PDA

View Full Version : what's the problem?

kale
11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
hi, my notebook has got a problem:
when i started it, it will show messages like this:

"checking file system on c:
the type of the file system is FAT32

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Volume Serial Number is xxxxxxx
Windows is verifying files and folders……"

Anybody know this? what's the problem?how can i deal with it?
thanks in advance

Graham L
11-08-2006, 04:07 PM
You normally get that message when the system has just stopped ; not properly shut down. Tripping over a power cord, or living in Auckland can do it :D A laptop should not do this, unless it's like mine which runs without a battery.

It gives you the option to stop the test. Don't. Let it go until it finishes, and it should not bother you again, unless you get another "abrupt" shutdown.

If it is happening every time you start up, and you have let it do the fixing, there is possibly some fault with the hard disk. But disk problems usually causes different messages. This message indicates a "file system" problem, not a hardware one.

kale
11-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Hi, Thanks for that.
But the same message appears every time when i start, and after the checking, the computer will be frozen. i have no choice but force it shut down.
Is it serious enough to take it to repair?
thanks

Graham L
11-08-2006, 05:28 PM
It should not do that every time. It is running scandisk/chkdsk, and it should either fix it up or tell you that it can't. It should not freeze up afterwards, either.

What version of Windows do you have, by the way? It doesn't make any difference to the problem, but someone might be able to suggest something.

It's serious enough to stop you using the machine. If it's still covered by a guarantee, get it to the shop as soon as possible. :D

kale
11-08-2006, 05:35 PM
thanks again.
i have no idea why it's so annoying. :badpc:

pctek
11-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Either Windows has a big problem that its trying (and failing) to fix or your hard drive itself has a big problem.