PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing Windowx XP and formatting new hard-drives! PC inoperable...

Josh Savoy
13-08-2006, 06:56 AM
So I had two PCs that my dad kinda ruined so I combined parts and am doing some sort of frankenstein deal here. I got two 80gb drives running together and I had them running fine. I have the master and slave all worked out, and at one point it was running clean. The problem was is there was two XP OS available and one of the drives still had a few viruses. So I went to format the drive (it was the slave), but it wouldn't let me. I tried Safe Mode to format, but it still didn't work.

I figured I'd just reformat with XP, but thats where I come into my problem. There was no option for reformatting when I went to install XP. I could reformat the master, but not the slave. So I figured I'd try fixing XP's original installation and see if that helped. Here's where the problems kick in. About 3/4 the way of installing devices, the system would reboot and go back into setup and process till 3/4 the way of installing devices, then reboot; rinse repeat; rinse repeat.

This went on for a bit, so I turned it off and tried disconnecting that drive so I could just boot from the master drive. One drive is better than none, right? I booted and got an error "NTLDR cannot be found" or something like that which made me CTRL-ALT-DEL to reboot. This just kept going over and over again.

After cursing for over an hour I disconnected the master and put the slave in, so I could try finishing the install for that. Now it goes through the Windows startup screen, initializes the setup, then goes to a black screen with the mouse. The mouse is moveable, so its not a freeze.

This sucks :annoyed:

Anyone got any ideas? I'm not tooooo knowledgeable about stuff like this, and it seems like my fiddling got me in trouble, so I figured I'd just go ask for help.

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2006, 07:13 AM
Try another IDE cable. Was the BIOS on AUTO for both of them?

Did the BIOS show the brand/model of both?

If the hdd's are in working condition, I would try another cable first.

Which IDE connector did u put both on? Primary?

And r u sure you put the IDE cable the right way round?

You did put the XP cd in (and make it the bootdisk in the BIOS), and boot from it, when u went to format didnt u? A clean install?

Josh Savoy
13-08-2006, 07:18 AM
Try another IDE cable. Was the BIOS on AUTO for both of them?

Did the BIOS show the brand/model of both?

If the hdd's are in working condition, I would try another cable first.

Which IDE connector did u put both on? Primary?

And r u sure you put the IDE cable the right way round?

You did put the XP cd in (and make it the bootdisk in the BIOS), and boot from it, when u went to format didnt u? A clean install?

Haha... sorry, like I said, I'm not too experienced, I'm not familiar with most of the terminology. How do I access the BIOS?

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Haha... sorry, like I said, I'm not too experienced, I'm not familiar with most of the terminology. How do I access the BIOS?

Depends what brand of computer you have.

You have to press either, Del, F1,F2,F10 (or a combination of Alt/F2, Ctrl/F2) key as soon as the system boots, to access the BIOS.

If u have an HP system, it maybe F2, F10 or Ctrl/F2, or Alt/F2 at the same time.

This is where u have to change the bootdisk to the CD. If you want to do a clean install. This is also where u should be able to check whether both IDE channels (for whatever ide devices), are set to AUTO. And whether the BIOS is picking up / detecting whatever IDE devices.

pctek
13-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Then why are you trying to build one working PC out of 2 faulty ones?
You say your dad ruined them so what are you doing? Making it worse?

Take it to a tech.

Josh Savoy
13-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Then why are you trying to build one working PC out of 2 faulty ones?
You say your dad ruined them so what are you doing? Making it worse?

Take it to a tech.

Fixed it.

Thanks everyone for your help.