PDA

View Full Version : SLI

JJJJJ
18-08-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm thinking of adding a second graphics card.
My m/board supports SLI.
My current card is a Leadtech 7900 GT.

What do I have to do to get it working.
I know I have to activate SLI in bios, but do the two cards have to be joined up or what?

SolMiester
18-08-2006, 04:42 PM
The 2nd card you purchase should come with the SLI bridge and I believe the latest drivers allow for SLI enabling so you dont have to do it in the BIOS.

Why do you need SLI, does you monitor support 1600x1200?

Sweep
18-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm thinking of adding a second graphics card.
My m/board supports SLI.
My current card is a Leadtech 7900 GT.

What do I have to do to get it working.
I know I have to activate SLI in bios, but do the two cards have to be joined up or what?

I am not sure about which motherboard you have.
If you have a leadtek 7900 as I do then you should only have to plug in the power on the second card from the PSU. The two cards do not need to be joined as such. You should have two slots on the motherboard and you currently have one SLI card.

Has your power supply got a second lead?

JJJJJ
18-08-2006, 04:59 PM
M/B is an ASUS A8N-SLI.

I run my monotor at 1280 x 1040. and I want the extra memory as much as anything.

lagbort
18-08-2006, 05:10 PM
ok seeing as how I have just recently built an SLI rig I should step in here.

The way SLI works (especially in the more efficient alternate frame rendering mode) means that you do not get double the video memory, ie if you have 2 256mb 7900gt's you do not get a total of 512mb of video RAM as each card is doing its own thing and has to store all the data for the frame it is working on in its own buffer.

You do not strictly need the SLI bridge (which incidentally should come with your motherboard, check through the box) however there is a slight performance gain from using it.

I believe your motherboard uses a set of jumpers on the board itself to switch into SLI mode, so flip those and then enable it in the drivers and you are away laughing.

One thing with SLI is that each game you use has to have a profile (unless you run it under the global profile, but that can cause instability issues), so that can take some time to set up for each game.
Dont be put off if your monitor does not support 1600x1200, my monitor only runs 1280x1024, this can actually be an advantage as you can see the true advantage of SLI when you are playing games such as fear with everything on max including 4xaa and 16xaf, and everything is running at around 80-100fps

And finally SLI does not work with FS2004 at all, and currently I dont believe works with the flight sim X demo either

Metla
18-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Just the most important point, before Jack gets out the CC....though if past efforts are an indicatin he has made the purchase 3 seconds after creating the thread.

And finally SLI does not work with FS2004 at all, and currently I dont believe works with the flight sim X demo either

Jester
18-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Metla :thumbs:

Trev
18-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Just the most important point, before Jack gets out the CC....though if past efforts are an indicatin he has made the purchase 3 seconds after creating the thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trevor :lol:

JJJJJ
18-08-2006, 08:21 PM
OK Metla. I get hte message loud and clear.

Thank you lagbort. The info will come in handy.

Guess I;ll have to investigate who makes a high class video card with 512 or more ram.

Pete O'Neil
20-08-2006, 02:34 PM
OK Metla. I get hte message loud and clear.

Thank you lagbort. The info will come in handy.

Guess I;ll have to investigate who makes a high class video card with 512 or more ram.
Ummm... having more video ram isnt necessarily going to give you better performance.