PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to change Bios... need help.

misosoupy
17-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm trying to reformat and reinstall windows, but I can't seem to change my BIOS settings to make it boot up fromt he CD-Rom drive. Everytime I change the BIOS settings and exit out and save change the computer immediately shuts off and won't start up again unless I unplug my psu. And then when I start upit says that I need to chANGE MY cpu speed because the system wasn't shut down properly but when i try to change anything in the BIOS and exit and save, again the system shuts down automatically. My only option (that I'm aware of) is to pop out the lithium battery out of the motherboard to rset the BIOS. I have an ASUS A7V8X-E Deluxe board. I already flashed the BIOS using the ASUSupdate tool. Man... :waughh: I need help.

Shortcircuit
17-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Have you tried using the jumper setting on the M/board to reset the real time clock?

the jumpers are next to the battery labeled CLRTC, normal position is '1, 2' (both jumpers left side of the three), moving the jumpers to '2,3' position will clear CMOS and all system settings.

Remove battery first, move jumpers to 2,3 position for 5-10 seconds, move them back to 1,2 position re-install battery and turn on comp.

misosoupy
18-08-2006, 03:45 AM
Sorry for the late reply, had to work all day. But yeah I was wondering, do i need to unplug the psu and then remove the battery and reset the jumper or does it not matter?

Shortcircuit
18-08-2006, 01:30 PM
No, you don't need to unplug the PSU inside the case, but to be on the safe side switch off the comp with the switch on the back of the case (if it has one) or unplug the mains power cord.

Don't forget to switch the switch back on when you reboot or nothing will happen :)

misosoupy
18-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Alrighty, so I did what you suggested. I powered off the computer, switched off the psu, popped outt he lithium battery and switched the CKRTC! jumper setting from the 1.2 position to the 2,3 position for 15 seconds and the moved the jumper settings back to the 1,2 position and popped the lithium battery back in, turned the psu back on and powered up the computer. I went into the advanced BIOS settings and changed the boot sequence, hit F10 to save and exit... and it automatically shuts down again. :yuck: So frustrating. Am I doing something wrong? Any other suggestions? Oh and BTW I really apppnciate all the help .

Shortcircuit
18-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Doesn't sound good. Did you update the bios with Asus update just before all the problems started?

Maybe an 'expert' on here like PCtech or Mr Metla can suggest something :help:

misosoupy
18-08-2006, 08:13 PM
yeah I updated the BIOS. I mean the computer runs fine I suppose, but I want to format the hardrive but I can't change the BIOS settings... :waughh:

Paul.Cov
21-08-2006, 05:07 PM
No guarantee of success... but you could try this.

Providing your BIOS is already stuck on a cascading order of BOOT devices, like C: then A: then CD you could simply make the HDD fail the boot sequence so that the CD is then looked for.

Change the HDD cable to the secondary connector on the motherboard, and change the HDD jumper from master to slave positions, and you just might have stopped the system from booting from it... maybe.