PDA

View Full Version : Firefox is Spyware

JJJJJ
15-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Spybot finds two spyware entries in Firefox.
Delete them but they just return.

Why does everyone keep praising Firefox?

drcspy
15-08-2006, 08:34 AM
um........so YOU know more than millions of users ?.......ah.........WHAT exactly does the scan find ?

The_End_Of_Reality
15-08-2006, 08:36 AM
Because FF is not IE or MS :p

I have never picked anything up... what version are you running? are you sure it is not a third party plugin or extension that is causing this?

kjaada
15-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Where are all the other reports of anything like this.May be sulphure infection.

JJJJJ
15-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Avenue A. INC
Double Click

They both say, "Tracking Cookie (Firefox Default) Double click.ID"/AvenueA.ID

And my Firefox was the latest downloaded two days ago from Mozilla web site.

Rob99
15-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Tracking cookies are hardly worth worring about, you will get those double click cookies everywhere, dosent matter what browser you use, unless you block cookies just ignore them.

drcspy
15-08-2006, 09:45 AM
tracking cookies hardly qualify as spyware, and are downloaded by the websites you are viewing along with the site files.......you CAN block cookies in firefox and tracking cookies in NO WAY equate to firefox itself being 'spyware' lol......

bardin
15-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Some of those malware detection programs use methods whereby they scan for the type of activity that malware (viruses, trojans, spyware etc) utilises. Some kocher software also accesses the same areas and performs the same functions as malware, so I'm thinking Spybot might be picking this up.
Just one of the possibilities.

You shuold run another spyware detection program and see whether it picks anything up as well. Also do a Google search on the files that have been identified as malware.

gibler
15-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Install the adblock extension (along with FiltersetG.updater) - It should probably block those cookies and remove ads of course..

Overdrive_5000
15-08-2006, 10:42 AM
nothing to worry bout here just another F.U.D post

superuser
15-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Stating that Firefox is spyware is quite a bold statement, especially when you follow it up by thinking that cookies are a part of Fireworks.

Myth
15-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Just as an aside, spyware/viruses are all built from code (the type of code depends on the writers expertise in whatever language). Sometimes, a piece of the code from a virus will share similar bits of code to a legit application. Some antiviruses/antispyware run from a database of [bits of] code. Occassionally, the code within the legit app that is similar to the virus code will be detected as a virus. This is where the term false-positive comes from.

Hope this makes some sense for those who didn't know :)

beama
15-08-2006, 02:29 PM
just set firefox to keep cookies untill its closed then once ff is is shutdown the cookies are gone

apparition
15-08-2006, 09:35 PM
tools - options - privacy
cookies tab

select
allow sites to set cookies
-- for the origating site only

and if you're really worried

keep cookies: until I close firefox

doubleclick is a massive series of advertising servers

get the latest adblock extension - you don't need the filterset g updater anymore as updating is built-in

Try doing that in IE

SurferJoe46
16-08-2006, 02:37 AM
FYI:

...........doubleclick runs and inserts cookies whenever I click into F1 !....it shows on my loading bar with SpoofStick's utility. :D

I never bother with it...but it is harmless and even though SpyBot finds it and cleans it every time, it has never caused me any troubles.