PDA

View Full Version : problem with Zone Alarm

Alison
17-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone, I've just read the threads about Supergrans' query about using Zone Alarm vs ADSL modem firewall, which sorted out my query on that topic. However, I've just had a problem with my network as follows and wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and knows why.

I have my main computer (WIN XP) connected by cable to my wireless router plus a second computer (WIN Me) and lap top both connected by wireless, plus a Canon photocopier. I have Zone Alarm (free version) installed on the main computer. All was going smoothly until Monday when the main computer lost access to the internet/email and I couldn't get the computers to recognise each other or the photocopier. The Win ME computer and laptop still had internet access. The main computer was very slow to load Windows and wouldn't go into sleep mode so I would have to reboot it to stop it hanging. I ran virus checkers and antispyware programs but no improvement.

I was about to take the main computer in to have it checked out when I thought to turn off Zone Alarm and turn back on Windows Firewall to see what happened and I got the internet access back. Turned Zone Alarm back on and everything is sweet again. At least I know for next time it happens but I'd like to know why or if anyone else has had this problem since most people seem to run Zone Alarm with no hassles.

Thanks for any input.

martnz
17-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Hi Alison,

Take a pat on the back for doing exactly the right thing!

I have used Zone Alarm for years with no problems - guess it's as trouble free as anything can be in the PC world.

Computers are hugely complex systems, and even with Windows XP, can get confused and generate all sorts of weird issues. At least 99% of the time, restarting the program, and/or the whole computer, will fix things with a lot less effort than trying to figure out the exact cause.

If the same problem happens several times a week (say), is likely you will find heaps of people have the same problem and someone has already figured out the answer...

Regards, Martnz

pctek
17-08-2006, 02:11 PM
Blame Windows.

Yesterday I received my new printer. Plugged it in, it asked for the driver, I pointed it at the CD and it installed happily (a Windows approved driver too BTW).
I then went into the Printers folder as I was going to check all the settings, A4 paper, medium print quality all that stuff when my screen blanked came back up and it had lost the printer.
:eek:

I was just staring at it wondering what it thought it was doing when I noticed my screen res had changed and Zone Alarm was off as well now. Loaded it again and it had absolutely NO programs listed or anything, in fact not even my IP in Zones. At which point Windows suddenly starts wanting to re-do drivers for:
Processor
Chipset
Graphics
Keyboard
etc etc

:groan:

At which point I gave up trying to repair it and re-imaged it from my Ghost backup. (Faster)
Reinstalled printer in exactly the same way and everything was happy this time.

And no, there was no malware or anything - just Windows being its usual crap self.

:yuck:

drcspy
17-08-2006, 05:46 PM
hm..........generally with usb printers the way to install is to NOT plug it in first.......you firstly install the software and about half way thru the install it'll say 'make sure the printer is turned on and plugged in'.......THATS when you plug in the usb connection.......if you plug it in FIRST and then run the install they dont seem to install correctly

pctek
18-08-2006, 02:36 PM
hm..........generally with usb printers the way to install is to NOT plug it in first.......you firstly install the software and about half way thru the install it'll say 'make sure the printer is turned on and plugged in'.......THATS when you plug in the usb connection.......if you plug it in FIRST and then run the install they dont seem to install correctly
Yes drcspy. In particular with Win98. However, inserting the CD the first thing it wants to do is find the printer and install the driver. Regardless it shouldn't cause Windows to self-destruct like that.

Besides, like I said, it was fine 2nd time round.

It obviously thought I needed a bit of excitement.