PDA

View Full Version : Error message booting HP Pavillion - new computer

R.M.
10-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Last weekend I went to help a friend set-up a new computer (a HP Pavillion, $1599.00 from Harvey Norman). Got the monitor and keyboard all plugged in, turned on the power, and lights in all the right places. However - while booting up there was an error message:

"isass.exe/system error. While trying to update the return status indicates the value provided as the current password is incorrect."

The boot up process then proceded to cycle around with the error message showing up each time, and booting didn't complete.

The error message doesn't seem quite correct, but that is as best I can remember it - the computer is there, and I am here!

Harvey Norman says 'ring HP', which we plan to do, but thought a question here might be helpful.

Do you know if their 'Help desk' operates at the weekend? As this is really the only time I have free to help my friend (and I don't feel I'm much help at the moment!)

Thanks again, in anticipation. :)

Agent_24
10-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Anyone could make a brand new computer work, Except HP.
That's why no-one should ever buy anything from them.

I think the computer will need a full reinstall/recovery of windows.

KiwiMR2
10-08-2006, 06:36 PM
The Helpline is not open in the weekends :(

Try pressing F10 (just keep pressing, not just once) and see if this takes you into the recover partition....if it DOESN'T then take it back to the store & ask for a new one. They should be smart enough to also try it to confirm & should then be more than happy to swap it over. It's withen HP's DOA period so don't let them try and make you sort it or send it for repair.

Cheers
KiwiMR2

godfather
10-08-2006, 06:48 PM
This describes the cause, which is that the PC may have been interrupted during the install process, causing an OOBE (Out of the Box Experience...)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316134

pctek
10-08-2006, 07:03 PM
..if it DOESN'T then take it back to the store & ask for a new one. TIt's withen HP's DOA period so don't let them try and make you sort it or send it for repair.

In fact take it back and get a refund and go to a REAL computer shop and buy a REAL computer from a REAL technician.

R.M.
10-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks, Goddy. I don't think I interruped anything during the initial start up - however... The resolution in Microsoft Knowledge Base talks about using the 'recovery' disk. I have rung my friend - there isn't one!

So, she is going to ring HP Help tomorrow, and see where we go from there.

Thanks for all your comments. Will report back in due course.

Cheers

KiwiMR2
10-08-2006, 07:34 PM
The resolution in Microsoft Knowledge Base talks about using the 'recovery' disk. I have rung my friend - there isn't one!

So, she is going to ring HP Help tomorrow, and see where we go from there.

Cheers

Did you not see my post??

Try pressing F10 (just keep pressing, not just once) and see if this takes you into the recover partition

If F10 does not work the partition will need to be re-loaded....at which point they should swap yours for another new one.

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Agent_24
10-08-2006, 07:37 PM
In fact take it back and get a refund and go to a REAL computer shop and buy a REAL computer from a REAL technician.
Exactly :).

R.M.
10-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Yes, I did see your post - I am trying to direct proceeding over the phone! And yes she did try pressing f10, but I need to be there to see what is happening. She tells me nothing happened.

She is at home tomorrow - so can ring HP, I have to go to work.... :(

Cheers

KiwiMR2
10-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes, I did see your post - I am trying to direct proceeding over the phone! And yes she did try pressing f10, but I need to be there to see what is happening. She tells me nothing happened.

She is at home tomorrow - so can ring HP, I have to go to work.... :(

Cheers

It sounds like time is a bit of an issue......the HP Helpline will take up even more & Im 99% sure they will just tell you to try F10, not before the 10-15 min wait listening to music, then you'll need to start with your 1st name & your last name, and a hint....just spell it out 1st time as even if so say "Andrew Smith" they will still ask how do you spell that ;) It will probably be in India (Bangalore)

Once they have your name, address, model number, serial number, part number they will ask what the fault is.....tell you to re-boot pressing F10 & if it doesn't work they will probably give you a TR number & tell you to take it to the nearest repair agent. They don't understand things like the consumer guarantees act so just take it back to Harveys. Will be interesting to see if you don't pompt them weather they will willingly offer a replacement straight away or attempt to send it off for repair.

Let us know how you get on :)

If as soon as you power it on and continuosly press F10 nothing happens & you still get the error HP won't be able to sort it....the F10 recovery is the answer to roughly 70% of there solutions :(

Cheers
KiwiMR2

linw
10-08-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm with kiwi - tell her to demand one that works. Don't get involved in someone else's problems which is what will happen if you do what Harvey Norman want. Tell them to ring HP for a fix and either replace it or give her her money back.

There, that feels better!!

R.M.
11-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for all your comments and help last night :). I was getting a bit tired and scratchy, but have passed the messages on to my friend. I rang again, and repeated the instructions about 'F10' - and something on the screen changed. Another friend's son was going to help, so I told my friend 'not to touch anything' until he arrived.

Hopefully all is sorted out by now - I'll find out later in the day!

Cheers