PDA

View Full Version : Windows xp home OS cd can be passed on once installed?

lightfoot
19-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Greetings. I have bought a second hand computer that comes with XP home OS cd. It was used once to install on the computer. Can the XP cd be passed on to another user or the activation prevents this. Thanks.

Big John
19-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Greetings. I have bought a second hand computer that comes with XP home OS cd. It was used once to install on the computer. Can the XP cd be passed on to another user or the activation prevents this. Thanks.

Unless it is a corporate version (which you pay heaps for) then the answer is no. If you brought a new OS and no longer are going to use the same one on your PC and it is not an OEM version (ie was purchased as a full version) then you could pass on the original CD along with the all the stuff. The activation will work again after a certain time has passed.

The_End_Of_Reality
19-08-2006, 11:48 AM
If you are meaning installing XP on multiple machines (are you?) then you can use the same CD, that is not problem (if you have lost/damaged etc the other CD), as long as you have a legit CD key.

lightfoot
19-08-2006, 12:03 PM
It is an OEM with legit product key. Does this mean it can't be passed on?

Greven
19-08-2006, 12:27 PM
The OEM key can only be legaly used on the computer that it came with. You can pass on the CD if you want, but whoever you pass it onto will need a new key.

Or you could lie to Microsoft (say you have made some major hardware changes rather than telling them you are moving the key to a new computer) and they will activate your key on the new computer.

The_End_Of_Reality
19-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I should have clarifyed myself above :rolleyes: aslong you have the CD key that came with the PC (legit) and you have another CD key from say another XP CD, but the CD is lost or too damaged, you can use the CD you have from the 2nd hand PC but use the CD key from the other CD (also legit). I think that is a little better, not by much though...

lightfoot
19-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Is this right that is the xp is activated several times, Microsoft requires a new XP to be purchased? Because I am told that this OEM XP was recently brought brand new because the original XP home cd after several reinstallations due to virus infection, the seller had to buy and another one. That sounds unfair if you got a legit copy and after several reinstallation, MS requires you got to buy a new one. Could it be that he lost the activation key several times and MS thinks it is not legit copy? If so how do we know how many time this XP has been activated?

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Is this right that is the xp is activated several times, Microsoft requires a new XP to be purchased?

No, you only need another version of XP if its for another system, not for the same system it was installed on, in the first place.

Because I am told that this OEM XP was recently brought brand new because the original XP home cd after several reinstallations due to virus infection, the seller had to buy and another one.

Did they do a clean install? They didnt have to buy another version.

That sounds unfair if you got a legit copy and after several reinstallation, MS requires you got to buy a new one. Could it be that he lost the activation key several times and MS thinks it is not legit copy?

I doubt this is the case. Depends if u mean reinstalling on the same system, which shouldnt be a prob. Its when u try and activate it on another system, after its already been activated on yours. Installing it on another system, after you've installed it, would be ok, but then if u dont activate on the new system it'll lock u out after 30 days.

If so how do we know how many time this XP has been activated?

Well u dont. But it may tell u after u do it so many times. You'll have to ring MS to fix it.

lightfoot
20-08-2006, 03:23 AM
XP has been installed in my pc as I have bought the computer, can the XP cd be passed on to another as I don't want to use this XP cd again?

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2006, 07:27 AM
XP has been installed in my pc as I have bought the computer, can the XP cd be passed on to another as I don't want to use this XP cd again?

No you cant. As the previous posts say.

You can give it to a mate or whoever, but whether they can activate it after they install it, is another matter. If someone else doesnt / cant activate it, it'll lock them out of XP after 30 days.

FoxyMX
20-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Yes, of course you can pass on the CD to another. But you can't pass on the licence key. That has to stay with the original computer that the licence came with so if you use the CD to install Windows on another computer you will not be able to activate it using the previous computer's licence number.

Why don't you read the EULA? That will tell you what you can/can't do.

Jen
20-08-2006, 10:36 AM
... can the XP cd be passed on to another as I don't want to use this XP cd again?Don't forget you will not be able to reinstall or repair the OS if you do not have the installation CD.

SurferJoe46
20-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Don't forget you will not be able to reinstall or repair the OS if you do not have the installation CD.

I don't pretend to know the NZ laws, but here you can make one (1) archival copy of most anything you OWN in case you ruin or in another way make unusable your original.

That is the case for the CD-ROM disc ONLY!

The actual permission to use the CD with XP on it is a one-time thing....on the system of devices that you either bought as a unit or installed XP on as a complete system.

One can therefor, actually pass on a copy to a friend to use to repair or install the whole thing...if they have their own key!

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I also believe that both PRO and HOME exist on the same disc...they just toggle off or on a few different files and utilities..that's all....and the choice is in the numerical factors in the key algorithm.

Greven
20-08-2006, 11:21 AM
If you haven't booted into windows on the computer yet, the lisence key might never have been activated & whoever you give it to should have no trouble activating it.

It will still be illegal though.