PDA

View Full Version : Printer Port

Lurking
16-08-2006, 05:15 PM
My wife has a PCGeneral P1 machine running WIn98SE.

Have put a Canon printer on through the 2 USB ports and it runs ok.

Trying to put a Canon 350 scanner on through the Printer port, but it it not recognised and the pc crashes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lurking.

Ps. Would the USB card have taken anything away from the parallel port connection.

lurks.

Trev
16-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Putting a scanner on the printer port ??????

Trevor :)

Terry Porritt
16-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Putting a scanner on the printer port ??????

Of course, if the scanner is a parallel port connected scanner. There wasn't always USB around. :)

Edit extra: the scanner will need the right drivers, is there a CD that comes with it?

Pete O'Neil
16-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Terry weren't external SCSI ports the physically the same as parrallel ports? - its been a while since ive used external SCSI devices, but i vaguely remember an old scanner i had that used them, and came with a warning not to plug it into a parrallel port.

Terry Porritt
16-08-2006, 06:52 PM
I think that's right Pete. I never used any scsi devices, but checking on 'connectors' in "The Hardware Book", there was an external SCSI D-Sub 25 pin female that would have been identical to a printer port.

http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/storage/scsiexternalamigamac.html

Edit: I used to run a scanner and printer off the LPT1 port, and things like webcams off USB on a computer that had Win98SE. The two port systems are quite independent, so having a USB printer should not affect a LPT1 scanner. But I cant think of why there should be a problem.

Sweep
16-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Terry weren't external SCSI ports the physically the same as parrallel ports? - its been a while since ive used external SCSI devices, but i vaguely remember an old scanner i had that used them, and came with a warning not to plug it into a parrallel port.

One of my older scanners came with a SCSI card. From memory it was a Mustek. You had to install the card then the scanner and drivers. Someone else had one and the same scanner and wondered why it would not work. He had it plugged into the printer port instead of the scsi card.

Some of the very expensive scanners of the day had the same system. I remember a while ago that another person upgraded to WinXP and his scanner would not work. I set up a dual boot Win98 and WinXP as we could not get drivers for the card for XP. The cable for the scanner will plug into the LPT1 port as it was fairly much the same if 25 pin.

I have also used another scanner which went into the LPT1 then you plugged the printer into the scanner or maybe vice versa. It has been a while now. :-)

I have checked Canons web site and I see no drivers or manuals for a 350 scanner.

Trev
16-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Is this the Canon Micro Film Scanner MS 350. If so it runs off a SCSI port. You need a scsi card for it. Get the latest drivers for it from here (http://www.usa.canon.com/html/download/ms350.html)
for more info do a search useing google.

godfather
16-08-2006, 08:58 PM
But it may be too late?

Parallel <--> SCSI can be physically damaging if a parallel device is plugged into a SCSI port, not sure about the damage other way round.

Lurking
17-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all your replies and sorry I did not reply last evening.

We are on the Xtra 0700 to 1700 hour rate and as can be expected this group go to the bottom of the waiting list, 19minutes just to connect and another 12 minutes to see that there were 7 replies to my query.

Yes there are still a lot of older pcs' and older blokes still around, who are behind the 8 ball when it comes to the ins and outs of computers.

The scanner is of the "daisy chain" variety, the parallel cable goes from the printer port into the back of the scanner and the printer connects to the rear of the scanner, all in accordance with the manual.

The cd software and drivers have all loaded successfully and machine was re-booted as performed by software.

Try to connect to the scanner and it is not recognised, have sgut down and plugged the connection back in without success.

Not tech. minded, is there a card behind the parallel port?

Thanks again all for your continued assistance.

Lurking.

Ps. Scanner is the Canon N340/N640P brand and the parallel port variety..

lurks.

Lurking
17-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Silly me,one thing I should have done, was to give the connections a good dusting, as the older pc has sure to have collected some dust in the connection.

This is always mentioned on pressf1 regarding ram seating.

Will do this later, us oldies have other things to do like Church bowls etc.

Lurking.

Graham L
17-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Since it's a parallel port scanner it ought to work fine. The problems witrh those usually occurred when you had a printer sharing the port.

Check the mode the port is set to in the BIOPS. The scanner might need one of the "new" modes, ECP or EPP, to work correctly. Or it might want the traditional mode. :D

(SCSI 1 cards for the PC often used 25 pin DB connectors like the PC printer and serial ports port --- because it took less space than the SCSI1 connector. Apple used it as standard at the computer end. There was one other manufacturer who used a mutually assured destruction different SCSI pinout on the 25 pin connectors. SCSI devices often didn't survive being connected to serial ports ... -12 volts would get them even if +12 didn't. SCSI uses 5 V so should be reasonably safe on parallel port.)

Lurking
17-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Very sorry for the trouble I have caused on this one.

The 2 pcs' are Pentium 1 and about the same age, the only difference is the number of pins on the male and female connections!!!.

25 for scanner and 26 for the other computer.

Thanks again to all who helped out on this one.

Lurking.

Lurking
18-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Now that it's morning and the brain is working a bit better. have taken the parallel cable out of pc and there are only 25 holes, so the PR5 PCI Main Board manual is wrong.

Have been through both BIOS menus:

Digital Venturis 5100 P1, the machine able to work the scanner.

Phoenix BIOS 1985-1995
No mention of Parallel or Serial Ports in the menu.

General machine, the macchine we want to connect scanner to.

ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (2A59GA1A)
CMOS Setup Utility
Award Software, Inc

Shows: PCI & Onboard I/O Setup
Onboard Serial Port 1 Auto
Onboard Serial Port 2 Disabled

* Onboard Parallel Port 378/IRQ7
-Parallel Port Mode Normal

*Has a "Disabled" option

Would replacing 378/IRQ7 with the Disabled option affect the computer from operating?.
Everything in the Device Manager on both machines is identical, except for the Resource type which are reversed:

Interupt 07
Input/Output Range 0378.037F

Thanks again,

Lurking.

Trev
18-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Your 25 pin plug is a scsi plug. Get a scsi card to put inside your computer and plug the scanner into that. I use to run a Iomega Zip drive a few years ago and it needed a scsi card to run off. A PCI scsi card cost about $70.

Graham L
18-08-2006, 01:45 PM
But Trev, a scanner which is made to be daisychained with a printer (as this on is) doesn't have a SCSI connector. :D

Lurking, go back into the BIOS and try to change that printer mode from "Normal". You might have EPP or ECP or EPP/ECP as options. Try any or all modes available until you find one which does work. :cool:

Terry Porritt
18-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Right forget the scsi stuff, this scanner definitely connects to a parallel port.

http://download.canon.com.au/manuals/canoscan_n340640p_manual.pdf

Obviously the port must not be disabled in BIOS or it definitely wont work :)

Pages 39/41 of the manual discuss the port settings, and also says run a Canon utility CD in case of problems.

It is always possible that either the scanner, or the parallel port (or the cable) is stuffed.

Sweep
18-08-2006, 09:43 PM
A 350 is very different to a 640. It would be nice to know what we are dealing with.

I think Terrey is right on the money.

Lurking appears to have a serial port like Com 1 or 2 one of which may be disabled so the modem works. Parallel ports are a different animal. COM1 or COM2 could also have 25 pins or 9 for that matter.

I can't see it from here.

beama
19-08-2006, 08:51 AM
I have one of those scanners and you need to set the Lpt port mode to ecp in the BIOS and its certainly is a parallel port scanner.

Lurking
19-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks again folks.

Sweep, this post is starting to buildup now, but as stated in my original post, the machine is a Canon N340P/N640P.

Yes the machine is a daisychain and a 25 pin to 25 pin.

Changed the BIOS setting to Disabled, this now brings up the scanner screen, press Preview and the same statement appears, Attach the Scanner, but it doesn't locup the machine.

The Main Board is a PRS PCI if that's any help and the only extra items put on have been a Dual USB card and a "don't laugh" and 5.25in floppy drive, needed for an old Works collection of stored data.

Lets hope our helpful pressf1 team can solve this one.

Lurking.

Lurking
19-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Graham L, thanks for the BIOS settings.

Have these settings for parallel port:

Disabled
3BC/IRQ7
378/IRQ7 which was the setting that it was set at for the old printer.
278/IRQ5
Disabled

Those are the only readings PgUp and PgDown showed.

Lurking.

Terry Porritt
19-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Pages 40/41 of the manual indicates that the scanner will work if the parallel port is set to a "standard parallel port" or SPP, but will operate only very slowly.

If your computer does not have enhanced port options like EPP, ECP, then it must be quite old. With a computer of that age, then it would not be that surprising if the port was wonky.

The 378/IRQ7 setting is the normal one, the others listed are just alternatives, such as if you have more than one parallel port. Perhaps you could see if you could lay your hands on a PCI parallel port card (assuming your computer has PCI :) ), or test out the port with a printer attached.

(If you are anywhere near Upper Hutt I have a nearly new DSE 'Dolphin' brand bi-directional high speed parallel port card that I will never use again, 2 in fact.)

Lurking
19-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Hi Terry, like me it's pretty old. Wanted to ditch one of the 3 pc's & 1 laptop we have.

Will try it on the IBM P11 machine otherwise will just have to put it back on the Digital P1 (which it works well on) and which is similar in construction to the PC General P1.

Tried the ECP setting, locked the pc up.

Took the cover off, needed good dusting blowout, strap was secure in both locations.

Regards,

Lurking.

Ps. live in the mainland now!.

lurks.

Lurking
20-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks to all those who offered help.

Terry, I must learn to read the Manual thoroughly.

The scanner is now working, a bit slow, but I see where it can be speeded up through the BIOS, this may be a bit more tricky, but will attempt it.

Regards to all.

Lurking.