PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP REQUIRED!!!!

systm
18-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Ok heres the deal.

I booted up my computer (winxp) and it arrived at the screen that says 'Windows must check your disk for consistency....'. I came in the room and saw this screen and immediately turned it off, as I had this screen come up a few years ago and it not only checked the disk but deleted 'indexes' (files?) as well, so when it inventually booted to Windows I found it had deleted about 5GB worth of data. Both times this has happened on hard drives I have just purchased and moved all my data onto from exsisting drives. Now to the crux of the matter....

Just before I noticed this screen and turned my computer off it had began deleting stuff. When I turned it back on I skipped this drive checking stage and booted to Windows. I went into the drive and it shows the files are there but when I click to open them it comes up with the message 'H:/file name is not accessable - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error'

I hope someone can help me, I dont want to lose 80GB worth of ver important data.

Shortcircuit
18-08-2006, 04:37 PM
What do you mean "just before I switched off my computer it had begun deleting stuff"?... was this after you got the 'windows must check...' message?

Can you start up in safe mode and save the most important files? (80gigs is a heck of a lot to try and save though!)

systm
18-08-2006, 04:52 PM
What I mean is by the time I came back in the room and saw that screen there were about 4 messages saying 2 or so indexes had beed deleted (or fixed i cant remember) and then another few messages saying 'deleting <file name>'

kjaada
18-08-2006, 04:55 PM
This does not seem right.
Windows will check and give results not start deleting things.
And it will check for inconsistancies if it is not shut down correctly.I think,
"I came in the room and immediatly turned it off" may be the major problem.
I will be very interested in the result (and cause) of this one.

pctek
18-08-2006, 06:03 PM
I would say it found problems with the file structure and was attempting to fix it when you cancelled it and made things worse.

Reboot and LET it fix it. Windows doesn't go randomly deleting your data, it cleans up any stuffups.

It could just be software or it could be a sign of the drive failing.
Let it fix it and then for peace of mind download a HDD checker from your HDD manufacturers website and run it, that will tell you if the drive has a problem.

systm
19-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Hmmm sorry to say guys but I have personelly witnessed (6 times now) Windows delete files from a hard drive when it comes to that screen. And not just on my computer. Yes, many times I have seen it just check the integrity of the drive but I have also seen it do bad things like deleting the entire contents from hard drives and thats why I quickly switched it off.

Anyway there was a happy solution to this problem. I installed Easy Recovery Professional 6 and recovered most of the data from my reformatted drive that the information was originally from before I copied it to the drive that had issues.

Thanks for your comments though, much appreciated.

gibler
19-08-2006, 01:46 AM
Hmmm sorry to say guys but I have personelly witnessed (6 times now) Windows delete files from a hard drive when it comes to that screen. And not just on my computer. Yes, many times I have seen it just check the integrity of the drive but I have also seen it do bad things like deleting the entire contents from hard drives and thats why I quickly switched it off.

Anyway there was a happy solution to this problem. I installed Easy Recovery Professional 6 and recovered most of the data from my reformatted drive that the information was originally from before I copied it to the drive that had issues.

Thanks for your comments though, much appreciated.

Is that a FAT or NTFS volume?

systm
19-08-2006, 05:32 AM
NTFS

Mr Wetzyl
19-08-2006, 07:01 AM
Have you try running the chkdsk.exe? open up your command prompt (choose run and type cmd) and enter chkdsk.exe...it will check it in read only mode and then you need to reboot your pc and let it run again after it reboots....hopes that may help in recovering some missing files or you can use hijack this (http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/)

kjaada
19-08-2006, 07:50 AM
I would be interested to hear some comments on the possability of the problem regarding getting things wiped as in the original post.It seems very strange for XP to do this.

drcspy
19-08-2006, 07:53 AM
yes when running chkdisk /r from the 'command prompt' one gets after booting to recovery console from xp cd I've seen xp delete stuff......ah...from memory I *think* it was deleteing crosslinked files, (could be wrong but it sure deleted something)...

pctek
19-08-2006, 09:43 AM
I would be interested to hear some comments on the possability of the problem regarding getting things wiped as in the original post.It seems very strange for XP to do this.
If its deleted anything thats because it was corrupted in some way in the first place. It does not just wipe perfectly good chunks of data just for fun. Windows is bad but not that bad.

Rule 1: BACKUP

CorbinH
19-08-2006, 09:52 AM
So you copied an entire hard drive onto that one with out reinstalling windows or anything? Thats probably what it didnt like... I didnt read every post though so I might be wrong...

recoveryguru
22-08-2006, 01:10 AM
[edit: spam removed]