PDA

View Full Version : Installed new ink cartridge on printer and light still on...

Sanco
17-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi again people ;)

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R210 printer which worked fine, until today that is, when I changed the magenta ink cartridge and the ink monitor light would not switch off and the printer would not print. I have tried to turn the printer off, unplug it from the wall etc. but light was still on. I thought it might have been the refilled cartridge's chip not being reset properly, so I went to cartridge world (where I got the cartridges ) and duly got the replacement cartridge, went back home, installed the new cartridge but still the same problem; the ink monitor light on the printer would not go away with the result of me not being able to use the printer at all.
What can cause this annoying problem? Is it something that I can try to fix or do I need to take the printer to be serviced?
Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Did u remove the tape, if the tape was on the contacts of the cartridge?

And are these refillable cartridges you're talking about? Or new ones?

gibler
17-08-2006, 09:53 PM
try this util (http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml)

SurferJoe46
18-08-2006, 03:55 AM
My Epson Stylus Photo R210 stopped the same way....called Epson and they sent me a new......even newer printer!

Seems to be a hardware problem...they never asked a lot of questions...just asked for a mailing address after I told them the symptoms....they didn't even want the old one back!

Myth
18-08-2006, 03:56 AM
Maybe another colour requires filling as well?
What does the indicator show (any others empty or very low?)

Sanco
18-08-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks all for your replies.

All the other cartridges are either full or just half way down and I usually get my original epson cartridges refilled at cartridge world and never encountered a problem before. As I have mentioned on my previous post I have replaced the magenta cartridge with another one from cartridge world, a new one this time, but to no avail. Hi Speedy, the cartridges for my printer come vacuum sealed no film on the chips. :)

SurferJoe, that is a good outcome! Could you tell me what number you rang for this transaction with epson? I'd appreciate that. Was your printer still under warranty when it happened? I believe mine is just a couple of months out of warranty...Murphy' law :groan:

Sanco
18-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Oh, and Taz, almost forgot about you :) The Epson Status Manager on the R210 tells you exactly which cartridge wants repaced, very smart if you ask me, but not smart enough to realise is stuffed up and cannot read a new one...

pctek
18-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Seems to be a hardware problem...they never asked a lot of questions...just asked for a mailing address after I told them the symptoms....they didn't even want the old one back!
Of course they didn't. They don't fix printers anymore - they're all disposable.

Billy T
18-08-2006, 06:58 PM
SurferJoe, that is a good outcome! Could you tell me what number you rang for this transaction with epson? I'd appreciate that.
SJ lives in the US of A, so that number wouldn't be much use to you.

Was your printer still under warranty when it happened? I believe mine is just a couple of months out of warranty...Murphy' law :groan:
Your guarantee rights do not expire just because the manufacturer thinks they should. Under the CGA you are entitled to reasonable life expectancy, howevert those rights may fly out the window if you go against the manufacturer's express conditions of use and use aftermarket cartridges or refills, and rightly so.

Go buy a genuine Epson cartridge, and if it still doesn't work, go back to the retailer for a replacement printer (and a refund of your cartridge cost if they won't let you remove it). Provided you don't talk about refills or "Cartridge World" (unless they also sell genuine Epson cartridges) it's an argument you simply can't lose unless you try really hard to lose it by being abusive, or simply give up when they say no.

Google on NZ sites only for the details, or go to the Supercheap thread and look at the links I provided.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Sanco
18-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Cartridge world also sells original cartridges Billy, and that is what I always used. I just buy from the cheapest dealer on the day.

I have rang Epson today on the 0800 number provided on their NZ homepage, they do not want to know anything about it - the guy at the other end stated that he never heard of such a fault - but he gave me the name and phone number of the local service people, I rang them and once again they confirmed to me that being out of warranty epson would not take up the bill of the repairs, therefore I am on my own. At this point in time I am considering my options, one of which includes me buying a new printer since the costs of the repairs start from a base of $40.00 - and that is only for exploratory diagnosis.
Do you suggest I do some exploration of my own with the CGA, and how do I go about that?

I feel that epson NZ should at least consider a part of my claim since I did not have the machine for a long lenght of time and the use I made of it was fairly reasonable.

Thank you Billy.

Trev
19-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Hey sanco you are covered by the CGAClick Here (http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp?category=Legal%20Rights&docid=918&subcategory=Beginners%20guides&topic=Consumer%20Guarantees%20Act)
Trevor :)

Sanco
19-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi Trevor, how are you my friend.

I have had a read through the CGA from your link but I failed to see any mention of having to honour a guarantee once it's expired or that the goods purchased must have a reasonable life expectancy. A statement that would be very open ended anyhow I guess, and that would leave the manufacturer and the retailer in a position of strenght anyway for they can say that 15 months is reasonable life expectancy... :(
I guess my best otpion would be replacing it and purchase the extended warranty with the new one. :o

Billy T
19-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Do you suggest I do some exploration of my own with the CGA, and how do I go about that?
OK.

1) Exactly how long have you had it?

2) Where did you buy it?

3) I assume it is for personal use, not business.

4) Read the links I posted in the Supercheap PC thread or look at the Consumer Affairs w.ebsite and Consumer magazine's site for your rights and advice. (We need an FAQ on warranty claims I think, I'll look into that.)

A reasonable life expectancy for an inkjet printer under domestic use would be 3-5 years. When bought from a retail outlet, and it fails prematurely, the retailer must repair or replace it. Epson's policies are irrelevant, that's the seller's problem, not yours.

Take it back to the retailer, tell them that failure after XX months is not reasonable life expectancy and ask them what they can do for you. Don'r roar in shouting the odds and telling them they have to replace it or quoting the CGA. Very often you find that the response is very helpful and you'll feel a right dick if you have gone over the top with your initial enquiry.

If they want to keep it to inspect (promising) ask how long, a reasonable time for inspection would be 5 working days or less. Any longer, ask for a loan printer. You probably won't get one but you never know.

If cooperation runs out or doesn't even start, tell them (quietly) that the Consumer Guarantees Act overrides all manufacturer and/or importer guarantees as well as retailer policies, and that they must repair or replace the faulty item if it does not provide reasonable life under normal use. At 3 to 6 months out of warranty, it should be repaired or replaced at no charge. After 25% of normal life expectancy you could expect to pay a small charge for wear and tear factor but in my opinion that should not be more than 25% of the cost of replacing it.

If the person you are dealing with does not have the discretionary power to help you, move up the supervisory/management chain. Introduce yourself by name and always ask the name of the person you are dealing with and address them by name, e.g. Mr X, Mrs X or Ms X unless they just give you their christian name. This personalises the relationship and makes it harder for them to say no.

Unless dealing with a private company and talking to the owner, don't give up just because the branch manager says the buck stops with him or her and their decision is final. Look the company up in the phonebook and carry on up the tree.

As I am so fond of saying here, I have lost count of the items I have had replaced or repaired when out of warranty, including a car which was 12 months and 30,000ks out of warranty, printers, home appliances, cameras, you name it. Supermarkets and shops give refunds almost without question. I get very few knock-backs and people fall over themselves to help. (I am not female, blond or buxom either, so I'm not relying on hormone-driven sympathy.)

Apply the 3 P's at all times

Politeness, Persistence and Patience.

Actually, it's time to add a fourth P: Preparation - know your rights!

There's a fifth P as well: Price, don't go for the bottom priced deal just to save a few dollars. Go for the cheapest deal from a reputable source, and if possible, one where the staff have an acceptable command of the english language. As just one example, DSE have great warranty policies and some of their specials can be very sharply priced, but there are many other good options.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

P.S. Ever tried to win an argument with an insurance company? I succeeded this week and got a $900 claim accepted and no excess! You don't ask, you don't get.

PPPP

Sanco
19-08-2006, 12:26 PM
OK.

1) Exactly how long have you had it?

2) Where did you buy it?

3) I assume it is for personal use, not business.

1) 07 April 2005.

2) Noel Leeming, Hastings.

3) Home office use exclusively as I don't have a business. ;)

Ok. I have followed your instructions, Billy, and contacted Noel Leeming. I spoke to the duty manager as the shop manager would not be in until monday (manager's life, huh!). I explained to her the problem I have encountered with the printer and she was of the opinion that the duration of the machine was a bit on the low side. Unfortunately she did not have the power to make decisions so we need to wait until monday to speak to the manager.

We'll see what the outcome of that conversation be, fingers crossed.

Thank you.

Trev
19-08-2006, 12:56 PM
http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/consumerinfo/cga/index.html

Trevor :)

dolby digital
19-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Very good advice Billy T. I think I was save it for future use.

Of course my Epson inkjet is still going after 12 years so I'm way past the reasonable use if it goes faultly.

Sanco
21-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Well, well ,well...Un-be-lie-vable!!!

I almost bought a new printer, stressed for the best part of a week and at the end...but let's start from the beginning.

On sunday morning I spoke to a friend of mine and he mentioned having had a similar problem with an older epson printer, and although the printer software was pointing at one cartridge in particular the technician replaced another very low cartridge and the problem disappeared. Also Taz mentioned something like this on this thread, so I thought, man my cyan cart is only 20% full so maybe...just maybe...if I replace it...furthermore I have a cyan cart I bought together with the magenta one in the drawer, so no extra hassle. Replaced the cyan cart and now the printer was telling me the magenta and the cyan carts were empty!!
This cannot be, I told myself, too much of a coincidence, right? Could it be a bad batch or something? So I though, well, I am going to buy another epson printer (yeah, I am a sucker I know, but I like the end results from that brand) so if I buy a cyan and a magenta cart from another supplier and the printer still does not work I can always use the carts on the new printer, so what have I got to lose?

I went and bought a cyan and a magenta epson genuine carts from The Warehouse Stationery ($21.99 as opposed to $26.00 at Cart World) and installed them into my printer, the printer recognised the carts immediately and suddenly sprung to life...oh!

Today I went back to CW and mentioned this to them (brought the old carts with me too) and they apologised, refunded me my money and are now looking into the possiblity of a bad batch.

I do not know what else to add to this but that it was a close one, too close for my liking, and that I have learned a huge lesson this time. ;)

KiwiMR2
12-09-2006, 12:03 AM
A reasonable life expectancy for an inkjet printer under domestic use would be 3-5 years. When bought from a retail outlet, and it fails prematurely, the retailer must repair or replace it. Epson's policies are irrelevant, that's the seller's problem, not yours.

Say's you......how longs a peice of string??!! That's the problem with the CGA, it all comes down to an opinion, personally I believe a year on a printer under $300 is pretty resonable.

Take it back to the retailer, tell them that failure after XX months is not reasonable life expectancy and ask them what they can do for you.

Most places would 1st send it away for assesment, now assuming the fault is caused by aftermarket inks & there is say a $60 fee for the time spent faulting it.......how wears the charge then?? The sad fact is that in most instances where I have seen this happen it's often the retailer who ends up paying for it, what protection do retailers have??

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Billy T
12-09-2006, 01:10 AM
Say's you......how longs a peice of string??!! That's the problem with the CGA, it all comes down to an opinion, personally I believe a year on a printer under $300 is pretty resonable.
Say's the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, and no, you won't find $300 printers listed, the law lays down the principles only.

Personally I would not expect anything less than 3 years out of a $300 printer, but that doesn't mean I'd be claiming a new one if it died at 30 months. Every case on its merits.

Most places would 1st send it away for assesment, now assuming the fault is caused by aftermarket inks & there is say a $60 fee for the time spent faulting it.......how wears the charge then?? The sad fact is that in most instances where I have seen this happen it's often the retailer who ends up paying for it, what protection do retailers have?? Cheers KiwiMR2

Fine, they can do that, but the assessment fee is their problem not yours. There is nothing sad about a retailer meeting their legal obligations, it should all be factored into their pricing structure anyway or they shouldn't be in business. If they do it right they could even make a profit out of their contingency fund.

You've got to be honest too and not screw them if you have used crap ink, but a printer should still give reasonable life on aftermarket ink anyway.

I think that the ink isn't really the problem either, it's the loss of profit from not creaming on the cartridge sales. I'd love to see a genuine costing on ink cartidge manufacture too, gram for gram it's one of the most expensive fluids on the planet.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

SurferJoe46
12-09-2006, 03:58 AM
I have a friend with another Epson, and it has a terrible hunger for ink...I thought it was using more than it should and I ran into this site :http://www.bobpowell.net/refill.htm

Not that I am advocating refilling Epson carts, but this is a good read anyway....makes me mad to think that a very high percentage of ink is still in the carts when the chip decides it's empty or too low to work.

I DO refill Canon carts all the time...many times over and over, especially the black ones (BC-03), and have had no problems with them at all...

I also refilled the puny tri-colored one a few times...and although the results were mixed at first, I find using Epson refill kits worked out the best in the Canons. I get great results now and the colors are vivid and real-toned.

KiwiMR2
12-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Say's the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, and no, you won't find $300 printers listed, the law lays down the principles only.

All I can see is Goods must be durable - last for a reasonable time. Your opinion is 3-5 years, mine 1 year.....this is where IMO the CGA is flawed.

but the assessment fee is their problem not yours

So what's stopping the dis-honest people knowingly thrashing there printer to hell, giving it to the retailer claiming warranty, then once the repairer discovers it's the inks or physical damage you expect the retailer to foot that bill!!?? What's fair about that?? Often that is why people prefer not to deal with the repairs direct...because they can't escape the bill if there kid has jammed rubber bands down the paper feed ;)

I think that the ink isn't really the problem either, it's the loss of profit from not creaming on the cartridge sales. I'd love to see a genuine costing on ink cartidge manufacture too, gram for gram it's one of the most expensive fluids on the planet.

Often the aftermarket inks (Intec I use & can comment on) are often very thin & in turn when not used often dry up & cause blockages. I've had to send my Epson in when I didn't print for 3 weeks & the aftermarkets blocked it.....in saying that I just splashed out for some genuines prior to sending it under wty & there was no way for them to blame the aftermarket inks ;)

Cheers
KiwiMR2