PDA

View Full Version : Ihug, is it

jd74
17-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Just me or have they turned to custard since the parent company said they wanted to sell it ? Thinking of changing...but where to go :(

jermsie
17-08-2006, 11:23 PM
In what way, have they turned to custard?

Zippity
18-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Nope, it is just you.

stu161204
18-08-2006, 12:14 AM
As jermsie said in what way have they turned to custard???

motorbyclist
18-08-2006, 12:43 AM
where abouts are you? my ihug does better than my neighbours' slingshot... how is your neighbours'?

JJJJJ
18-08-2006, 06:32 AM
What's supposed to be wrong with IHug? From my observations they are so far in front of everyone else for service and quality of product that the rest are immaterial.

pcuser42
18-08-2006, 08:50 AM
What's wrong? I'm on ihug and I'm not experiencing problems. :confused:

Lizard
18-08-2006, 09:40 AM
What's wrong? I'm on ihug and I'm not experiencing problems. :confused:

While I wasn't with Ihug for broadband, I was with them for dial-up for many years (my first ISP). I made the decision to switch when I went to broadband because the competition was offering a better deal - but the decision was made easier when I realised that the plan that I was on was being charged at the old (higher) rate, and Ihug had not bothered to tell me that was paying $5 a month more than everyone else... When I rang to cancel my account, it was a protracted effort involving being switched between various people, including the obligatory "why are you shifting?" Xnet, by contrast, signed me up in literally 5 minutes, and had me connected in less than the 10 days advertised. Similarly, when I upgraded my plan, the call took a couple of minutes, and the change effected in less than 48 hours. Ihug may have been good once, but I believe they've become too big for their boots, and stories of poor customer service don't surprise me one bit.

pctek
18-08-2006, 09:42 AM
My brother has found the Xnet helpdesk (and Sales) to be excellent.
I think its just small company vs big company. It all goes downhill when they become big (or get bought out by big) like Paradise.

Lizard
18-08-2006, 10:03 AM
My brother has found the Xnet helpdesk (and Sales) to be excellent.
I think its just small company vs big company. It all goes downhill when they become big (or get bought out by big) like Paradise.

I think you're right about the big company vs small company. I guess I've always favoured the underdog...

I just checked out Ihug's plans, and I can't understand why so many people think they're a good deal. Like just about every other provider, they insist on having your toll calling with them, or you pay an extra $10. But Ihug twist it round and say that you'll save $10 if you use them for tolls - despite advertising their plans with this $10 "discount" factored in (as in "from $29.95"). It's misleading. I saw a comparison website that comapred the various plans, and when you take out the "$10 discount", nobody seems to come close to Xnet.

And as for toll rates, if that's what you're interested in, Ihug's are not much better than Telecom's. Ihug's basic rates for capped national calls are more expensive (90c per call) than Xnet. Their "Plus" plan is still more expensive (by about 65c per call), AND you have to pay $4.50 a month for the privilege. All up, my internet and tolls bill would be about $10 more expensive each month AFTER the $10 "discount" if I went with Ihug. I've mentioned this to a lot of people, but because Xnet don't have big fancy ads and a brand name, they won't listen - it's like label clothing, I guess...

/rant.

Cheers

Lizard

autechre
18-08-2006, 12:48 PM
You still only get a measly 10Gig with Xnet (or 20Gig if you want the super expensive option), whereas Ihug, Actrix & others offer much better data caps for not much more $.

Lizard
18-08-2006, 01:01 PM
You still only get a measly 10Gig with Xnet (or 20Gig if you want the super expensive option), whereas Ihug, Actrix & others offer much better data caps for not much more $.

Compare apples with apples though:

Ihug - $59.95 - 10gig on peak/5gig off peak
Xnet - $42.95 - 10gig anytime

for an extra $17, you get 5gigs to play around with off peak - and this off peak/on peak stuff is nonsense. Xnet charge $10/5gig overages, so to bring Xnet up to the same data allowance, it's still $7/month cheaper. And there's no peak/off peak rubbish.

The only thing that Ihug offers in this comparison is a faster d/l - 3.5Mb. And as has been anecdotally reported round here, 3.5Mb is a theoretical maximum, and is hard to reach in many places.

If you had your tolls with Ihug, then they come out in front by $3/month - but you only have to make three 2-hour toll calls to cancel out that advantage. Where Ihug have the advantage is in their heavy usage plans - 60GB caps, etc. But unless you're a leecher running bittorrent 24/7, it's not particularly relevant.

For the average user, Xnet is possibly the best provider around in everything but one respect - they don't provide a "free" adsl modem. I'd recommend Xnet to more people if I didn't also have to give them instructions on where to go to buy a modem, and how to set it up. But for computer-savvy people who aren't into leeching, Xnet is the best bet.

Cheers

Lizard

pctek
19-08-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm with Lizard. Some people aren't too interested in large data limits.

My brother signed up for the 2Mbps/2Gb plan with Xnet.
And he didn't have to have tolls or pay $10 to not have them.

Ninjabear
19-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Compare apples with apples though:

Ihug - $59.95 - 10gig on peak/5gig off peak
Xnet - $42.95 - 10gig anytime

for an extra $17, you get 5gigs to play around with off peak - and this off peak/on peak stuff is nonsense. Xnet charge $10/5gig overages, so to bring Xnet up to the same data allowance, it's still $7/month cheaper. And there's no peak/off peak rubbish.

The only thing that Ihug offers in this comparison is a faster d/l - 3.5Mb. And as has been anecdotally reported round here, 3.5Mb is a theoretical maximum, and is hard to reach in many places.

If you had your tolls with Ihug, then they come out in front by $3/month - but you only have to make three 2-hour toll calls to cancel out that advantage. Where Ihug have the advantage is in their heavy usage plans - 60GB caps, etc. But unless you're a leecher running bittorrent 24/7, it's not particularly relevant.

For the average user, Xnet is possibly the best provider around in everything but one respect - they don't provide a "free" adsl modem. I'd recommend Xnet to more people if I didn't also have to give them instructions on where to go to buy a modem, and how to set it up. But for computer-savvy people who aren't into leeching, Xnet is the best bet.

Cheers

Lizard

$59.95 for 10GB peak 20GB off peak

If you dont use the tolls then it is 10GB off peak and another 10GB peak.

Still I think Ihug is a bit cheaper but lately their speed is sort of slow

roddy_boy
19-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Not to mention Xnet has teh free national.
Xnet ftw.

Paul.Cov
21-08-2006, 03:09 PM
Important note: iHug does NOT charge you for going over your allocated data allowance, they simply slow you down to 64kb/s - or they try.

Last month I did something crazy like 56GB of traffic on my 10+10 iHug plan - obviously most of it at a capped speed, and including uploads, so I was doing about 1GB/$1.00 for the whole month.

This month I've been initially quite bitter with them, as my uncapped speeds were pathetic, but since the cap has hit, I've been surfing faster!!! I think on my account they've got a bit working backwards regarding the cap... and at this rate I'm going to get about 20 days uncapped (despite them thinking I'm capped)... time will tell.

iHug helpdesk however is reported to be absolutely abysmal... if you can even get through to it.

bonkiebonks
21-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I've been with Xtra, Ihug, Orcon, Quicksilver, and Slingshot. I'm now with Slingshot, but my past experience tells me Orcon has the best performance with regards to speed, followed closely by Ihug, Slingshot and Xtra. Quicksilver is just rubbish - terrible speed both national and international.

Price wise, I'd say Slingshot is best. They have great overage plans. You can buy your data when you go over your allocated data. If you don't, you get slowed to dialup. And the prices are reasonable too - $5 for 3GB, $10 for 10GB, $25 for 30GB or $40 for 50GB. :) The only thing is you will need to have your tolls with them - which again isn't that bad! They have the LOWEST landline to mobile rate at 45c a minute, even cheaper than Vodafone Prepay to another Vodafone mobile, or Telecom Prepay to another Telecom mobile. Plus, I also took advantage of their free 12-months free Italk acess charge which is $9.95. If you don't already know, Italk is their VOIP service, and with Italk, you can call NZ mobiles for 30c a minute!!

I'm quite happy with Slingshot, although I'd definitely love to move back to Orcon someday when they roll out their own DSLAM after the LLU is in effect - hopefully with a lower price. :)

Slingshot tolls are the best so far though. :)

Lizard
22-08-2006, 09:55 AM
They have the LOWEST landline to mobile rate at 45c a minute, even cheaper than Vodafone Prepay to another Vodafone mobile, or Telecom Prepay to another Telecom mobile. Plus, I also took advantage of their free 12-months free Italk acess charge which is $9.95. If you don't already know, Italk is their VOIP service, and with Italk, you can call NZ mobiles for 30c a minute!!

Slingshot tolls are the best so far though. :)

http://www.wxc.co.nz/pdfs/destination_anywhere.pdf

Landline to Mobile - Anytime 39c/min

http://www.wxc.co.nz/pdfs/destination_anywhere_plus.pdf

As above, but calls to 021 are only 35c/min

Actually, I noticed that (for new customers at least), capped calling for national calls is $1.99/2 hours. When I signed up, and presumably it still applies for existing customers, the rate was $1.85.

In my experience, WxC are one of the best for toll calls.

As a sidebar to this, I had a problem with toll calls a while back - for some reason, I wasn't able to make toll calls. Thinking it was because I hadn't paid the bill in two months, I rang them up, only to discover that something "mysterious" had happened. All my toll calls had reverted for that period to Telecom. They fixed it, and then asked me to forward to them my telecom bills so they could arrange a refund for the tolls calls that went through Telecom. It turned out the net difference between T/C and WxC rates was only a couple of dollars (there were only three calls), but WxC credited my account with $10. WxC/Xnet get my vote for the friendliest, most helpful, best value telco in NZ.

bonkiebonks
22-08-2006, 02:45 PM
I would switch to Xnet to try them out but I'd only switched to Slingshot in the last month, and when I was looking for a new ISP a month ago, Xnet didn't offer free churning. Both Xnet, and Slingshot offer free churning now, so I guess it's a good time to switch if you're with some crappy ISP.

jd74
22-08-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm with Lizard. Some people aren't too interested in large data limits.

My brother signed up for the 2Mbps/2Gb plan with Xnet.
And he didn't have to have tolls or pay $10 to not have them.

I use less then 10 gig a month, I struggle to do that with the Authentication issues, disconections that I have had from ihug in the last 2 months. I have 10 gig cap( 10 gig off peak which is neve used ) so I should be able to use it how I want! There are legal P2P and bittorents out there.

Buff_K
06-09-2006, 11:46 PM
I've just switched to Ihug from Xtra and sheesh my bit torrents have grinded to a holt, it's amazing. I dunno, I know there's a bazillion variables for bit torrents but man, I have connections with a hundred others and I'm getting 2kbps and stuff.

I'll wait and hope for the best I spose.

JJJJJ
07-09-2006, 07:13 AM
I've just switched to Ihug from Xtra and sheesh my bit torrents have grinded to a holt, it's amazing. I dunno, I know there's a bazillion variables for bit torrents but man, I have connections with a hundred others and I'm getting 2kbps and stuff.

September 7th, 2006 6:03am 2990.1 kbps . Which is my average with IHug

sam m
07-09-2006, 07:35 AM

September 7th, 2006 6:03am 2990.1 kbps . Which is my average with IHug
That's an impressive Bittorrent score Jx5

Buff_K
07-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah, my broadband speed is good when I perform the test (3MB/s), however bit torrents are crawling, and if I try to browse when using BT my browser often times out.

Someone mentioned the free Xtra modems are pretty crap (Dlink 302G), maybe I should try another modem.