PDA

View Full Version : Watching dvd on my computer lag

jevon
19-08-2006, 04:13 AM
I have computer about 1 year old...
Ive tryd installing real player,windows media player,Intervideo Windvd7..
And every time i try to watch a dvd movie on the computer it always laggs alot...
the picture laggs anf also the audio laggs...
im not sure if im using the right software for my HP computer or is it my video card...

Any help would be lovely..

Jevon....

pcuser42
19-08-2006, 09:35 AM
We need some more details, operating system (eg Windows 98, XP etc.), how much RAM, and gigahertz.

Jen
19-08-2006, 10:10 AM
If the computer is a year old, I am guessing you use XP.

Check to make sure the DVD drive is using DMA mode. Have a look at this MS article for explanations and instructions on this: DMA Mode for ATA/ATAPI Devices in Windows XP (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx).

Welcome to PressF1 as well. :)

Robby
19-08-2006, 10:11 AM
gidday,

you may have too many programs running, for the computer to accomadate dvd as well. try tempararily turning off a few programs before playing.

turn off screensaver, disable antivirus system, etc, check the icons in your system tray there may be programs you can turn off.

cheers,

Robby

jevon
19-08-2006, 02:24 PM
thankyou for the welcome jen.

DMA Mode for ATA/ATAPI Devices in Windows XP.

i have done as this said,but still the sam prob..

We need some more details, operating system (eg Windows 98, XP etc.), how much RAM, and gigahertz

Microsoft xp Version 2002 service pack 2
AMD sempron Processor 3200plus
1.79 ghz,256 mb of ram

any other ideas ?

gibler
19-08-2006, 04:05 PM
Have you

1) Tried PowerDVD or VideoLAN Client? WinDVD could never get the audio in sync for me.

2) Disable the use of Hardware Accleration (of your graphics card) in your DVD playing software.

3) Update motherboard drivers.

4) That isn't very much RAM you have there......stuttering could be a sign of running out of memory and having to use swap space.

stu161204
19-08-2006, 04:57 PM
I agree with gibler here, 256 mb of ram is not that much & could be the cause of your problem.

tweak'e
19-08-2006, 05:02 PM
ram should be heaps, unless of course you have mulitable infections running which isn't uncoman, so give the pc the usual antivirus and antispyware scan.

how id the DVD drive connected? IDE? what IDE port? is it slaved to the hardrive?

what video card and sound card are you useing? (if onboard what motherboard?)

jevon
22-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Update.

So far i have downloaded cyberlink dvd player.
The picture does not lagg but the sound is lagging..

Any info on lagging dvd players would be of much help...

Jevon.

P.s kind regards to everyone that has posted

Term_X
22-08-2006, 12:51 AM
heyas

Try installing ffdshow video/audio filter from

here (http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm)

Install, and then reboot and then try playing dvds and whether the video/audio sync improves..

From the system specs you provided, your system should play dvds easily, providing there are no viruses . spyware etc :-)

Have a go!

Cheers

Term X

Sweep
22-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Update.

So far i have downloaded cyberlink dvd player.
The picture does not lagg but the sound is lagging..

Any info on lagging dvd players would be of much help...

Jevon.

P.s kind regards to everyone that has posted

256 Meg RAM may not be enough in my opinion. Also what video card are you using? Also what sound card have you got? Is this on board sound and video in which case you will definitely need more RAM. While I am here you may want to tell us which motherboard you have. Your 3200+ is more than capable but it may be also lack of hard drive space as well.

Sorry to ask all these questions but I think it is the only way to solve the issue you have.

Renmoo
22-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Have you done what tweake has recommended you to do?

so give the pc the usual antivirus and antispyware scan.

Cheers :)

jevon
22-08-2006, 01:33 AM
thankyou everyone..

i have over come this issue...
what i did was unistalled the drives then rebot the system
when i restarted the pc it re-installed the drivers n software...
so as of now it works fine...

just to note: i did try what everone said so thanks guys...

jevon...