PDA

View Full Version : Linux - Any way to mount a Vfat partition as anything other than root?

personthingy
12-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Current set up has this line in fstab:

/dev/hdb3 /stuff vfat defaults,noatime 1 1

I'm told vfat (fat32) has no capability of storing such details as file ownership, so of course the entire thing is seen as property of root, is there anyway at all to make it say
owner = root
group = users
or something that is able to be read and written to by all users?

i'm using vfat as this is a dual boot machine, so i have to use something that can be seen by windows users as well.

gibler
12-08-2006, 04:35 PM
fstab options (http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html)
You need the option "user" don't you, to allow non-root users to mount i.e. you want to not use "defaults" as this has nouser set.

For FAT you can also use the option uid=n, gid=n (where n is the user id and group id as a number )..

Jen
12-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Just use this in fstab:

/dev/hdb3 /stuff vfat auto,umask=000,user 0 0

personthingy
12-08-2006, 04:55 PM
So instead of:

/dev/hdb3 /stuff vfat defaults,noatime 1 1

should i have:

/dev/hdb3 /stuff vfat noatime user uid=0 gid=100 1 1

where 0=root, and 100=users?

OK, i just saw Jens post, i'll try that first.. it seems the right size :p

Jen
12-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Make sure you change the final two columns to 0 0 as well. Seeing as it is a vfat partition you do not want linux doing a dump and fsck on it (and no, I am not being rude, those are proper linux terms :rolleyes: )

personthingy
12-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Jen,
That was brilliant, works better than i could have asked for..

What i have now is the ability to write anything in the fat32 partition, but only root can make changes once its there.........

Perfect :)

Jen
12-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Anyone should also be able to make changes as well eg, create and delete folders and files.

personthingy
12-08-2006, 05:45 PM
your right... don't no what i did to think i couldn't :p me

personthingy
26-08-2006, 09:30 AM
Make sure you change the final two columns to 0 0 as well. Seeing as it is a vfat partition you do not want linux doing a dump and fsck on it (and no, I am not being rude, those are proper linux terms :rolleyes: )At risk of sounding rude...........

What is "dump and fsck" and exactly how does the "0 0" relate to these doings?

Jen
26-08-2006, 10:07 AM
man dump
man fsck

dump is a ext2/ext3 filesystem backup - therefore not much use on a Windows filesystem. By putting a 0 in the 5th column of fstab it tells dump to ignore this partition.

fsck is a Linux filesystem checker. For when good things go bad :eek: . If you turn off the computer at the wall while it is still running, you will see fsck running during next bootup to check the integrity of the filesystem. It will occasionally check a Linux filesytem during bootup after X amount of mounts since it was last checked. Again, not terribly useful on a Windows filesystem. The fstab 6th column number indicates whether it is to skip that partition (set as 0) or the number indicates what order the fsck is to check the partitions in.

:)