PDA

View Full Version : Audio gone on holiday, didn't apply for leave.

pine-o-cleen
18-08-2006, 08:03 PM
My audio has dissapeared!

I'm running a Gigabyte 7VM400AM-RZ, using (trying to) the on-board sound. I've had issues with the sound before, in that it wont work after hibernating. Seems to work though if I run the config software that came with it, but this isn't working anymore.

Help?

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2006, 08:15 PM
See if one of these updates fix it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=8c2e44a5-6a28-4888-93a7-6a6c6a87be7f&DisplayLang=en

Or

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;amp;amp;displaylang=en&familyid=9D20F96A-A8D6-4627-89F7-787CD9B3852C&displaylang=en

pine-o-cleen
18-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Thanks for your reply. Downloaded, installed and restarted; no change.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2006, 09:15 PM
And did u install all drivers inc the mobo drivers?

pine-o-cleen
18-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Yes.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2006, 10:03 PM
Try updating the driver (http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductID=1849&ProductName=7VM400AM-RZ)

pine-o-cleen
19-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks, that worked.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Cool! Good to hear its working now :thumbs:

pine-o-cleen
19-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Well it's not working again...

Don't quite know what's happening, works sometimes, not others. :S

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2006, 08:35 PM
You havent got teatimer running on startup have u?? Its part of Spybot. Disable it.

It maybe stopping it from running, if theres something for the souncard / sound running when u boot windows.

pine-o-cleen
19-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Not sure, how would I tell?

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Is Spybot S&D installed? It'll be in its options somewhere if it is installed.

Or use ccleaner and run it. Go to the tools/startup tab. See if teatimer is in there remove the entry if its there.

pine-o-cleen
20-08-2006, 01:44 PM
I had spybot installed, I un-installed it and restarted, still no luck. Thanks for all your help though, much appreciated. If you feel inclined to continue helping I wouldn't be offended :D

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Errr have u got any programs installed that block things from getting added to the registry / startup at all??

Did the drivers u installed install something / a command/s in startup?? So it boots something for the drivers everytime u reboot / boot?

Other than that the mobo maybe stuffed. Get an ASUS :badpc:

pine-o-cleen
20-08-2006, 02:07 PM
No, it doesn't seem to have anything in startup.

It does seem to need the 'vinyl deck' software that came with it, running to work though.

It's very weird, I was using Google Talk to do a voice convo, then when that finished, I started up Day of Defeat : Source and no sound! Ever since then, I have had no sound.

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Umm you haven't got something like a voicemodem installed as well have u ??

Or some other audio device??

Since a voicemodem also uses audio, this can also take over as the default sound device. And if its set to this, it will kill the sound that normally comes from the soundcard

Until u change the default device to the soundcard.

pine-o-cleen
20-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I've just taken out a 56k voice modem. Could this be the problem?

Also, I just had a look and on the motherboard and I had the microphone pins round the wrong way, ie/ the ground where the line in should be, I swapped them over to how it should be. Could this have caused damage?

pine-o-cleen
20-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Here's my device manager (audio expanded). Thought this might help.

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/audio.jpg

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I've just taken out a 56k voice modem. Could this be the problem?

Possible it could have set itself as the default sound device. and if it did, normal sound wouldnt work till u changed the default device back to the soundcard. Thru control panel / sounds and audio devices / audio tab, the top 2 options here, should be set to the soundcard.

It may have been set to something like modem # line 1 playback ( or similar) which is for the voicemodem. And modem #1 line record under the sound recording here. And if it was set to this, the normal sound wouldnt work.

Also, I just had a look and on the motherboard and I had the microphone pins round the wrong way, ie/ the ground where the line in should be, I swapped them over to how it should be. Could this have caused damage?

Only way is to find out, if its connected to the front of your case.

And a mic is plugged into the front socket, speak it into using sound recorder, and see if it records. If it works, there's no damage.

Hmm, looks like something is conflicting with your firewire.

It could be this. See if deleting the 1394 entry and rebooting fixes the firewire.

So you have a tv tuner installed as well?

Did u install this, or is it part of the mobo?

pine-o-cleen
20-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Sound playback, default device is:

'Vinyl AC'97 Audio (WAVE)'

Same for recording. The mic works.

pine-o-cleen
20-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Will try firewire fix now.

No TV tuner, my video card has video capture.

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2006, 03:10 PM
The audio under device manager looks fine to me.

See what the playback and recording is on now, under the sound tab in my previous post. Is the sound working now?

If it isnt it could be the conflict thats stuffing the sound up.

And make sure the audio volume is up so u can hear it.

pine-o-cleen
20-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Conflict (yellow!) has dissapeared.

No playback or recording. I'm starting to think your 'the motherboard is stuffed' assumption, might just be right. Oh and volume is waaaaay up.

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2006, 03:28 PM
You did install the chipset (4in1) drivers didnt u ??

Go thru device manager and see if there are any ?'s anywhere. If there is, whats it say?

Try reinstalling the audio driivers u downloaded the other day again.

Reboot.

Then go back to the sound tab see if it shows the soundcard (click on the arrow) on the right. If it gives u the option to select it, select it.

The sound is enabled in the BIOS isnt it?

pine-o-cleen
20-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Ok, this is weird.

I re-installed the audio drivers, and the sound worked! I restarted, and no sound again, so I did another re-install and it works again :waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Disable firewalls and/or AV programs and install the drivers again.

Then reboot. See if the sound stays put.

If it doesnt work when u reboot, see if u can install the drivers in safe mode.

Then see if it works after rebooting.

What other programs are running when u reboot?

Wonder if its something on startup thats stuffing / conflicting / stopping the soundcard drivers / program from working??

If it still doesnt work u may have to put the config program whatever it is u haveta run to make it work / add it to the startup menu.