PDA

View Full Version : Digital Video Editing

Derf
17-08-2006, 06:22 PM
I have problems with 2 Video Editing programs. Both seem to be installed correctly but neither work for long without an alert coming up telling me Internet Explorer must shut down immediately and any unsaved work will be lost. It does not allow time to save anyway and gives the option of reporting the exception to Mirosoft. That I have done several times but my knowledge ends there! I'm running XP with all cuurent updates, plenty of harddrive free space. CPU is AMD Duron 1.60GHz;512 MB ram.
DVD reader/writer and Firewire board are installed and see to work properly.
I'm using a Panasonic Digital Video Camera NV-GS11GN. One program is Windows Movie Maker (came with XP) and the other is Ulead DVD Movie Factory (software bundled with the Camera). Would appreciate any suggestions.

Jen
17-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Welcome to PressF1 :)

Did you mean Windows Explorer shuts down rather than Internet Explorer?

Also have a look under Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Log Viewer. See if you can find error entries for when the applications crash. They may hold more details to where the fault is.

Derf
17-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Have looked at the log entries as you suggested. Most were logged Application Errors from the MovieMaker.exe. Some were iexplorer (Internet (?)) and these entries are classed as "hangups" where is it also stated "program not responding.
Thanks for your help. I'll work thru more editing and watch the logs.
It seems a little deeper problem at the moment.

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2006, 08:33 PM
How are u importing the video into Moviemaker/DVD Movie Factory??

Or are u just trying to edit video thats already on the hdd?

If you're trying to transfer video from an external device, what are u using? USB or Firewire?? And I take it, u have something like a digital video cam?

And when does it crash? When you're editing it or when you're trying to load video into these programs? Or when you're going to burn them to DVD?

And what version of Moviemaker are you using? 1.xx or 2.1?

Derf
17-08-2006, 09:09 PM
How are u importing the video into Moviemaker/DVD Movie Factory??

Or are u just trying to edit video thats already on the hdd?

If you're trying to transfer video from an external device, what are u using? USB or Firewire?? And I take it, u have something like a digital video cam?

And when does it crash? When you're editing it or when you're trying to load video into these programs? Or when you're going to burn them to DVD?

And what version of Moviemaker are you using? 1.xx or 2.1?
I have imported the video from directly from a Panasonic Digital Video Camera NV-GS11GN thru a Firewire. This works. And I've also tried to edit video files already on the Hdd. Either way it usually crashes at any time. No pattern. If I make a straight out DVD disc without any attempt to edit it works perfectly and burns from the Camera Tape to DVD disc without any problems.
MovieMaker is version 2.1.

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2006, 09:34 PM
I would try defragging the hdd, and cleaning the temp files etc on the hdd with ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com)

Then see if its any better

Another thing, whats the hdd formatted in?? NTFS or FAT32?

And how big are the video files, you're editing? Are they bigger than 4GB..??

Because FAT32 has a limit of 4GB for files.

Derf
18-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Have downloaded and used Ccleaner as suggeted. If nothing else this has certainly cleaned a lot of junk from my computer, thanks!
The hdd is sytem32. I've used only small video clips, well within the 4MB limitation.

After the clean-up I tried to edit a few clips from the hdd into MovieMaker and for a few minutes it seemed to work. The cips went onto the story line ok but the application then crashed! The event report stated it was an application fault (similar to earlier reports) so I'm back to square one!!
I've started again (twice) from scratch with no better results...

Derf
18-08-2006, 06:39 PM
My last posting stated "4MB" in error. I meant 4GB, of course.