PDA

View Full Version : Removing old dual bootup screen

Ravage
14-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Howdy

I'm setting up an oldish computer to be used by some less than computer literate friends.

The PC used to have a knoppix distro installed with a partion set aside for windows. As a consequence when the pc was booted up a LILO bootscreen appears asking which operating system to boot up with.

I am intending to put win98 on the pc so I used fdisk to remove all the linux and windows partitions (4 in total) then split the 40 gig harddrive into 2 partitions using fdisk (no problems there).

I then formatted both partitions as FAT32 and restarted the pc. The LILO bootscreen still appears and if not quick enough tries to boot up linux which is no longer there.

I intend to install win98 in the next few days but was wondering how to either remove the LILO bootloader or set it so it automatically loads windows once it is installed.

Cheers

Ravage

Rob99
14-08-2006, 12:43 AM
fdisk /mbr

Ravage
14-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Howdy

So do I just boot up with the floppy in the drive and type fdisk /mbr at the A:\ prompt?

cheers

Ravage

drcspy
14-08-2006, 11:05 AM
yep

Terry Porritt
14-08-2006, 01:18 PM
However, there is most likely a non-dos linux partition of a few megabytes still on the HDD that Microsoft FDISK cannot remove, that's why you had the bootloader firing up.

I have used Partition Magics' pqmagict.exe, a dos utility that will remove partitions that FDISK cannot. I understand that Linux cfdisk will do the same thing.

Ravage
15-08-2006, 02:27 AM
Cheers Rob99

fdisk /mbr seemed to do the trick

next step, install win 98 ;)

Ravage