partitioning with FDISK
Multiple partitions on a hard drive
Multi-booting a Windows System